A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Chook names? Hca_button

Chook names?

+7
Nick B
Leanne
MrsNesbitt
AngelinaJellyBeana
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Compostwoman
Akuma
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chook names? Empty Chook names?

Post by Akuma 24th November 2009, 7:47 pm

For those of you who keep chooks for eggs...have you given the girls names, if so....what are their names?

Odd question I know but DS is planning ahead for the arrival of some chooks here (eventually!) He know's he would really like some ex batts (All his idea cos he wants them to have a nice life - bless him!) So far we've come up with Ruby, Poppy and Scarlet cos apparently (according to DS) chickens are a red colour so their names should be too!! Very Happy I guess we just need some chooks now huh?! Rolling Eyes

A x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Chook names? Empty Re: Chook names?

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 8:11 pm

Embarassed yes..I do name them...and yes I do still kill them if needed...

The Ginger ones ( ISA browns) are the Spice girls, Ginger, Nutmeg and Cinnamon

The Black Rocks are called Treacle, Cocoa, and the matriarch of the flock is Henny Penny
The Rhode rocks are Babs, Goldie, Bunty.
The Marans or Marans X are Sweetie, Attilla, Lavender
The Light Sussex is called Mac, the White Leghorn is called Pearl and Broody Ruby is the Silver Dorking. Her 3 Cream Legbar chicks as yet have no names....( Well the little cockerel is called Spot...)

A bit of a foodies and a "Chicken Run" theme going on.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 24th November 2009, 8:19 pm

compostwoman wrote:Embarassed yes..I do name them...and yes I do still kill them if needed...

I am intrigued by what happens if 'not needed'... do they just decapitate themselves?

Ours used to have names with the first batch or two. They were called Roast, Nuggets, Fricassee, Pie, Sate, Casserole, Madras... and so on. But it got too difficult remembering which was which. Now they are all called 'Idiot bird' which avoids a lot of confusion. Occasionally they get additional names like 'The Bossy one', 'The New one', 'Deathwish' etc.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 24th November 2009, 8:21 pm

I'm lovin' the 'Spice girls'!! Did you name them all or is that CG's job?

DS will no doubt be in charge of naming and so far I'm pleased - it could have been anything related to Lego or Starwars so I consider myself lucky so far Laughing But no doubt he'll change his mind tomorrow and probably not be interested by the time the birds actually arrive!!

Great names though and thanks for sharing Smile

A x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 24th November 2009, 8:24 pm

Billy, DH wants to call them anything food related too. Kiev and Korma were his offering. I did explain carefully they'll be eggy hens and NOT for eating!

We're only getting 2 or 3 so I'd probably notice if they disappear!
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 24th November 2009, 8:45 pm

My first 2 were Gertrude and Mabel, don't ask why, just liked those names. Then I got Daisy - she was already called that as I got her from someone who needed to re-home her.
My first 2 ex-batts were Ziggy & Stardust
Next 3 ex-batts were Lady, Queenie and Mavis
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 24th November 2009, 9:20 pm

Jelly, Are you chook free now? Gertrude and Mabel are real chickeny names Laughing

A x
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 24th November 2009, 9:31 pm

Akuma wrote:Billy, DH wants to call them anything food related too. Kiev and Korma were his offering. I did explain carefully they'll be eggy hens and NOT for eating!

All hens are for eating sooner or later unless the fox or the lurg gets 'em, Akuma.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 24th November 2009, 9:59 pm

Are eggy hens worth eating? I mean especially ex batts - is there much meat on them?
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 24th November 2009, 10:39 pm

Well they aren't going to provide a hearty Sunday roast, certainly, but they make great soup. In fact I would argue that an older bird makes a better soup than a roasting chook. Just as mutton make a better stew than lamb.
A hen that has ceased laying definitely goes in the pot. 'twould be a terrible waste otherwise.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 10:49 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
compostwoman wrote:Embarassed yes..I do name them...and yes I do still kill them if needed...

I am intrigued by what happens if 'not needed'... do they just decapitate themselves?

No Rolling Eyes I was just refering to the idea often promolgated that if you name them, its harder to kill them if required to.... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by compostwoman on 24th November 2009, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 10:51 pm

Akuma wrote:I'm lovin' the 'Spice girls'!! Did you name them all or is that CG's job?

DS will no doubt be in charge of naming and so far I'm pleased - it could have been anything related to Lego or Starwars so I consider myself lucky so far Laughing But no doubt he'll change his mind tomorrow and probably not be interested by the time the birds actually arrive!!

A x

CG named the Spice girls...she though it was funny and as they were all ginger hens it seemed a good theme! I named the first one Ginger, in honour of Ginger my first ( with Henny) hen of keeping them here....she died but her memory and spirit lives on in the new Ginger...and CG picked the names for the other two!

*I* named all the others...they are my hens and I am actually quite possessive about naming them Embarassed ..I listen to ideas from CM and CG but *I* have the final say...

Last edited by compostwoman on 24th November 2009, 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 10:57 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:
Akuma wrote:Billy, DH wants to call them anything food related too. Kiev and Korma were his offering. I did explain carefully they'll be eggy hens and NOT for eating!

All hens are for eating sooner or later unless the fox or the lurg gets 'em, Akuma.

Yep...even I, with my fondness for all things hennish....would probably kill a hen who had NO use at all after she stopped laying...so far the only one who has stopped has uses as a matriarch and as a really good fox alarm to the others...but if she stops doing that she is soup...

As are cockerels who try to kill me...Capt Flint made very good soup plus meat in a risotto....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 11:09 pm

But..think of it this way...if you DON'T kill hens who have stopped laying...they could live 5 or more years longer...so what do you do? Do you keep the original 3 as pets, feeding them but not getting eggs? IF you get some more egg layers...you than have 6 hens, butin another few years THEY stop laying so you might now have 6 non laying old hens..

Its a tricky ethical question..I have space to keep pensioner hens but a lot of people do not..so I consider a few terrific years as an egg layer with me is a top notch life for a hen..so a quick death at the end and being used in a lovely soup is actually a pretty good life, and death, for a hen...

Especially when you consider "Freedom Food" egg layers are killed off at 12-14 months old, at about the time of their first moult, and sent to ( typically) make chicken paste or even cat food...!

I know..there are 3000 of them quite close by to us.......
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th November 2009, 11:42 pm

Akuma wrote:I'm lovin' the 'Spice girls'!! Did you name them all or is that CG's job?

A x

Well YODA or Obi or Ewok are ok names for hens.... Razz

I seriously thought about calling my evil hen "Darth"...but ended up with "Attilla the Hen..."
:biglaugh:
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 25th November 2009, 7:50 am

Akuma wrote:Jelly, Are you chook free now? Gertrude and Mabel are real chickeny names Laughing

A x

No, happily not chook free
I still have Gertrude, Daisy, Ziggy, Lady, Queenie & Mavis

I love them to bits.
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuma 25th November 2009, 7:57 am

How do you cope with so many eggs? I thought 2 chooks would be enough for us and there's 3 of us! What do you do with your surplus or do you just eat an awful lot of eggs?!

Glad your not chook free Jelly! Just the way your post read, it seemed written in the past tense!

CW, I actually quite like those Starwars names Laughing

A X
Akuma
Akuma

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsNesbitt 25th November 2009, 9:25 am

We have 6 hens, named as follows....
2 large brown ones are Mabel and Olwyn. We both had an auntie Mabel & Olwyn seemed to be of the same time frame.
2 beige ones are Eva and May. Eva is always there first, darting to the front. Little Eva is her Sunday name.
1 Black one is Bev. My ex-pupil who helped build the hut has a mum called Bev, with black hair!
1 fluffy white one is Margie, named after a neighbour who kindly gave us a water feeder for them.

cook Time to check for today's eggs!
MrsNesbitt
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

http://www.denisebydesigns.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th November 2009, 9:28 am

Got 12 eggs yesterday...from 14 laying hens......:cheers:

If you have a surplus, you make lots of cake, quiche etc and you sell or barter the eggs as well.......... Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 25th November 2009, 9:39 am

Akuma wrote:How do you cope with so many eggs? I thought 2 chooks would be enough for us and there's 3 of us! What do you do with your surplus or do you just eat an awful lot of eggs?!

Akuma you don't necessarily get 1 egg per hen per day. We have 5 chooks at the moment and get 3 eggs a day if we're lucky. We have had times when we had an egg a day from each but not for a while now. I suspect it is time to weed out the non-performers and replace them. If we have boiled or scrambled eggs for breakfast that's 8 eggs gone. We bake cakes and biscuits at least a couple of times a week because we don't buy shop ones. I use a few more in cooking and if you add the odd lemon meringue pie into the mix then that's an easy couple of dozen eggs a week.
That said I totted up CW's flock last night and am a bit baffled as to what she is doing with a dozen or so eggs a day
Shocked

I don't see any tricky ethical or moral question with killing and eating the non-performers. They are not pets, they are working animals. In terms of feed cost, use of space etc there is no room for passengers. Every non-laying hen you have is doubling the cost in all terms to you of each egg you get. If you have limited space this is even more crucial.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsNesbitt 25th November 2009, 9:42 am

From 6 hens we get 3 - 4 eggs a day!

Am hungry now...off for a poached egg on toast!
MrsNesbitt
MrsNesbitt
Homemade Moderator

http://www.denisebydesigns.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 25th November 2009, 10:21 am

Akuma, at the moment I'm getting between 1 and 3 eggs a day but, in the summer I can easily have 5 or 6 a day.
One of the girls at work has half a dozen every week so that's easily done. When I have loads I let the girls at work know and sell them, my mum also has 4 a week and I make cakes when I've got lots.
On Friday I used 6 to make my tortilla and then on Saturday another 3 for bread & butter pudding.
Scrambled or poached eggs for weekend brekkie uses 2 (or 3 if I'm feeling greedy)
Eggs in home made lemon curd, custard, quiche etc
Oh and bribery for the neighbours
:suspect:

it really is quite easy to use them up

Very Happy
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 25th November 2009, 10:38 am

If anything the problem is getting used to having a ready supply of plenty of lovely free-range eggs then, if there is a break in supply (hens moulting/expiring etc) having to buy them at the shop and being a.) horrified at the price and b.) dismayed by the watery anaemic-looking contents of even the top-flight Organic shop eggs and corresponding lack of flavour.

Getting used to homegrown anything be it eggs, strawbs or bacon spoils shop-bought for ever.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 25th November 2009, 5:13 pm

Try totting the flock up again Billy Very Happy

I have a hen looking after 3 chicks, so she does not lay at the moment but will normally lay an egg a day for 6 days then have a day off......but I didn't count her

I also have 14 hens, 1 of whom lays irregularly and maybe 3 a week? if we are lucky (Attilla) but she has other uses...as a warner of danger

Henny and Sweetie have just (yesterday) come out of their moult and laid an egg each...Babs and Goldie came out of their moult a couple of days ago..so will each lay 5 or 6 eggs a week now..and laid an egg each yesterday as well....

all the other 9 girls are this years hatching and were PoL in August/Sept, so they lay probably 12 or 13 eggs each in 2 weeks....and yesterday I got 8 eggs from the 9 younger hens

That tots up to 12 eggs yesterday... Very Happy

Today so far I have got 8 eggs, one of which was laid by Attilla....

The norm is more usually 9 or 10 a day, as a few of the older hens (Henny, Sweetie) are now getting on for 3 years old....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 25th November 2009, 5:21 pm

compostwoman wrote:Try totting the flock up again Billy Very Happy

That tots up to 12 eggs yesterday... Very Happy

ah, I see now my estimate of a dozen or so was wildly... um... spot on?

I would probably be pushed to use 12 eggs a day, everyday, I confess.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next