A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Daily or once a week? - Page 2 Hca_button

Daily or once a week?

+12
mark barker
flute
Dandelion
bronze
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Lottie
kramer
Compostwoman
MrsC
Mike
Adrian
Snoopka
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Daily or once a week? - Page 2 Empty Re: Daily or once a week?

Post by mark barker 16th December 2010, 10:52 pm

I'm a daily showerer, but I do spend most of my time riding, so I'm pretty sweaty by the end of the day. My skin is shot though, head, feet & hands always dry skin, the rest of me oily. Drives me mad!

mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by boobiejuicemama 21st January 2011, 2:50 pm

flute wrote:
Dandelion wrote:My hair has become much less dry and scratchy now that I only wash it twice or three times a week.

I only wash my hair two or three times a week (in summer) less if I can stay at home and no-one will see it Wink . But I still have problems with a dry/itchy scalp. I think it may now flair up with stress, but I used to have it a lot when I was younger. I use Simple products which have helped, but not much.

Other than smothering with oil (which I hate! Makes my head and hair feel horrid), or tar shampoos which make my hair VERY dry (so goodness knows what it does to my scalp), is there anything natural/cheap I could use to help?

Also, spose I should add, I always have my hair up otherwise easily gets greasy or is SUPER frizzy so cannot do much other with it anyway.

Flute I agree strongly with the suggestion to not use ANYTHING that has Sodium Laureath Sulphate in it. I have Psoriasis and SLS is the worst thing you can put on your scalp! Try using Akin (I am pretty sure you should have it over there) it is wonderful and smells good Smile Lush products have SLS and other chemicals in them (sorry Kramer, sad but true)

Myself I would happily only shower every few days if I didn't actually get "dirty" (gardening, scrubbing the floors etc) but the kids get bathed every day because they are grots!

Last edited by boobiejuicemama on 21st January 2011, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info :))
boobiejuicemama
boobiejuicemama

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy 21st January 2011, 7:50 pm

Hi Flute,
I couldn't figure out why my scalp was so itchy and sore and making me crazy. I switched shampoos, bought that Scalpicin, head and shoulders, etc, figuring I needed more help than regular shampoos could offer. BAD IDEA. Switching only aggravated the condition. I went to the doctor. I had eczema on my scalp, and he prescribed a topical steroid. It helped immediately. I switched one last time to a more natural shampoo. No problems since. Try avacado rather than oil for conditioning and relief. But most important, stop switching shampoo and if you can only wash 3 times a week, go buy lots of hats and live it up like Blossom did in the 90's.
Happy
Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristy lee 21st January 2011, 9:33 pm

well i shower every day and in summer my daughter spends about 1 1/2hrs in the bath in the afternoon just to play
I guess because it's hot and humid here. Winter isn't really that cold for us 15 degress is cold.

Hair washing

I use the same stuff i wash my body with to wash my hair with and i do it about twice a week.
I condition using 1 part vinegar to 6 parts water.

This clears up the dry scalp prob.
hair is shinier
for kids keeps those dreaded bugs out of their hair
you can wash it out if you want or you can just put it in yr hair anytime and leave it in.
it makes yr hair really easy to comb/brush

When yr hair is wet it smells like vinegar but when dry is really soft and lovely.

If you hv dark coloured hair use brown vinegar.
For blonde or light hair use white vinegar
Kristy lee
Kristy lee

Back to top Go down

Post by flute 21st January 2011, 11:07 pm

Thanks guys!

I haven't noticed that much of a problem recently, and still on Simple as I hadn't finished it yet. Mainly at the moment a couple of peeling patches on my hands. Will definitely remember the vinegar and avocado (was going to put avogadro, TOO MUCH TIME IN PHYSICS!!!) for when it flares up. I think it must be what you said Happy, and my scalp has now got used to Simple stuff.

Thankyou! loveshower
flute
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 21st January 2011, 11:48 pm

flute wrote:Thanks guys!

I haven't noticed that much of a problem recently, and still on Simple as I hadn't finished it yet. Mainly at the moment a couple of peeling patches on my hands. Will definitely remember the vinegar and avocado (was going to put avogadro, TOO MUCH TIME IN PHYSICS!!!) for when it flares up. I think it must be what you said Happy, and my scalp has now got used to Simple stuff.

Thankyou! Daily or once a week? - Page 2 850562

What is Avogadro's number, then? ( *I* know, but am asking you......)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by boobiejuicemama 22nd January 2011, 1:27 am

Kristy lee wrote:well i shower every day and in summer my daughter spends about 1 1/2hrs in the bath in the afternoon just to play
I guess because it's hot and humid here. Winter isn't really that cold for us 15 degress is cold.

Hair washing

I use the same stuff i wash my body with to wash my hair with and i do it about twice a week.
I condition using 1 part vinegar to 6 parts water.

This clears up the dry scalp prob.
hair is shinier
for kids keeps those dreaded bugs out of their hair
you can wash it out if you want or you can just put it in yr hair anytime and leave it in.
it makes yr hair really easy to comb/brush

When yr hair is wet it smells like vinegar but when dry is really soft and lovely.

If you hv dark coloured hair use brown vinegar.
For blonde or light hair use white vinegar

Oh and Bi-Carb is a great softener too, as I discovered when I had dreads (they nearly all fell out my hair was so soft!) but not mixed with vinegar (obviously THIS is a bad idea haha, can anyone say volcano head!)
boobiejuicemama
boobiejuicemama

Back to top Go down

Post by Becci 22nd January 2011, 2:48 am

i'm a daily showerer too, always at night. I can't stand the grimy feeling I have if I don't shower at night. I sleep better after a shower. I always used to wash my hair everyday. i had to hair was so greasy. But then I found out that the more I washed my hari the more I had too. Maybe it's the smae with showering too from what some of you have said? So now I try to only wash my hair every2-4 days. I wear my hair up 9/10 so a little bit of greasiness doens't matter too much.
Becci
Becci

http://limetreecreations.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by flute 22nd January 2011, 10:03 am

Same! My failsafe is a bun, hides as much as possible. Also good when hair fluffy after getting washed.

Avogadro's number, 6.02 x 10 (to the power of) 23. The number of units in a mole. We use it for electron calculations. Sorry Daily or once a week? - Page 2 Sign0006 Very Happy
flute
flute
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2