A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Hca_button

What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

+8
Sparhawk
AngelinaJellyBeana
freebird
Dandelion
Chilli-head
Jaded Green
polgara
Adrian
12 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by Dandelion 5th April 2013, 2:45 pm

It made me chuckle when I read it Pol!!

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by freebird 21st May 2013, 11:13 am

I've just finished this using more of the yarn that I rescued from imminent landfill. I had set the yarn aside to take to the charity shop, but following on from making the net bag (see a few posts ago), thought I might be able to do something with some shiny pink yarn.

Another free internet pattern, that I adapted to a smaller size, and lo, another very different bag - a gift for my adopted niece. The fabric used for the lining was a remnant from a curtain fabric shop (just £2); the zip I had to buy new. It was a good opportunity to use my new sewing machine too, to assemble the lining, though I hand stitched both the zip into the bag, and the lining to the zip, as I didn't want the stitching to show on the outside.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Jasmin10
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Jasmin11
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 21st May 2013, 4:05 pm

Really pretty FB, I like that. a+
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 15th June 2013, 6:03 pm

Managed to make a few cards today.  Really had to as I had a special one to make for a wedding.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 15th June 2013, 7:01 pm

FB that is lovely and I still cannot believe anyone would send that to landfill. What a waste.

Glad you managed to make some cards Pol.

I've almost finished the 2nd sock of a pair I'm making for a friend in the USA.

Then I must get on with my nephew's gloves. i know he doesn't need them now, but he is in Afghanistan and I want to make them while he is there.
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 18th June 2013, 9:46 pm

Started another pair of socks and have done quite a bit today.

If I'm feeling better tomorrow I really will get on with the gloves. Should be seeing my nephew tomorrow as he is home on leave briefly
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th July 2013, 5:02 pm

Had a quick 'make' this afternoon, with my charity shop booty (see Charity Shop Bargains thread). A big cushion cover to go on a small chaise - the chaise looks a bit doll's house, being very small to fit in an awkward space. So I thought I would add a big cushion to bulk it up a bit, visually.
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Cushio10

Also finally taken a pic of a pair of slippers I crocheted for myself, with some of the wool that nearly went to landfill. I finished them about 3 months ago and have been wearing them in the cooler weather - they are rather covered in dog hair now. I sewed some soft leather on the soles, just to make them a bit more hard wearing.
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Slippe10
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th July 2013, 11:12 pm

The slippers look like they will be great in winter, especially when the dog is hogging the stove ! I bet they last longer than any you can buy.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 18th April 2014, 10:32 pm

Today I've started on a shirt for the man. We chose fabric and a pattern yesterday, but having got the pattern home, have found it is vast. He's a big lad, but it would look like a tent on him. Spent a good bit of time taking it in and redrawing the pattern. Fabric's in the wash overnight, to make sure it is fully shrunk. Looking forward to making a start. I'll post a pic once it's done.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th April 2014, 11:06 pm

looking forward to seeing it FB - how long do you think it'll take?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 21st April 2014, 5:29 pm

Finished it this morning. Wonderfully garish - it's deliberately 'loud' to wear to some of the dances we go to.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Shirt10

While I was in sewing mode, I made a new cover and padding for my sleeve board (a mini ironing board for pressing long narrow things like sleeves). My first mil bought it for me about 35 years ago, and the cover was in holes and revolting.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 21st April 2014, 5:47 pm

That is brilliant FB
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st April 2014, 6:16 pm

Jaded Green wrote:That is brilliant FB
Brilliant is definitely the word. I have never been much good at sewing - a shirt is well beyond me. Good job FB !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 21st April 2014, 7:53 pm

Wow, I love the fabric. Grand job FB.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st April 2014, 9:01 pm

Stunning - well done!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 24th April 2014, 6:53 pm

Today i have restarted on a quilt that had been left in a corner since 2005.

First step, rethinking the whole project!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th April 2014, 6:58 pm

We would love to see some pictures of your work, Tamara.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th April 2014, 7:40 pm

What sort of quilting do you do Tamara?
I really like quilting but don't have the need for loads of quilts so don't do a lot.
I've done quite a bit of log cabin. I currently have an unfinished sampler quilt that is basted but has been put away for about 2 years. I must get it out & finish it (winter job I think). I didn't really know how to quilt it, I think it will have to be hand quilted.
I also have some Manx quilting on the go. I posted a picture of some bits a short while ago. It will probably come up if you put Manx quilting in the search.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 25th April 2014, 9:04 am

Wow that Manx looks beautiful, not too complicated?

My granma used to make quilts for us but has now stopped due tu her arthritis. I am now making a few for me & my family. Traditionnal would be what i do.
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th May 2014, 1:10 pm

It's been pouring with rain today, so no gardening and a chance to finish something I started last month.

My man and I dance - jive actually - and it can get pretty hot at some venues, so most women carry a fan. I have five, in different colours, to match different outfits. I'm always worried they'll get damaged at the bottom of my bag, so thought I would make them each their own padded carry bag.

Here is the first one off the production table.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Fan_ba10

The outer fabric was an 80p remnant and should be enough to make all five bags. Not enough for the lining though, so I've found some old lining material that was cut out of a skirt I shortened. I did buy a metre of wadding for £4.85, but that will do all 5 bags, and did my sleeve board, and plenty left for other things.

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Fan_ba11

It's the first time I've attempted any sort of quilting, and I'm not too displeased with my first go. I've kept it very simple, with the coloured stitching and pull cord to reflect the colour of the fan (saves looking in all the bags for the one I want!). Despite being such a simple item, it has thrown up some interesting design problems though.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th May 2014, 2:45 pm

That looks good. Machine quilting isn't easy (as I've found out) with a domestic machine. Do you have a 'walking foot' or a dual feed on your machine that feeds top & bottom layers equally?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th May 2014, 4:03 pm

Ploshkin wrote:That looks good.  Machine quilting isn't easy (as I've found out) with a domestic machine.  Do you have a 'walking foot' or a dual feed on your machine that feeds top & bottom layers equally?

Yes I do - it's quite a new machine (I think I've had it about a year); the Pfaff Passport 2.0 I tried out some ideas on some old cotton sheeting, but found it extremely difficult to pass the fabric through by hand. It seemed to require an enormous amount of 'pull' without the feed dog doing any work. So I adapted the design to something simple with straight lines, so that I could keep the feed dog raised and it would do the job of feeding the fabric.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th May 2014, 5:24 pm

Pretty! Where do you buy the fans from? I have a colleague at school who routinely carries a fan to help with hot flushes - I think it's stylish answer to a problem!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 8th May 2014, 6:35 pm

Wow, Nice Job freebird! It's beautiful!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th May 2014, 6:57 pm

Dandelion wrote:Where do you buy the fans from?
Some of the regular dances we attend also have stalls, so that's where I tend to buy from. I think these fans are quite widely available though as I've often seen other people with them. They're just cheap and cheerful.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd May 2014, 4:06 pm

Following on from the loud and garish shirt I made for the man last month: there looked to be just enough fabric left to make something else as I'm quite good at cutting economically.

I decided to make a matching top for myself. I had to make my own pattern, as the pieces of fabric were on the skimpy side, to say the least. In fact when I came to try the pattern on the fabric pieces, I found they didn't fit all together. I could have the back and one side of the front, or both sides of the front and nothing else. In the end, I cut the back in half, and just squeezed it out the fabric. Not enough for facings, and on the front, not enough for an overlap for buttons.

It's been a real test of ingenuity, but I'm quite pleased with the result, and has cost about £3.50 in 'bits' such as bias binding etc. Pics will happen below - keep waiting......

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Shirt110

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 2 Shirt210

freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next