A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Guest 22nd March 2010, 8:08 pm

I'm woodworking tomorrow... making a top bar beehive What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by polgara 24th March 2010, 5:56 pm

Planted
a raspberry bush in a pot!
Sowed, radish, spring onions, landcress & salad leaves.

Some broads beans coming up in the bog roll inners
Peas planted in October full of flower, new lot begining to come through
Dwarf beans begining to come through.
Put overwintering garlic & carrots out into the garden.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th March 2010, 7:09 pm

Nought! It grew without me today...very very mild here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th March 2010, 7:16 pm

Same here, was too busy doing lesson observation and getting paid work sorted out to do much...watered some seedlings, tended to hens...picked some daffs...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 25th March 2010, 11:34 am

Cleaned some pots.
Planted more salad leaves & radishes
Planted some nastursions & other odd flowers
Planted some beetroot.
Sqashed or drowned a lot of curly things.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th March 2010, 8:03 pm

In the school garden. planted Potato council offer spuds in bags, planted lots of seeds in pots, ( with children)

In mine own, nowt...as it has poured with rain all afternoon...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hairyloon 25th March 2010, 9:19 pm

Made a rake out of the rake head I found while digging my shed, and a stick of privet from the hedge (see, it does have a use!).
Had a bonfire and did some bicycle mining.
Hairyloon
Hairyloon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 27th March 2010, 5:51 pm

Transplanted some brassicas (dont know which, one of the bad habits I have got into is not labeling my plantlings very well Embarassed )

Transplanted some broad beans.

Had an idea to cut out some circles of polythene, drill some holes in the tops of the car tyre spud towers & fix them on with some old tent spikes that I had, & watched them get misty, so that idea worked :cheers:

Added some more compost to what will be the runner bean patch on the raised bed...

All whilst listening to the "Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo" which I picked up for £1.99 the other day so all in all a well chilled afternoon... What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Smiley-gen165

Just what the therapist ordered... What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Happy_050Facebook Login
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno 27th March 2010, 6:32 pm

Well, I have had an absolutely lovely day today. I got two barrowfuls of brambles from the side of the house, two more from the other side of the driveway, and then dug the first couple of feet of bank over and ripped all the nettles and bramble roots out and planted it up with some scented-leaf Geranium I found growing happily on the stream bank (where I had chucked some rots last year when having a big clear out.) Then when I went to get muck heap to tuck them into, I found a sprouted rose root (a white briar rose I think, which I dug out last year) and some pink something or other superbus, which have also gone in (to hide the dodgy bits in the wall t'other side).
Aberlemno

http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th March 2010, 6:51 pm

That sounds really beautiful Aber. I have just discovered that my chickens have decimated a length of flower border - I was expecting the Pulmonaria to come up, and have found lots of scratched-up dead bits. Ho hum - this will mean a trip to the plant man in the market next Saturday! Rolling Eyes
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th March 2010, 7:37 pm

You can come and raid my beds if you like...I have lots of stuff...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th March 2010, 10:32 pm

Thank you! I'm going to use it as an opportunity to start again, and will clear the devastated bits, enrich the soil, and have a bit of a think.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 31st March 2010, 8:30 pm

Once the horizontal rain stopped I managed to finish preparing the beds for the salad crops and the area of the large bed that is to take the summer brassicas that are waiting to go in.

As the sun set I felt very pleased with myself. The beds we made 4 years ago are now really sweet and the sand beds have responded very well to the large compost layers applied each year. What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Icon_biggrin What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Icon_bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4th April 2010, 7:18 pm

Managed to plant out some salad bowl that were seeded in Feb. Despite the wind the ground it quite warm. I'll have another feel tomorrow. The sand beds are probably up to seeding temp as the weeds are starting to germinate. fleurs Need to start hoeing!

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 8th April 2010, 5:54 pm

Have spent most of the day in the garden. Planted a lot of seeds in paper pots (still no bog rolls) Repotted broad beans, and not before time. The outside ones already have flower buds.

Cleaned up a lots of cat poo, a major problem. Planted carrot seeds in one of my nice new wooden planters & OH has prepared a couple more planters for me.

Managed to turn the compost in the bin over a bit, with very limited space it can be difficult. But I try & do a bit each time.

grow
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Rosie 8th April 2010, 7:52 pm

I did LOADS of digging today - I suspect I may be suffering tomorrow Laughing
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

http://www.eco-gites.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th April 2010, 8:03 pm

I decided to get rid of a bit of sedge, which has gone mad around our pond with all the rain over the last three years. I learnt a lot about how sedge grows and spreads - it's not going to be a quick task! Will have a second go tomorrow, making sure the chickens are penned up, as they were no help at all...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th April 2010, 9:18 pm

Yesterday have planted out all the broad bean plants, early carrots seeds, shallots, barrowed a load of compost to finish of the last 2 x 3 m raised bed, and got it ready to plant the next lot of second earlies , tomorrow. Have also covered the carrot/shallot bed with a home made fleece cloche ( to keep off carrot fly and bloody hens...)

also covered all broad beans with cloche tunnels ( to keep off the bloody hens....)

Have also potted on yet more tomato plants, put them in the cloche inside the PT and also planted yet more assorted seeds ( to replace some which grew but got massacred by hens....).
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12th April 2010, 9:13 pm

Have seed various salad seeds and early carrots. I seeded some different salad to try them out. I seeded in stations so that I can just have 6 plants of each by the end of the thinning process. These palnts will be used for leaf picking....if all goes well!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 12th April 2010, 9:51 pm

Checking in -- not going to do day by day reporting.

This year the snow "went out" fairly early so the first tray of salad plants has been set out in its "raised bed" (several large window boxes being used that way). The tray of onion family sitting outside waiting till big enough to transplant and having prepared where we want them to go.

Started trays of peppers, next run of salad plants, broccoli and cauliflower, tomato and timatillo and cucumber and small seeded melon. Dug out the last from the raised parsnip/carrot bed and have that ready to plant. Planted peas.

And dig, dig, dig other areas. Our grandson was out this last weekend so that helped a lot. Young people have more energy for this than us oldsters. Work on (flower) garden areas too. That's where all the ground nuts came from.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th April 2010, 11:12 pm

Have finished planting early spuds, moved around more compost, planted out all the rest of the parsnips in tubes, planted out more shallots and early carrots.

Now digging over veg plot so I can get more parsnips, carrots in also preparing onion bed and early maincrop spud bed for next few days.

Am feeling very tired.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th April 2010, 11:44 pm

My potatoes are going mad, have filled up 2 pots to the brim, one of which is a dustbin, so should have quite a few nice potatoes.
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th April 2010, 11:47 pm

Sounds really good Pol

And it sounds like we are all growing really well....!

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 6 Icon_biggrin
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th April 2010, 5:17 pm

Had to water all the pots today as the wind has really dried them out, but all is still looking good
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno 14th April 2010, 7:56 am

I have been working on my flower borders mainly this past week, as with putting the house on the market they have to look in Top Form. More weeding/digging in the intake area in the paddock, herb bed, raspberries etc. It's coming together.

Yesterday I potted on various rare-colour Aquilegias I grew from seed last year after visiting a Nursery on the Gower. Then I sowed 15 trays of home-saved runner bean seeds, some for me and some to sell. I started off trays of Hollyhocks, Giant Stocks, perennial Yellow Scabious, Double Blue Cornflowers; Pot Marigolds; Statice; Cecily mix Phlox; Black Cherry Tomatoes and Flat Beans. Today I hope to get my peas in and some salad greens sown.
Aberlemno

http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 14th April 2010, 6:00 pm

Have planted swede, turnip & onioy. They had started sprouting & with the weather forcast sounding not too good thought I had better plant them.

Sun out now grrrrrrr
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next