A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Two minute beach clean
by FloBear 15th December 2017, 10:10 am

» Irish Wheaten Bread
by Ploshkin 13th December 2017, 1:42 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 11th December 2017, 5:31 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 6:23 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 9th December 2017, 1:52 pm

» Best before ...
by FloBear 8th December 2017, 2:28 pm

» Armchair gardening in December
by freebird 4th December 2017, 11:11 pm

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Ploshkin 3rd December 2017, 3:46 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is dreamcb77

Our users have posted a total of 44945 messages in 2335 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Stir Up Sunday...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Stir Up Sunday...

Post by Sparhawk on 19th November 2010, 10:08 pm

Last edited by sparhawk on 19th November 2010, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Better linky...)

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
                 The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
    leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

default Re: Stir Up Sunday...

Post by Sparhawk on 19th November 2010, 11:49 pm

I know Christmas pudding recipes may have been handed down through the generations within families...
Are you willing to share yours to allow time to go & sort the ingredients before next Sunday...

chef2

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."

leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 20th November 2010, 8:48 am

Is it not tomorrow rather than next weekend?

Although IMO a pudding really needs to be started about September to mature properly especially if you are feeding it.
I don't know that I use a recipe really, mainly do it by eye: mixed fruit and peel, apples, almonds, caster sugar, breadcrumbs, suet, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cloves, rum, Guinness and brandy. The key thing is hanging them in muslin to dry and feeding them more alcohol once a week - hence my feeling that S-U Sunday is a little uncomfortably close to Christmas.

Oh and also make twice as much as you need at least. A Christmas pudding is for the whole year, not just Christmas.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 20th November 2010, 9:21 am

I thought it was tomorrow as well. Will be off to get stuff for pud and cake today. Haven't made a Christmas pud before, only cakes, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 20th November 2010, 10:12 am

http://www.heartfood.co.uk/stir-up-sunday/

Ah well, I stand neglected, the information I got was from the above site... Rolling Eyes

Who'd have thought you can't believe everything you read on the internet... Shocked

Mind you on further reading they are pedaling the "Traditional Recipe" from that cook that should remain nameless from Norwich... Evil or Very Mad

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20th November 2010, 11:11 am

Over the years I've settled on Mrs Beaton’s Recipe

Christmas Pudding (Rich)
½ lb suet (I use ¼ lb butter)
2oz flour
½ lb raisins
½ lb mixed peel
½ grated nutmeg
½ oz mixed spice
½ oz ground cinnamon
1 gill milk (I use apple juice) 1gill = ¼ pint
1 wineglassful rum or brandy
½ lb breadcrumbs
½ lb sultanas
¼ lb currants
1 lemon
2 oz desiccated coconut or shredded almonds (not tried the former)
4 eggs
pinch of salt

Wash and chop anything that needs it. Add all dry ingredients and mix together. Add milk (if used) and beaten eggs and mix in. Add rum/brandy and juice (if used) and lemon juice. Mix for several minutes until everything is very well mixed.

Put in to greased bowl or a floured pudding cloth. (I cover the pudding in the bowl with a layer of grease proof paper and then two layers tied over the top of the bowl. The bowl has to have a rim to do this. The string that ties on the paper then goes over the top to make a handle)

Boil for 4 hours or steam for 5 hours

(I then remove the top papers and replace with fresh)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 20th November 2010, 12:00 pm

This is sad. I am seriously thinking of creating an Excel spreadsheet so I know how much of each fruit I need for all my puds, cakes and mincemeat. I have a scrappy bit of paper I did a few years ago, which was very useful. Now I make 2 different cakes!

I can recoommend Nigel Slater's Christmas pud.. I'll be making mine next weekend now as I'm poorly today.
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th November 2010, 12:44 pm

I think it might be this weekend - I do know that it's the last Sunday before Advent but I'm a little vague about when that might be. (Not a good Anglican) (Not a bad one either) (OK, not really one at all...)
One of the set prayers for that service in the Anglican church says
'Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded.'
So it's got stirring and fruit!!

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th November 2010, 12:45 pm

My recipe has grated carrot in

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 20th November 2010, 6:04 pm

Well having got the dates wrong Rolling Eyes I went to an old recipe book also got out Pols old faithful, (unfortunately Lady S & the Hawkletts aren't particularly fond of that one) & started inventing...

I have now invented my very own Christmas pud recipe, we went out & got the ingredients that we didn't have this afternoon, when we returned I thought I would get a head start for tomorrow & mix all the fruits & dried bits together.
The recipe I used for the quantities states very clearly makes 2 large puddings... Very Happy

So I doubled... Cool

After filling one large mixing bowl chef2 & still had a fair bit to go in,

so I carefully split the mixture into 2 large mixing bowls... Rolling Eyes chef2 chef2

I then added some more in equal measures to each...

When all of the dry & fruit was in, there was absolutely no room whatsoever in either of the 2 very large mixing bowls to put any liquid in & safely stir... oops

I have now had to get a very large plastic storage box & empty the mixture in... bigthink

Tomorrow add the liquid, stir & put in pudding basins to start cooking... :bigclap:

I dread to think how long they will take to cook, even in the pressure cooker, but I think I will have a few more than the 4, I intended to create... Rolling Eyes

I will reduce the quantities before I post the recipe ready for next year... Wink

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 20th November 2010, 6:52 pm

Sounds like it will make almost enough. Be sure to upwardly adjust, accordingly.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 20th November 2010, 7:10 pm

Advent Sunday (1st sun of advent) is the 28 th Nov, so tomorrow is Stir-up Sunday.

Which I forgot about until after I had come home from shopping in Hereford which included a trip to Sainbugs and various other dried fruity ness emporia...

Blast.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 21st November 2010, 12:33 am

Sorry, I did try to give a weeks notice... :pout:

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 21st November 2010, 9:40 am

Awwww it's OK, Spar
snot your fault your info was up the spout.

I've got the unusual task of actually having to buy some eggs today for my cake!!! Shocked
I haven't needed to buy eggs for almost 5 years! But with the horrible weather, short days and the demise of 2 chooks recently, egg production has been nil for over a week
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 21st November 2010, 9:50 am

we are getting one or maybe two eggs on a good day, none on a bad. From 46 hens. Grrr.
Going to adjust that net week when we will be getting about the same number of eggs from about a dozen hens, and lots of chicken casseroles.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 21st November 2010, 1:06 pm

My feathery ladies have recovered from the fright of the Hunt, etc now and I seem to be getting a fair few, still.

Was the nasty cockerel nice eating, Billy?

Spar, not your fault, I should have remembered, but I was a tad stressed yesterday and forgot all about the dried fruit etc. Oh well, cake etc can be made tomorrow....

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 21st November 2010, 1:12 pm

sparhawk wrote:http://www.heartfood.co.uk/stir-up-sunday/

Ah well, I stand neglected, the information I got was from the above site... Rolling Eyes

Who'd have thought you can't believe everything you read on the internet... Shocked

Mind you on further reading they are pedaling the "Traditional Recipe" from that cook that should remain nameless from Norwich... Evil or Very Mad

I left a comment to tell them they were wrong.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st November 2010, 6:03 pm

Sparhawk.... back to the puddings thread
As Bob Flowerdew says there is always the right time to do something and usually it was last week...

The recipe in the Good House Keeping book is the same problem with being crazily large quantitiy. You could use your excess mix to make a Christmas Cake as they are a very similar fruit mix - usually.

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 22nd November 2010, 8:16 am

OK, Pudding is made and in its bowl wrapped in foil. Will it be ok stored in a tin up in the loft for now - I'm running out of storage space in the kitchen
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 22nd November 2010, 10:03 am

AngelinaJellyBeana wrote:OK, Pudding is made and in its bowl wrapped in foil. Will it be ok stored in a tin up in the loft for now - I'm running out of storage space in the kitchen

lol!

Thanks for the cake idea Zoe, MIL makes a cake for us each year so I dont want to be stepping on her toes...

After the pressure cooker was working from about 2pm until 11pm last night the pudding stork brought us triplets weighing:

1lb 14oz
2lb
&
2lb 5oz

The poor thing is already working this morning & there are probably 3 or 4 more to do...

chef2

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 22nd November 2010, 11:01 am

Are you having individual puddings for each diner, Spar?

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 22nd November 2010, 1:48 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Are you having individual puddings for each diner, Spar?

:bigclap:

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 on 22nd November 2010, 4:24 pm

I still get gorgeous pud made by my mum, so have luxury of being able to concentrate on making an accompaniment instead - home made icecream. Yum yum yum!

My favourite recipe is eggnog icecream - soooooo good! Perfect for christmas - has nutmeg, brandy and rum in it and the online recipe I use makes a wonderfully soft icecream:

http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_recipe_egg_nog.htm

I don't have an icecream maker, so just stir it every hour until it's frozen. I make it at around lunchtime on a day when I'll be at home for the rest of the day and just keep setting the cooker timer to go off after an hour to remind me to stir. It's really important to keep doing this otherwise you get whopping great ice crystals in your icecream instead of a lovely creamy smooth texture.

Top tip with making home-made icecream is to add alcohol and/or extra egg yolks. Both these things freeze badly, so make for a softer, easier to serve up icecream. When I'm making vanilla icecream (or if I were making some other flavour where I don't really want it to taste alcoholic) I just add a little vodka as this doesn't taste of anything in the finished icecream.
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 23rd November 2010, 12:22 am

After a marathon 8 hours of labouring today the pressure cooker & pudding stork have made their final deliveries, it turned out to be sextuplets:

The weights of the final three:

1lb 11
1lb 8
& the runt of the litter 1lb 6

& I have to report all are healthy, pressure cooker is a bit tired & looking forward to letting off steam... Very Happy

Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 23rd November 2010, 12:25 am

Winces

Have a cigar, Spar

And a brandy. Or several!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content