A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 40 Hca_button

What have you done in the garden today?

+37
Boobiejmama
warlock1
Justicar
flute
freebird
Phil D
queen of string
NaturallySimple
Kristy lee
GB
Ginny
BertieFox
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Lottie
budburst12
Snoopka
danksshady
boobiejuicemama
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Aberlemno
Nick B
Adrian
Hairyloon
Mike
MrsC
Chilli-head
Green Rosie
gunners71uk
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Penny
Akuma
Tryinghard
Compostwoman
41 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Dandelion 2nd February 2015, 4:48 pm

Haha - let's hope the seed doesn't produce prematurely aged broccoli!! Not a pleasant thought...

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the garden today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What have you done in the garden today?

Post by Chilli-head 5th February 2015, 11:34 am

Chilli-head wrote: I turned on the electric propagator to warm up ready, and put some of the elderly brassica seeds from the seed swap in there on a bit of damp kitchen towel as a germination test.  

The Red Cabbage Kalibos, sow by 2011, are about 50% chitted so far. Good enough to use - I can sow them a pinch to each module and thin to the best seedling.

No signs of life from purple broccoli (2005) or pak choi (2012) as yet.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th February 2015, 4:43 pm

Interesting - keep us posted on that CH if you've got time.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th February 2015, 4:31 pm

Probably about 90% of the red cabbage now have chitted. The odd one of the pak choi too.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th February 2015, 8:59 pm

Hooray, I finally got my new rhubarb crown in. It's been sitting in a bucket in the shed for a fortnight.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th February 2015, 8:08 pm

All I've done today in the garden is to walk quickly through it shivering!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th February 2015, 8:36 pm

I didn't even make it out into the garden.   But I did spend some time rummaging through my seed collection.  Each year the same dilemma;  which chillies to grow this year.   I always want to grow lots, but know that I don't have space ! So settled on:

Ecuadorian devil's breath  What have you done in the garden today? - Page 40 2922771392
Ohnivec
Anaheim
Mulato
Ancho
Bolivian rainbow
Pasilla
Early Jalapeno

The jalapenos and pasillas will be for smoking.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 8th February 2015, 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th February 2015, 10:04 pm

Which do you expect to be the hottest out of that collection - is it the first by any chance???
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th February 2015, 10:37 am

The jalapenos and pasillas will be for smoking.
You do mean smoking as in ending up with smoked chillies don't you & not putting in a pipe or roll ups?

We're still frozen solid here, minus 5 this morning, so nothing doing in the garden but the snowdrops are looking great (from the window).
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th February 2015, 12:18 pm

I meant the former, like so.  The thought of putting chillies in a roll up is frightening - the chocking fumes when toasting dried chillies for cooking is bad enough !

The Ecuadorian Devils breath is a capsicum chinense  type, which are always hot, but is a mild one by that standard.   Pepperchronicles on YouTube tastes them raw and gives his comments here.  It's a fun channel to watch,  you can tell by his reaction what is really hot.  His reaction to Chocolate Bhut Jolokia looks like it is a struggle even for him. I have grown the very similar Chocolate Dorset Naga, and would not be brave enough to taste a whole one raw ...

I really liked the sound of the peach pepper jam. Chinense chillies have a lovely fruity flavour which would work really well. I liked his equipment list beginning with safety glasses and rubber gloves Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th February 2015, 8:18 am

Chilli-head wrote:
Chilli-head wrote: I turned on the electric propagator to warm up ready, and put some of the elderly brassica seeds from the seed swap in there on a bit of damp kitchen towel as a germination test.  

The Red Cabbage Kalibos, sow by 2011, are about 50% chitted so far. Good enough to use - I can sow them a pinch to each module and thin to the best seedling.
Just to finish the story - after 7 days the sow by 2012 red cabbage and pak choi both gave a good emergence, but the 2005 broccoli just went mouldy.

So although stretching the dates quite a bit past both the packet recommendation and the viability charts I posted earlier, there definitely are limits !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 10th February 2015, 2:10 pm

sowing some more sweet peas perfume delight and galaxy the most underated flower lovely perfume/scent if you get the right variety Smile
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by gunners71uk 22nd February 2015, 8:47 am

well we sowed more chilis,broad beans in pots ,lots of muck spreading up allotment katie weeded the two rows of spring cabbage and flattened mole hills we helped to put a shed up with an allotment neighbour and loads of other stuff over the last couple of weeks too much to mention what about you ?
gunners71uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd February 2015, 7:48 pm

Hi Gunners. If it seems a bit quiet here, it's because I'm trying out a new monthly thread for gardening here. The idea is that it might be easier to refer back to as a monthly record, a bit like a garden diary sort of thing.

I've planted a few more raspberries by moving some of the canes that came up where they weren't supposed to be, planted out some of my strawberry runners, and took some blackcurrant cuttings. Anxiously waiting for chillies to emerge in the greenhouse.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40