A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015 Hca_button

Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015

3 posters

Go down

Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015 Empty Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015

Post by FloBear 15th February 2015, 11:41 am

I received this info. through my Which subscrption and thought I'd share in case it is of any use. I know people have their tried and trusted and it's best to stick with what works but I had a bad experience with some really duff compost two years ago so any info is helpful, I find!
All my careful formatting in Word has disappeared - hope it's not too confusing!!

Best composts for raising young plants 2015
All of our Best Buy composts produced consistently good plants. This year we decided to separate the results for sowing seeds and raising young plants. We found two Best Buys that excelled in both tests, as well as two that are Best Buys for sowing seeds only, and four for raising seedlings and plug plants. See our compost results table for all the details.
Make sure the composts you buy are in the bags shown, or you could end up with last year’s stock, which may well have degraded in storage.
Best Buy composts for sowing seeds and raising young plants
Verve Multipurpose Peat-free Compost (12-litre bag)
Test score, sowing seeds: 70%
Test score, raising young plants: 88%
Peat content: 0%
Price per litre: 15p
This contains 80% composted bark, a peat alternative which seems to work well. In the sowing-seeds test, germination was high and the seedlings were strong and healthy.Make sure you buy the 12-litre bag, as the compost in the other bag sizes is a different formulation that we have not tested.
Where to buy: B&Q
Levington Original Multipurpose Compost
Test score, sowing seeds: 70%
Test score, raising young plants: 70%
Peat content: 80%
Price per litre: 14p
At 80% peat, this has one of the highest peat contents in our trial this year. Peat is controversial because of the damage that its extraction can do to important wildlife habitats.This compost produced consistently good young plants and had excellent germination rates in the seed-sowing test, producing seedlings that were strong and healthy.
Where to buy: garden centres
Best Buy composts for sowing seeds
Westland Jack’s Magic All Purpose Compost
Test score: 73%
Peat content: 95%
Price per litre: 12.5p
This has the highest peat content in this test and also contains sharp sand, a classic seed-sowing mix. Large numbers of both pansies and tomatoes germinated and grew well. It was almost a Best Buy in the raising young plants test, but the basil plants were good rather than outstanding.
Westland Multipurpose Compost with John Innes
Test score: 70%
Peat content: 73%
Price per litre: 20p
This is a peat-rich compost, with sharp sand and grit, but with some wood fibre, too, which can increase drainage. This compost had excellent results for the number of seeds to germinate and the seedlings were large.
In the raising young plants test, it produced plants that you would not be disappointed with.
Best Buy composts for raising young plants
Miracle-Gro All Purpose Enriched Compost
Test score: 95%
Peat content: 50%
Price per litre: 25p
This compost gave excellent results in the basil and pelargonium tests, achieving an almost perfect score. However, this compost did much less well in the sowing-seeds test, just a few marks above the Don’t Buy cut-off point, so we would not recommend that you use it as an ‘all purpose’ compost, despite the name.
Growise Multipurpose Compost
Test score: 75%
Peat content: not stated
Price per litre: 11p
This compost did particularly well in the pelargonium test. Almost every pot achieved excellent scores for colour, size and quality. The basil plants were mostly among the best in the trial, although they needed more water than those in other composts. Scores for seed sowing were respectable, but not outstanding.
Where to buy: widely available
Miracle-Gro Peat-free All Purpose Enriched Compost
Peat content: 0%
Price per litre: 12p
It’s heartening to see a peat-free product doing well. It produced large, high-quality basil and pelargonium plants.  This could not be replicated in the seed-sowing tests, however, with very disappointing overall results in the pansy test. Many of the tomato seedlings germinated, but did not thrive.
Verve Sowing and Cutting Compost (12-litre bag)
Peat content: 75%
Price per litre: 31p
A Best Buy for the third year running, this sowing and cuttings compost grew consistently good basil and pelargonium plants.  There are two sizes of bag: 12 litres, which we tested this year, and 50 litres, which we didn’t. The two bag sizes contain different compost formulations.
Where to buy: B&Q
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015 Empty Re: Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015

Post by Dandelion 15th February 2015, 1:37 pm

Thanks FloBear - very interesting reading. I'd like to try Verve peat-free from those results.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015 Empty Re: Trials on Seed and Cutting composts 2015

Post by Chilli-head 20th February 2015, 8:47 am

Surprising perhaps the extent to which peat still features.   I have used a John Innes blend seed compost which contains peat, with the justification that it is a tiny amount compared to the potting compost.  Can't say I liked it much, the loam content made it a bit heavy and airless I thought.

The Verve does look to be the best eco compromise ... but what about composts in big bags for growing on stuff in containers ? I need 200-300 litres per year !  I usually get New Horizons when I can get a multi-buy discount to supplement what I can make myself ... wonder if there is anything better yet ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th February 2015, 4:09 pm

I picked up a small bag of the Verve compost at B&Q to try out this morning - it was quite confusing as there is also Verve which has a high peat content, so you need to be on the look-out (and not dozy, like me...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 20th February 2015, 9:53 pm

Useful tip there, Dandelion. Shop when fully awake Wink
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down