A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Boiler scrappage scheme Hca_button

Boiler scrappage scheme

4 posters

Go down

Boiler scrappage scheme Empty Boiler scrappage scheme

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 9th January 2010, 8:10 am

I'm confused about this. Is it available to everyone and is it worth it?? The other schemes I've looked at are only for pensioners and people on benefits. I have googled but it's confusing me even more
I'm sure I should get a new boiler, the one I have is 22 years old but all seems to be working fine (I really should get it serviced though) The heating is fine but I'm sure the water doesn't get as hot as it used to
So my questions really are:
1) Do I really need to get a new boiler?
2) If so, who is best to go with or should I just go with expensive but reliable(?) British Gas?
3) Would I qualify for the scheme and is it worth it or are there better deals out there????

Any advice welcome
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Boiler scrappage scheme Empty Re: Boiler scrappage scheme

Post by MrsC 9th January 2010, 9:05 am

I've not seen the details of this (having bought a new one only a couple of weeks before the scheme was announced Evil or Very Mad ) but I think I read somewhere that it's only if your boiler has a very low energy rating (E or G maybe) that you qualify for it. I'll see if I can find the newspaper article that explained it. May have been the Telegraph or Times...

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 9th January 2010, 10:02 am

- The scheme only applies to G-rated boilers. If your boiler is 15-20 yrs old+ then it is very likely to be a G.
- If you have a G-rated boiler and replace it with an A-rated, you will be saving probably £100-150 a year, and a significant amount of carbon emissions. If it costs you £1000-£1500 to replace it then it will take you 10 years to recoup the outlay, and sceptics say that you may not be recouping the embodied energy in a new bolier in that time. The counter argument to which is that if you have an old G-rated boiler it is unlikely to last another 10 years anyway and will become less and less efficient during that time. You need to weigh this one up yourself.
- The govt scheme gives you £500 towards the replacement but you have to use a scheme approved fitter. A decent A-rated boiler costs about £900 give or take, plus the installation which is probably another £500-1000 depending on the work involved. So, assuming the approved installers aren't just whacking another £500 on top because they have a monopoly, it is indeed a good deal. If I can find the cash for the our bit (not looking likely at the mo) I shall definitely be availing myself of it.
- personally I do not like to mess around when it comes to gas plumbing - I would use either a reputable name like BG or someone who is personally recommended.
- Assuming your boiler is G-rated, you qualify. It is not means tested - it is the bad boilers they aree targetting, not the hosueholders.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 9th January 2010, 11:42 am

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad in the paper where BG were adding on their boiler scrappage scheme discount on top of the Govt one. (Although I though the Govt one was £400 not £500). In fact, article from the Telegraph here - this also mentions an NPower scrappage scheme too.

Hope this helps.

Mrs C

Last edited by MrsC on 9th January 2010, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo correction...)
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony. 10th January 2010, 8:59 am

depending on your circumstances you can apply for a new heating system.

my parents got free loft insulation last year, in their own home

i filled in a online web bsed energy audit on a government sponsored site, cant remember, got a reply back saying new boiler and external insualtion etc..

heating company was out on thursday to measure all the rooms, windows etc to do heat loss calculations.

find out in 2-3 weeks about the next process.- hopefully taking out a old potterton g rated boiler.

my parents dont need to pay for anything

so get checking

tony
tony.

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 10th January 2010, 9:27 am

Thanks folks

I will look in to it further. I've had leaflets from BG through the door yesterday so will peruse those. I have actually been thinking about it for a while but the announcement of this particular scheme has made me think a bit more seriously about it.

Sadly, Tony, I don't qualify for any of the other govt schemes for help with heating/insulation as I'm either not old enough, earn just a weeny bit too much (by a few pounds at the last calculation) so can't claim any working tax benefits and my babies are all growed up and gorn
Well done to your parents though for managing to get the free insulation :cheers:
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down