A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

What are you reading now? - Page 8 Hca_button

What are you reading now?

+20
KtMcG
freebird
mr_sfstk8d
Devonmama
Chilli-head
flute
Kavius
Jaded Green
Dandelion
Green Rosie
polgara
Adrian
seileasdar
Snoopka
Sparhawk
MrsC
Aberlemno
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Compostwoman
MrsNesbitt
24 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

What are you reading now? - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Dandelion 5th July 2014, 1:17 pm

Just reading a good murder to get me through to the end of term...

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th January 2015, 11:28 am

I wasn't going to mention this one, which my BIL chose for me for christmas, as it is a bit of an oddity. But as we were talking about walking and frostbite in the tea room ...

I have never been terribly troubled by appearing a tad eccentric, but sometimes it is nice when you find a  context in which you feel, for a little while at least, quite normal.  Attending the Bodger's ball is a bit like that, as is reading this book: Microadventures, by Alastair Humphreys. He describes himself as an adventurer, author and motivational speaker.  Some might add "bit of a nut" !

His thrust seems to be injecting a sense of adventure into life, not by going on far flung explorations, but by discovering more nearby adventure, often found by making largely spurious journeys on foot, by bike or packraft.  Or combinations thereof.  He is a fan of making use of what he calls the 5 to 9 - the hours left as your own outside of work.  This might involve striking out from your desk, on foot armed with a backpack and bivvy bag, to spent the night sleeping wild on a hill somewhere to return by train to the office for work the next day.  All sorts of other escapes from the norm are covered in is book (and most of them on the website, by the look of it, if you want a flavour).  Many involve wild camping, some involve campfire cookery.  Most involve a child-like sense of adventure and fun that grown ups somehow seem to forget about, and perhaps we should thank him for reminding us.

All makes my walks to work on a frosty morning look a bit tame really.

One final thing, from Alastair's blog:

My advice on how to turn your adventures into a career distills down to these few points, written in decreasing order of importance:

1:  Do good stuff. (Without this, you have nothing)
  2:  Repeat Step 1
  3:  Work out your USP (unique, original, fresh, different, useful, but not a gimmick)
  4:  Generate great content
  5:  Repeat Step 4
  6:  Focus on substance over style
  7: Tell people about it

Seems to me this applies to a lot of things. Running an internet forum, perhaps ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 27th January 2015, 11:59 am

Chilli-head wrote:
His thrust seems to be injecting a sense of adventure into life, not by going on far flung explorations, but by discovering more nearby adventure....

Oh I like this! Have you noticed the prevailing trend for 'bucket lists'? There always seems to be the implication that unless you freefall from a hot air balloon over the Andes, you're not living life to the full. They seem to completely ignore the intense pleasure and joy that can be found in your own backyard, and in looking at things with new eyes.

I would be muchly interested to read that book CH.

I mentioned a while back a novel by John Hart called The Last Child. I have now read his three other titles, and while I was about it, discovered John Grisham who writes 'legal thrillers'. Just finished his very first novel 'A Time To Kill' which was made into a film apparently. Anyway, the book was absolutely brilliant.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th January 2015, 7:40 pm

freebird wrote:
Oh I like this! Have you noticed the prevailing trend for 'bucket lists'? There always seems to be the implication that unless you freefall from a hot air balloon over the Andes, you're not living life to the full. They seem to completely ignore the intense pleasure and joy that can be found in your own backyard, and in looking at things with new eyes.

I read a thoughtful article somewhere which was also talking about the push to visit '50 cities before you die' etc - the author said that his parents had lived in the same rural location in the States all this life, and had travelled little, but they knew almost every leaf and stone in that valley. The writer talked about the value of knowing a location as well as that, in contrast with the mad dash to visit 'the world' and tick all the boxes.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th January 2015, 11:57 am

I probably wouldn't need to go far from home for my bucket list - I would like to see hares boxing and red squirrels on our own land.  I crossed 2 off a couple of years ago when we had a very brief trip to Scotland to scatter FIL's ashes & saw an Osprey fishing (actually, it was Lady 'the' osprey) and salmon leaping up a waterfall.

FB - I read The Last Child on your recommendation but haven't read anything else by that author.  We are also big readers of John Grisham especially Mr P.  One of his I particularly liked was The Painted House, the only one I have read that is not based round a legal theme.  If you like a bit of a page turner you could try Lynwood Barclay (I've read Trust Your Eyes and A Tap On The Window)

I do despair of ever finding really memorable books - I tend to default to Steinbeck but then find I can't read anything else for several weeks after
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th January 2015, 12:34 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
FB - I read The Last Child on your recommendation but haven't read anything else by that author.  
I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, Ploshkin. I've read 7 or 8 of Grisham's books now. One thing I really like about them is they are completely unpredictable. And thanks for the author recommendation - I'll look out for his books on my next visit to the library.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 28th January 2015, 5:57 pm

I liked The Painted House and to my surprise, find i like John Grisham's legal books too and have read a few.

Not come across John Hart.

Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th January 2015, 7:19 pm

Funny you said 'to my surprise' JG. I hadn't ever thought they would be something I would like, either.

I think my copy of The Last Child is destined to travel. If you would like to read it and can't get hold of it easily, I could put my copy in the post to you.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th January 2015, 9:32 pm

Hmmm, I'll have to try John Grisham on all those recommendations!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th July 2015, 9:28 pm

Has anybody else come across The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and it is quite simply a joy. It's on loan from the library, but I can see me buying my own copy as I will want to read it again.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th July 2015, 10:51 pm

It sounds very intriguing!! Can you tell us a bit more about it?

I'm nearing the end of 'The Girl on the Train', loaned to me by an English teacher from school. It's an interesting read, but I must confess that I don't actually like any of the characters (but I still want to find out what happens!). People say that you either love it or hate it, but I think I'm somewhere in the middle...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th July 2015, 8:37 am

The book takes the form of correspondence. Set in 1946 the main correspondent is a woman writer, already successful (ish) but at a loss to know what to write next. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from a man in Guernsey who now owns a book that once belonged to her. He writes because he wants to be put in touch with a London bookseller, as there are no books of the sort in Guernsey.

And so begins a correspondence with him, and then with others who belong to the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, under which guise we (and she) learns of the impact of the German occupation of Guernsey in WWII.

I finished reading it last night. Had intended to read a couple of chapters in bed before sleep, but a bombshell dropped. NOOOO! I cried, and did literally cry. No chance of sleep after that, so went in the spare room so as not to disturb the man and finished reading it. It's funny and sad and joyous and quirky and I love it.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th July 2015, 8:13 pm

Sounds great - thanks for recommending it
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 30th July 2015, 8:19 pm

I like the sound of that too, Freebird.
Am having a re-read of some Jane Austen at the mo. And a watch of JA as I ordered a couple of DVDs.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th June 2017, 5:26 pm

freebird wrote:Has anybody else come across The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and it is quite simply a joy. It's on loan from the library, but I can see me buying my own copy as I will want to read it again.

I recently had to steward at an art exhibition, but had taken nothing to alleviate the boredom. Luckily there was a 2nd hand book shop close by, so I went in to choose something. Came away with To Serve Them All My Days by RF Delderfield (now finished and enjoyed) and...... The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! Just £1 each. Reading it all over again with as much joy and sorrow as first time around. Soooo pleased to have my own copy.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

Result!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8