A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 Hca_button

What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

+8
Sparhawk
AngelinaJellyBeana
freebird
Dandelion
Chilli-head
Jaded Green
polgara
Adrian
12 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by freebird 11th May 2019, 2:04 pm

Lovely job Dandelion. Maybe little pieces of leftover fabric could be made into articles that could be sold - by a charity shop, school fair or some other fund-raising activity.

freebird

Back to top Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by FloBear 12th May 2019, 8:22 pm

That's a delightful little dress, Dandelion, and a wonderful bit of 're-purposing'.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th May 2019, 9:21 pm

freebird wrote:Lovely job Dandelion. Maybe little pieces of leftover fabric could be made into articles that could be sold - by a charity shop, school fair or some other fund-raising activity.

Good point. We used to make hair 'scrunchies' from leftover fabric when my girls were at school - I wonder what the current craze is?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th November 2019, 10:02 am

My first proper 'make' since we moved here.

We can use our concessionary bus passes on the Heart of Wales line from October to March, meaning free train travel for 6 months. There is a great fabric/craft/wool shop in Shrewsbury, and I bought several patterns and pieces of fabric on my last trip. Thought I might need some indoor winter projects in this rainy part of the country!

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 20191110
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th November 2019, 6:48 pm

Looks a nicely made job, and I like the colours - reminds me of a plasma ball ! Is it for general, or dancing related use ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 16th November 2019, 7:22 pm

Nice bit of pattern matching there Freebird. I like the colours.
Shrewsbury's a bit of a trek for me on the train but doable and its a lovely journey. We're exactly half way along the line so it's the same time to Swansea.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th November 2019, 10:12 pm

I love it!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 17th November 2019, 8:46 am

Thank you all. It's just for general wear. I love check shirts, but usually end up buying from charity shops, slightly the wrong colour or slightly the wrong fit. So nice to have something that fits and in my favourite colours.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 19th November 2019, 5:55 pm

Beautiful shirt, freebird. Just my style and colours too! I know what you mean about ending up with not quite what you want.

Did I detect perfectly matched pockets Laughing
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th June 2020, 2:46 pm

A few years ago I decided to take up crochet again, but had forgotten how to do it. The first thing I made while relearning was a pan holder. I'd bought a single ball of a chunky cotton yarn, and the pan holder used over half although there was still a good bit left. Never known what to do with the rest.

Fast forward to last night, having just dug my crochet stuff out the loft. The cotton yarn still in my bag, so thought maybe I could make a pot stand for the kitchen table (save any more burn marks ....). Found a circular pattern, so I could stop when the yarn was running out. So here it is - took about an hour to make. I followed the pattern right up to the penultimate row, then just made something up for the final outer circle that would get me right round before the yarn ran out. There was about 2 feet left at the end. It's about 7.5" diameter.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 20200610
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th June 2020, 6:31 pm

Nice, and useful too ! You seem to have refreshed your memory quite quickly ...

My Mum used to enjoy crochet. She was a very accomplished knitter, but preferred crochet - I think in part because it was easier to avoid sewn seams, which was the stage of knitted garments she least likes. She once won first prize in our village show with a crochet matching skirt and top.

I didn't inherit her skill. I knitted half the back of a jumper once, then she had to finish it for me.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 14th June 2020, 8:29 am

Sounds like any jumpers I have knitted CH. Hate knitting - think mainly I dislike the feel of all the stitches on the needle under my fingers. Seems a strange thing to dislike about it.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 15th June 2020, 8:22 am

Handy little thing freebird. I'm all for saving surfaces from burn marks. I'm a knitter though can do a bit of basic crochet if I count carefully. With CH's Mum in disliking the sewing up of knitting - I favour knitting in the round wherever possible.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 15th June 2020, 10:20 pm

I've come to crochet quite late - I could never get the hang of it when I was younger, but in the last couple of years I've crocheted two blankets. Knitting tends ot make me tense - I tighten the muscles in my neck when I'm doing it (don't ask me why...) and end up with a headache. But I'm more relaxed when I crochet.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th June 2020, 10:39 pm

I don't crochet - I can do basic stitches. It makes my hand and wrist hurt. I do a lot of knitting but also dislike sewing up so I have become a big fan of seamless knitting. I knitted something seamless back in the winter. If I remember in the morning I'll dig out a picture.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th June 2020, 5:29 pm

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 Croche10
I think I said before that my grandmother was amazing at crochet. This is a blouse I found when I cleared my mother's house, crocheted by my grandmother in the 1940s using fine cotton
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th June 2020, 5:30 pm

I clicked on 'thumbnail' rather than 'image' when I put the picture in the post, but if you click on the photo you can get a larger image!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 16th June 2020, 6:25 pm

That is some amazing crochet Dandelion. It must have taken endless patience.
This is the last seamless thing I knitted. It's all in one piece with no sewing up at all. Just a few ends to weave in.
[img]What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 6 P1020811[/img]
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th June 2020, 8:16 pm

Wow, Dandelion, that is absolutely stunning.

Nice cardigan Ploshkin. If no seams, how do the sleeves attach to the body - it is done by picking up stitches or something? Don't get too technical because I don't knit.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 16th June 2020, 8:35 pm

Things like that are knitted from the top down so you start with a yolk.(or is it yoke?). You then separate off a number of stitches on each side that will become the sleeves (store them on pieces of yarn) and carry on knitting the rest of the stitches to become the body (in this case flat knitting or in the round if it's a sweater). You then go back to the stored stitches, put them back on the needles and knit the sleeves in the round (one at a time of course).
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th June 2020, 10:02 pm

Wow. That makes my head hurt thinking how to do that, excellent.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th June 2020, 11:38 am

I love it Ploshkin. I know this sounds like a silly question, but does it get very heavy to work with after you've done the main body and are starting on the sleeves?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th June 2020, 2:31 pm

Dandelion, because I use a long cable with interchangeable needle ends the weight sits in my lap. I use interchangeable needles for all my knitting now because I get too much pain in my hands and wrists to knit for long with the weight on the needles.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 17th June 2020, 9:35 pm

I'm surprised, Ploshkin, that you find crochet uncomfortable. With only a single stitch on the hook at any time, there is never really any weight to speak of.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th June 2020, 10:18 pm

I can't keep up the wrist action for long Freebird. It would take me forever to make something.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 17th June 2020, 11:01 pm

Love the Dandelion grandmother crochet - what delicate work!
And Ploshkin's cardi is fab. I use interchangeable needles on a long cable too. Trouble is, I get little use out of lovely woolly pullies with the mild winters we get here!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next