A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

To smoke a salmon Hca_button

To smoke a salmon

2 posters

Go down

To smoke a salmon Empty To smoke a salmon

Post by Chilli-head 17th January 2015, 10:48 pm

This originates from Alan Carrick Smith, Country Life, Feb 1966, abridged by me to save typing ! Note that I haven't tried this myself. I don't even like fish ... but I presume it will work for other things. A muntjac, perhaps ?  I think I can picture the arrangement of the trench/boards/box, but you may need to use your imagination to interpret the description..

Clean the fish, removing as much blood from the backbone as possible.  Make brine by putting one potato in enough tepid water to cover the fish (but don't put the fish in yet), then add salt (4-7 lb) until the potato floats. Immerse the fish for 15-20 hours.  Remove and wash with cold water.  With a pointed knife remove the tail and head, leaving the firm bone by the gills; then split
the fish, remove backbone, fins and any stray bones.

Smother the two sides in soft brown sugar (1-1.5 lb) and plenty of salt. If the fish is large, make nicks along the deep part of the back and push in a little more salt.  Leave on a platter or slab for 12-15 hours.

To smoke: make a trench 30cm x 30cm x 3m long, pointing in the line of the prevailing wind. Take a rectangular box, open on one long side, which will be  broad and long enough to hang the two sides of the salmon from two hooks which have been placed in the inside top. Bore a small hole in the top to aid the draught, or raise one of the boards with a chisel.  Place the box upright in the far end (downwind) of the trench with its open side facing up the trench.  Light a small fire with any wood at the near end of the trench. When this has died down to glowing embers, place a mall barrowload or sack of oak chips or hardwood sawdust along the trench so that the near end will catch from the fire and start to smoke.  Make sure the chips are smoldering really well then place corrugated iron or heat-proof boards over the trench, covering any gaps from which smoke can escape.  Then check that smoke is moving along the channel and up through the box.

Wash the fish, pass strong string through the sholder bones, and hang them in the box. Cover the front of the box with a sack, and check again that smoke is moving freely through the box. leave for 12-15 hours.  Watch the chips from time to time - it there is too much draught they will turn red and give too much smoke, in which case seal off the end of the trench for a time with
sacking or boards.  If the draught is too little, use a board or dig a small trench to convey air through the tunnel more quickly.  A steady gentle smoke is better than a hot cloud.  If the chips are still smoking after 12-15 hours, leave them to go out - this does no harm and will help the fish keep longer.

Hang the sides in a larder, don't refrigerate or freeze unless you absolutely have to.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

To smoke a salmon Empty Re: To smoke a salmon

Post by Ploshkin 18th January 2015, 12:25 pm

I don't know much about smoking but have always fancied giving it a go especially as I do my own bacon & ham. A dear, departed friend of mine made a very successful smoker from a filing cabinet but I presume that would be hot smoking as the fire was in the bottom drawer. Is this trench method cold smoking? I've seen a method where the fire is in a pit & a long length of flue liner takes the smoke to the box with the food in it so the smoke is cold by the time it reaches the food.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th January 2015, 9:16 pm

I guess the smoke would be fairly cool, especially if the woodchips are distributed mostly toward the end of the trench away from the box. And I guess that a filing cabinet might do as the "box".

Somehow the image of a filing cabinet with smoke billowing from every gap has more appeal than it should. Never much liked paperwork ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum