A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month. Hca_button

Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month.

+2
Compostwoman
Jaded Green
6 posters

Go down

Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month. Empty Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month.

Post by Jaded Green 10th February 2011, 4:23 pm

I always wonder about this instruction on food you buy from the supermarket.

My freezer says I can keep things for up to a year, depending on what it is.

So my question is... the freezer says I can keep fish for 2 - 6 mths. I have some salmon fillets that I froze at the end of August. I bought them on an M&S "buy 3 for £10" offer and meant to eat them a lot sooner. Am I foolish in planning to cook them for tonight's supper?

I always worry I'm going to poison the family when I cook....

Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month. Empty Re: Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month.

Post by Compostwoman 10th February 2011, 4:53 pm

It is not even the end of Feb, yet! ( 6 month limit...)

I would have no qualms about eating them.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month. Empty Re: Freeze on day of purchase, use within one month.

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 10th February 2011, 5:28 pm

No, frozen is frozen. It will not go off once frozen. The flavour may fade over time though and most of those freezer guides are based on that.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 10th February 2011, 5:40 pm

Both sides advertise their CYA numbers. Freezer manufacturers wish to impress you with their impressive ability to preserve, so they advertise the best case scenario. Food producers (marketers) wish to impress consumers with the best possible outcome/impression of thier product, so, seeing as there are so many variable with storage, i.e. freezer temp set point, how often opened, quality of door seals, etc., they advertise a number that will provide the worst case scenario and still result in an acceptable product. As with a lot of things, once you can control and understand the variables for your particular process, you can determine the appropriate time frame based on the reccomenadion ranges and info available. Maybe this sounds kind of obvious, but as a sometimes analyst, that's how I tend to look at things.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 10th February 2011, 5:50 pm

mr_sfstk8d wrote:but as a sometimes analyst,

what a great job title. I'm a Sometimes Analyst. Less demanding role than an Always Analyst I imagine.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th February 2011, 6:14 pm

There was some information on the Love Food Hate Waste website last year about how long you could freeze food for. I've just looked and it's all changed, so I can't quote it, but basically it said that food will be OK if frozen for longer than the recommended time - it won't be harmful, but the texture or taste may have altered a little.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 10th February 2011, 6:15 pm

actually, when I'm wearing the analyst hat, those are the least strenous parts of my job, lol
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th February 2011, 6:16 pm

And in deed it is ok to re freeze some foods after thawing....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 10th February 2011, 6:48 pm

Thanks all. I've just opened the packet - it looks absolutely fine and doesn't smell so I'll be cooking it shortly.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th February 2011, 7:03 pm

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 10th February 2011, 8:13 pm

That's a really useful site CW. Thank you

Need to go through my freezer, sort it out and start again. There are a few unlabeled things in there and some cooked chicken that looks nasty. But I'm looking forward to a turkey sandwich for packed lunch next week - we froze some of the Christmas turkey and I am hoping I will finally remember to get it out!

Salmon was very nice. As so often, I slightly overcooked it, but it tasted lovely. I grilled it, which I'd not done before, I've oven baked or fried it before. Frying is out 'cos we're on a low fat diet.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th February 2011, 8:18 pm

Glad you found it helpful JG.

I make "freezer" soup...a bit like using up left over veg etc from the 'fridge, but from the freezer, instead....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 10th February 2011, 9:18 pm

Know what you mean CW. When I was a kid, we'd take any leftover veg from supper and throw them into a bin of other items in the freezer into ever growing layers of frozen goodness. When it got full, we'd defrost the batch and make vegetable soup! Can't hardly do that anymore with four kids in our house, there's hardly anything ever left, lol!
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th February 2011, 9:28 pm

We had bubble and squeak tonight made from cabbage and potato I've been freezing when it gets left over. It's a good uncomplicated tea (and now there's a bit of room in the freezer!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becci 10th February 2011, 9:56 pm

My MIL make freezer pizza. She saves all the sliced meats that are about to go off, leftover roasts etc. Then when she has enough, defrosts, chops up. Adds some onion and other flavouring and cheese all in a bowl. Then spreads whatever she's using for a pizza base with some sauce, tops witht the mix and bakes. I did it myself onec, was rather nice. And much easier mixing everything in a bowl
Becci
Becci

http://limetreecreations.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th February 2011, 10:26 pm

Here

is another really good advice site.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down