A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The art of enough Hca_button

The art of enough

5 posters

Go down

The art of enough Empty The art of enough

Post by Chilli-head 11th April 2017, 5:28 pm

One of my minimal living Wimpole friends shared his link on Facebook. A very similar sentiment to some of those Adrian used to express, I thought.

https://experiencelife.com/article/the-art-of-enough/

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

The art of enough Empty Re: The art of enough

Post by Ploshkin 12th April 2017, 4:51 pm

I was amused by the 33 items of clothing in 3 months - I probably don't have much more than 33 items of clothing in total (discounting socks and knickers). I really don't enjoy shopping of any sort and hate 'stuff'.
I hadn't really considered the addictive nature of stuff acquisition. Mostly, the things that I buy are things to aid me in creating other things - sewing, knitting, gardening etc. I suppose I could use an old treadle Singer for sewing but I bought a fairly expensive, good quality machine because it is something that I use all the time. I will have it for many years as it does what I need it to do and I have no desire to upgrade it when something new and more sophisticated comes along.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th April 2017, 9:06 am

Ploshkin wrote: Mostly, the things that I buy are things to aid me in creating other things - sewing, knitting, gardening etc.

Snap! The only thing I really want more of is time. I DO enjoy shopping for things that interest me, after planning out a project, and tbh, I don't mind food shopping either. But I always have a list and the week's menus written on the back. I buy what I need.

I guess I have spent most of my adult life managing on just adequate income, so most of the ideas in that article are second nature anyway. And with the impending retirement of the main breadwinner, along with hardly any pension provision, it's not going to stop anytime soon.

For me, it's all about wanting what you've got, rather than getting what you want.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 13th April 2017, 9:37 am

I think that's the Buddhist philosophy, isn't it?
I'm one of those who expects things to last and last and see no point looking for the latest anything if what I have still functions.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th April 2017, 10:46 am

When I read Ploshkin's post, I almost commented that most of us on here are probably of the same mind in this, looks like I was right !

The only things I like shopping for are my tools. And then my favourite ones are all second (multi ?) hand. The really favourite ones are those from my grandad, but some are from Tools for Self Reliance, and some ebay. I also like rescuing old tools; I picked up a woodworking plane at a stall at last years bodger's ball - it was so rust covered that the stall holder let me have it for nothing. After a lot of de-rusting, painting and grinding it is now quite useable again. I like the idea that many hands before me have used the same tools to make things, and I hope they'd not be disappointed to know what became of their tools !

I suppose the next stuff down that I sometimes like shopping for are stuff for hobbies. Seeds for the garden, but not much more. I try to avoid the worst of the garden centre tat. And outdoor stuff, but there my view is that it must be the minimum amount of really good stuff. Because (a) you have to carry it all and (b) outdoor gear that leaks or otherwise fails can ruin your whole week.

Clothes shopping is a last resort, once or twice per annum when the socks and jeans are in holes. It usually takes me a stiff drink afterwards to recover from the experience.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th April 2017, 11:04 am

I've just had time to read the article (and echo what freebird says, that the one thing I would like more of is time!) Really thought provoking - I like the suggestions at the end of each section.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum