A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» The September garden
by Ploshkin 18th September 2017, 3:03 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 4:21 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44702 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Stop Thief !!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Stop Thief !!!

Post by Sparhawk on 24th October 2011, 3:56 pm

I transplanted a small apple tree from next doors garden last year as a cordon in ours & I'm happy to say it took very well, lots of blossom at blossoming time, which changed into some nice fruits at fruiting time which I thinned down to probably 20 odd on there as I didn't want to over bear it in the first year...

This weekend I was going to make an apple & raspberry crumble using fruit from the garden but low & behold when I went to get the apples, there they were GONE Shocked ...

Having sat back & pondered I cant think what would have had them, there is nothing left, no cores, nothing, I don't see how anyone would have/could have got in or why they would just have taken apples I can't see any animal droppings in the vicinity.

Has anybody any idea what, if any, wildlife could have done this. some of the apples were quite large? BIIK... bigthink

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Stop Thief !!!

Post by freebird on 24th October 2011, 6:15 pm

Our urban foxes love to collect apples - they arrange them in heaps along with stolen tennis balls, golf balls and whatever else they can lay their teeth on. It's a possibility that it could have been foxes.

I've caught squirrels with small apples in their mouths (but more usually my strawberries). And have the ring necked parakeets spread to IoW? Though they tend to bite holes in the fruit whilst still on the tree.

How disappointing - but if you do get to make some apple and raspberry crumble (albeit with bought apples now), try it with homemade almond ice cream. Mmmm mmmmmmm.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 24th October 2011, 6:19 pm

I suspect Polgara.

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 24th October 2011, 7:51 pm

freebird wrote:
How disappointing - but if you do get to make some apple and raspberry crumble (albeit with bought apples now), try it with homemade almond ice cream. Mmmm mmmmmmm.
Do you have a recipe?

Sorry about your apples Spar

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 24th October 2011, 8:29 pm

Almond ice cream - I just adapt the recipe I have for vanilla ice cream (egg custard base), by substituting 1tsp almond extract for the vanilla, and adding chopped slightly toasted almonds to the mix about half-way through.

If you would like the full recipe, which is for use with a basic ice cream maker, I will pm it to you.

If you like Bakewell tart (which I LUURVE), apple & raspberry crumble with almond ice cream is reminiscent of that, only better. It's my OTQ's favourite pud - OTQ? Other Three Quarters, cos he's a whole lot bigger than me.

Last edited by freebird on 24th October 2011, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 24th October 2011, 10:47 pm

Canidae like dogs and foxes will eat apples but they don't (can't) the tree for them. Pigs eat apples too, but likewise they have to wait for them to fall.

Here at our place a bear would be a possibility but I believe you folks exterminated the last of your bears several hundred years ago. Raccoons, but how many apples could even an entire family of racoons eat and you don't have raccoons.

Twenty apples gone from the tree? Almost certainly a human. This animal is unlikely to leave droppings in your garden. If it did you would know that taking the apples was malice instead of just desire for the apples.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 24th October 2011, 11:14 pm

I was inclined to think human too. But I wouldn't completely rule out four-legged. Foxes will pick soft fruit such as blackberries and raspberries direct from the canes (as does our dog). And Spar did say the apple was a young cordon, so not necessarily very tall, though he doesn't mention if it's an upright cordon, or grown at an angle.

Having said all that, I do recall reading some of Sparhawk's posts about his inconsiderate neighbour's boiler flue. I got the impression that neighbour and he don't get on ..... nuff said?

freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 25th October 2011, 2:01 am

Thanks for yoour replies folks, interesting reading...

(Need a deer stalker hat & a smoking curly pipe smiley...)

Willhelm: Laughing I think its not Pol, although a good suggestion...
1. She would know better...
2. She probably wouldn't be brave enough to encounter the garden in Sparhawk towers without a guide...
3 She is as puzzled as me...

Freebird:
1. Fox is a possibility, but unlikely, I would have thought it would have gone for the free range chooks next door first & I would have spotted some scat...
2. Parakeets I may have spotted when out & about, but would they have taken complete fruits?
3. Squirrels is a possibility, we have seen a red squirrel in the garden a few years ago...

Yes it is an upright corden about 6' tallish...

Mike:
1. Dogs, foxes, & pigs I would have thought I would have spotted entry/exits from the garden or scat to identify...
2. Bear, I agree it would have to be very old...
3. Racoons... I'm not ruling anything out, I'm purplexed...

Next door neighbour, hmm, possible but very doubtful, we do get on but leave each other to our own devices, I will get Flute to put a piccy on so that you can see a true piccy of how it is situated...

I am thinking of getting some apples from elsewhere & tieing them on & waiting to see what happens, I have a weeks leave next week...

Thanks for all your suggestions, I hope you don't think I have dismissed any without consideration, keep them coming I am totally purplexed...

Could hedgehog be a possibility? I don't know...

"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 25th October 2011, 8:52 am

Tree climbing hedgehog? hmmmm.

What about kids scrumping? That was a common cause of apple tree denuding when I was a lad. ahem.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 25th October 2011, 10:32 am

Oh my Billy, you enter Sparhawk mansions at your own peril believe me, & I do not do fruit as such.

I wondered if it could be a badger of the wild variety, the apples were not small ones & I think most wild animals & birds would be too small. Foxes are not obvious in the area, & as Spar said, no scat at all.

Like several of you I go for the human type of thief, but I am at a loss to know how they know what is in the garden & how they got in.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthG on 25th October 2011, 9:45 pm

Round here it's always the two legged varmints that get them. Then they use them as ammunition to pelt passing cars and our windows! Mad
RuthG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top