A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Seed swap success stories Hca_button

Seed swap success stories

4 posters

Go down

Seed swap success stories Empty Seed swap success stories

Post by Chilli-head 8th May 2012, 12:39 pm

Partly to cheer myself up after seeing the soggy and slug eaten remains of my allotment, and partly by way of a thank you to Dandelion for organising it, I thought we could start a thread on what people have done with their swapped seeds. Maybe some photos later ... but for now, I have a small row of spinach come through nicely despite the weather, and in the greenhouse I have a very vigorous looking courgette Tuscany to plant out when it is warmer, 4 tomato Garden Pearl destined for pots on the patio, a few Rudbeckia seedlings and some more Calendulas left over from last year's swap.

Thanks to whoever contributed all those Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Seed swap success stories Empty Re: Seed swap success stories

Post by freebird 8th May 2012, 1:01 pm

Ooh, what a good idea!

I'm hoping in a week's time I will be picking baby salad leaves from a 'Spicey mix' contributed to the swap. My leeks are coming on nicely (Mussleburgh), though still in the greenhouse. I had tried the Amsterdam Forcing carrots outside, under fleece, but have got fed up looking for them. This isn't unusual as I rarely have success germinating carrots outside - I think the slugs and snails get them before I ever see them. So a few days ago I planted some more in modules in the greenhouse, with the other half of the tray planted with my own seed of a different variety. At least I will know then if the seed was a problem.

I also have Fennel seed, but haven't planted it. With CH starting this thread, it has reminded me that I need to do that.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th May 2012, 9:22 pm

I have a flourishing pot of tiny Sweet William seedlings which I'm very pleased with - I would never have thought of buying them (although I love them, as a cut flower). I really like the 'serendipity' factor of the seed swap! Oh, and I still have some Golden Detroit beetroot from last year's swap which will be planted soon, and two trays of sunflowers for the special needs dept at school, also from last year's seeds.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th September 2012, 10:10 pm

Well, despite the "difficult year", my seed swap Rudbeckia are looking rather fine. And I have had a good, steady production from my courgette Tuscany - rather than the usual all or nothing. Sweet pepper California wonder have a good few fruits on them, although they have been slow to ripen.

I also have Calendula from a previous seed swap slowly spreading across the garden ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th September 2012, 10:44 pm

Well, my carrots never came to anything (but that was my fault, not a bad batch of seed), but so far my leeks are looking quite good. The spicy salad leaf mix has been tasty and unusual, but seems to run to seed very quickly.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st August 2013, 3:10 pm

I have at the moment a rather fatastic display of Rudbeckia in one of my flower borders, thank you to whoever put them in the seed swap. So many butterflies like that border this year too.

Another year, and I still have calendulas as volunteers from the seed swap two years ago. I was wondering the other day, how many years it would take for the legacy of stuff I have grown in my garden to fade away ? I have, each year, Italian meadow rocket (from the long defunct Future foods seed supplier), Dill I last sowed 3 years ago, Italian parsley, and volunteer tomatillos as well as the inevitable volunteer squash, tomato and chilli seedlings. Greek oregano comes up everywhere like a weed. And the Blue Peter freebie bee flower seeds come up every year.

All of this is a goods thing - especially the flowers which save a lot of seed sowing !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 21st August 2013, 5:04 pm

Could I interest you in some hawkbit seeds CH? Guaranteed to survive a nuclear explosion I reckon! They would add a bit of colour to your marestail display!! The plants which come up all over my garden tend to be perennials rather than annuals: I never seem to be short of are alchemilla mollis for example (I can't believe that I once actually bought some!!), but annuals don't seed themselves much in our cold clay soil. In fact I find it really hard to grow annuals at all, even deliberately - they have to be sown in modules then planted out in May or June.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th August 2014, 8:52 pm

I am really liking the long pointed red pepper Lipstick from the seed swap.   Used some on pizza tonight - nicely sweet. Saved some seed for next year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th August 2014, 7:50 am

I had round courgettes - Tondo de Piacenza (or something like that) that have done & are still doing extremely well. The Mr Fearn's purple podded climbing beans have also done well except that the beans are desperately slow to form but that is because the weather has gone cold, nothing to do with the plant. They're dastardly difficult to find amongst the foliage though - the pods are green, not purple.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 26th August 2014, 8:03 pm

I've had a good crop of the same beans Ploshkin - I have had little time to spend in the garden this summer, with my mother needing a lot of attention, but one thing I've appreciated is that when I guiltily realise that I haven't picked any beans for a week or so, although they're thick and long they are still very tender.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down