A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Mmmm, Marmalade... Hca_button

Mmmm, Marmalade...

5 posters

Go down

Mmmm, Marmalade... Empty Mmmm, Marmalade...

Post by Sparhawk 12th January 2011, 9:44 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/222663/How-Britons-have-lost-the-taste-for-marmalade

I wonder how The Grocer Magazine gathered its data, from sales perhaps, I read somwhere last year that home marmalade & jam making is really making a comeback... chef2
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Mmmm, Marmalade... Empty Re: Mmmm, Marmalade...

Post by Dandelion 12th January 2011, 9:49 pm

Trade magazine The Grocer said: “Paddington and Pooh will be scratching their heads over it but people seem to have fallen out of love with marmalade and honey.”

I'm not sure I'd want to eat toast and marmalade which had bear dandruff on it.....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th January 2011, 10:21 pm

I am cutting out refined sugar products and carbs for 2 weeks, to try to identify and eliminate some potential problems...( and yes, lose some weight in the process and give my liver a rest!)

And the thing I miss the most?

is my home made chutney and Compostman's home made jam and his homemade wholemeal bread.

Not alcohol, not spuds, not crisps , not home made cake ( the fruit cake which was ready to cut yesterday did look very tempting..but I resisted! ) not anything else...

just home made jam and chutney.

Sigh
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 12th January 2011, 11:05 pm

This may help CW...

The SuperJam Cookbook by Fraser Doherty

The Blurb says:

"They're 'super' because they're made with 'superfruits', such as cranberries and blueberries, and fruit juice rather than sugar meaning they're healthier than your average pot of jam. Fraser's cookbook is a juicy celebration of all things jammy. As well as being packed full of recipes for jams, marmalades, chutneys and jellies, the book offers more unusual ideas for spreads, such as Banana and Rum Curd, Dulce de Leche and Chilli Jam. And if for any reason you do have any leftover pots of preserves, it also contains over 25 ideas for how to turn your creations into irresistible puddings, from Bakewell Tart and Orange and Passion Fruit Trifle to Banoffee Cupcakes and Strawberry and White Chocolate Mousse. Exquisitely designed and lavishly photographed, "The SuperJam Cookbook" will be a lovely gift or simply the perfect way to indulge your love of one of life's greatest comfort foods."

Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 12th January 2011, 11:30 pm

I heard someone talking about this on R4 this morning and they reckoned that the reason sales were down was because everyone hates the taste of shop bought stuff and are making their own instead!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 13th January 2011, 1:22 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jan/12/marmalade

Marmalade's appeal must endure

Sales of marmalade are reported to be falling. Let's hope it's because we're all making our own

* Felicity Cloake
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 12 January 2011 15.00 GMT
* Article history

Toast with orange marmalade Toast with orange marmalade. Photograph: Getty Images

The bitter news of declining marmalade sales is enough to put any right-thinking Brit right off their breakfast. For centuries our national taste for this pithy spread has set us apart as a people – not for us the sweet charms of fruity French conserves, or fatty American peanut butter. Instead, we graduate proudly from Marmite to marmalade – anything else, with the possible exception of the vicar's wife's strawberry jam on high days and holidays, would be positively unpatriotic. After all, breakfast is as much a test of character as it is a meal – and Britain's growing taste for sugary chocolate spread, as reported by the Grocer magazine, is nothing if not a damning indictment of our declining moral fibre.

Chocolate is just so … obvious. It takes time to develop a taste for marmalade – that wonderfully bittersweet flavour and the chewy chunks of peel shouldn't just be wolfed down. They deserve to be savoured, and every marmalade offers a fresh opportunity; digging into a jar with a hastily scribbled label picked up at a school fete or given by a friend is a rare delight. Will it be treacly or tangy? Yielding and soft or stiffer than a retired colonel's upper lip? Is the zest tender, or crunchy and crystallised? Marmalade isn't like other spreads. It has character. We need to save it.

Marmalade fuelled the breakfast tables of the British empire – the high sugar content meant it survived the journey from Dundee to Darjeeling with characteristic stoicism – and left its sticky legacy in many former colonies, remaining popular in Australia and New Zealand in particular. Scott took some Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford Marmalade to the Antarctic (which I hope provided at least one small moment of cheer on that ill-fated endeavour), Sir Edmund Hillary carried a jar with him on his Everest expedition, and James Bond's breakfast of choice is a boiled egg – followed by wholemeal toast, Jersey butter, and more Cooper's. Even the Queen is partial to a spoonful or two of Frank's finest.

Oxford and Dundee don't share much, but they are both marmalade cities – although, since it was taken over by Premier Foods, Frank Cooper's is now made elsewhere. North of the border, they sincerely believe they invented marmalade – but, just as with porridge, and haggis, and even whisky, the Scots were simply canny enough to recognise a good business opportunity when they saw one. In fact, marmalada, a stiff quince cheese we'd now stick on the cheeseboard, was first imported from Portugal in the 15th century, to be used, according to the Oxford Companion to Food, as medicine or fancy sweetmeat. At some point in the next two centuries, somebody (possibly a Scot) had the bright idea of adding some more water to give the marmalade a spreadable consistency, but as late as 1861 Mrs Beeton was explaining marmalades to her readers as "those confitures which are composed of the firmer fruits, as pineapples, or the rinds of oranges".

Although lime, ginger and even (horror of horrors) chocolate have infiltrated the canon, marmalade just isn't quite proper unless it contains Seville oranges, which give the spread its distinctive bitter flavour and aromatic chips of peel. The bulk of the Spanish crop is now exported to these shores to meet its destiny on a piece of toast – or in Nigel Slater's bread and butter pudding, Gordon Ramsay's ice cream, or Marcus Wareing's jaffa cakes. In fact, our passion for marmalade knows no bounds. Well, until recently, anyway.

Of course, not all marmalades are born equal. Purists are horrified at the rising popularity of sweeter, more jelly-like preserves at the expense of the kind of dark, chunky Oxford marmalades which can really put hairs on your chest. Some of these upstarts, they complain bitterly (often in the form of strongly-worded letters to the Daily Telegraph) don't even contain peel. Having been weaned on the stuff, I retain a secret soft spot for Golden Shred, but with the proud preserve under threat us marmalade-lovers should stick together.

As Michael Bond, the brains behind Paddington Bear, pointed out on the Today programme this morning, the duffel-coated Peruvian will be 53 this year, and doesn't look a day older than in 1958 – a miracle he owes, his creator claims, entirely to his taste for marmalade sandwiches. I'd like to think that, instead of indicating a cooling of our passion for the stuff, declining sales actually show that the British population has finally worked out that homemade marmalade just tastes better. I should know - I'm surrounded by jars of the stuff having tested several recipes for next week's 'How to ... " Seville oranges are in season now. You know what to do.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 13th January 2011, 3:41 pm

It is so British! So sadly Saville oranges don't make it to France so we have to find other ways to make the marmalade, lemon, lime, mixed fruit with gratefruit and sweet orange....
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down