A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 4:21 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44707 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Tidying up in the October garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Tidying up in the October garden

Post by Chilli-head on 1st October 2016, 9:30 pm

I've not spent much time in the garden today, just popped out to collect some pizza toppings.  Picked a slightly overripe but really nice pepper Doce d'Espagna (seed bought on holiday in Portugal).  Also an Ohnivec chilli to hot mine up a bit.

I notice I now have a lot of chillies ripe, including some rather pretty Red Savina.  Looking forward to those  !

What have you got that's still going strong ?  Anything that did really well you'd like to recommend ?

Last edited by Chilli-head on 1st November 2016, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Tidying up in the October garden

Post by Dandelion on 1st October 2016, 10:35 pm

I've still got some mutant Brussel sprouts - huge great plants (on the seed pack it described them as 'medium'!) The sprouts are not yet big enough to pick, but having netted them against cabbage white, they have now succumbed to white fly (I think because the white fly are in a nice safe enviromesh shelter where nothing can get them.) I did think today about removing the netting, but since them have seen more butterflies.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 2nd October 2016, 8:08 pm

I think I'm going to end up sproutless again this year. The plants look healthy enough, though not very tall, but the sprouts are so far only about the size of peas - I'm sure they're usually a lot bigger than that by now.

My sweet peppers are still going strong and I'm really pleased with them as its my first ever peppers. The ones I've got are Kaibi from Real Seeds. They've got really thick flesh and a lovely flavour. I was going to keep some seed, though I've still got some in the packet, but am wondering if they will have cross pollinated with the chillies which were at the other end of the polytunnel.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd October 2016, 7:48 pm

That's how big the sprouts on my plants are too. Looks like they might end up in the chicken run if they don't get any bigger! Rolling Eyes

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 12th October 2016, 4:14 pm

The flower bit of my garden is so pretty at the moment - unusually for this time of year. Everything is pink and purple with yellow calendula dotted about. But, how do others keep tall stuff from flopping everywhere. I've got a lot of Michaelmas daisies because the bees love them but they are tall and leaning in every direction. I suppose I need to get something round them earlier on before they start to go.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 13th October 2016, 8:28 am

I use link stakes, Ploshkin. They are L shaped stakes that link together to make a support of variable diameter. Some I leave in place, such as the ones for my peony, so I know where it is when it disappears for the winter. But yes, you need to put them in early in the growing season.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 16th October 2016, 11:49 am

Do you have a particular place that's good value for link stakes, Freebird? I saw Monty Don making perennial-supporting stakes quite a while ago. I suppose I could get some suitable gauge wire and give it a go.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 16th October 2016, 4:26 pm

Not really FloBear - just got some from local garden centre with some vouchers I had.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 16th October 2016, 5:42 pm

OK, thanks for that FB
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 24th October 2016, 11:45 am

Down at the allotment I'm getting on quite well with the tidying up, so time to start thinking about next year's cropping.

The weekend before last I dug over the bed where the sweetcorn and pumpkins were, and built my hugel. On Saturday I dug out a compost heap to improve those areas; a layer on top of my Hugel mound into which I'm going to sow some Aquadulche Caludia overwintering broad beans. Where the squashes were four barrowloads of compost have gone on, and I've put my overwintering onions - Shakespere and Red Cross - in there.

Just a bit more weed control needed now, if the weather holds for another weekend.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 28th October 2016, 5:21 pm

How are your Brussell sprouts doing Dandelion? I took the netting off mine today and had a good weed and staked them up. They're looking a bit more hopeful, the sprouts are about malteser size so provided they keep expanding they should make something though not spectacular. They are one of the later varieties. I found the dreaded mealy aphid on two of the plants but I'm hoping a bit of cold weather will put paid to them.
I've had to admit defeat with my pak choi in the polytunnel. They have been used as an all you can eat buffet by caterpillars. I should have put mesh over when they first germinated. I've got fed up caterpillar hunting every day and I've been fighting a losing battle anyway. The only good thing is that the caterpillars have kept off the adjacent lettuces and cabbages.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top