A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? Hca_button

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?

5 posters

Go down

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? Empty Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?

Post by Chilli-head 2nd July 2017, 10:29 pm

Ok, I'm still stinging from the criticism of my thread title for June, I'm not sticking my neck out for July Laughing

It has been hot and sunny this weekend over here in the East.  I spent Saturday at the allotment, getting on top of weed control, and doing what will probably be some of the final sowings for this summer.  Another row of peas, and some oriental veg; Pak Choi and Chinese cabbage.  I've put these on the Hugel, which is in a damper and slightly more shady end of the plot in the hope of avoiding bolting.  The French beans on the side of the mound are now flowering, so hopefully I'll be picking those soon, the plans look pretty good.

Picked off 4lb of blackcurrants while I was there; some will need to be made into jam.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 16th August 2017, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? Empty Re: Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?

Post by freebird 3rd July 2017, 5:41 pm

For the first time ever I have sowed seed into completely homemede compost. I sieved out some of the dalek compost, which had contained nothing but couch grass a few years ago. The ants nest I found in it had made some very fine planting mix - maybe a bit too fine, so mixed in equal volume with some spent compost from last year's greenhouse pots. That was also homemade compost.

The resulting mix seems really nice and drained beautifully. Only planted the seeds this afternoon (lettuce and salad leaves) so will have a wait now to see how effective it is as a seed starter.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? Empty Re: Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?

Post by freebird 6th July 2017, 10:29 pm

Well they've germinated.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 8th July 2017, 2:00 pm

Nice and quick!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th July 2017, 8:41 pm

Things are a bit half hearted outside still.  I've resown carrots and some have germinated.  I've had to poke sugar snap peas in the many gaps in the row but beans seem to be coming now.  I don't really want beans too early as the polytunnel is producing pounds.
I think I've got a problem with my sweetcorn in the tunnel.  It's,starting to flower while the plants are still quite short and have no cobs formed yet. The tallest plant has shed a load of pollen already and there's nothing to pollinate.  A bit of googling suggests that temperatures have been too high - it has regularly been 42° in there with all the doors open.  I'm wondering if it's possible to bag the flower heads to catch the pollen and shake it out once there are silks.
My melons however are excitingly promising - I have 2 the size of ..... well, small melons and several more that appear to have been successfully pollinated.

Last edited by Ploshkin on 8th July 2017, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing nonsense)
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 9th July 2017, 8:12 am

Ploshkin wrote:  I'm wondering if it's possible to bag the flower heads to catch the pollen and shake it out once there are silks.
Seems like it might be worth a try.

I've had two French bean plants suddenly die, just as the flowers were turning into beans. Maybe ants nest at the roots, maybe vine weevil.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th July 2017, 12:19 pm

I'm pleased to see the first silks have appeared on the tallest sweetcorn plant. They suddenly sprung from nowhere so hopefully famine has been avoided. I was just measuring how big a piece of fleece I would need to bag a flower head when I noticed.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th July 2017, 5:16 pm

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic:

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? 20170710

I've got two vines on a south facing wall (built by my own hand, of course ...).  Hopefully I'll get to the fruit before the blackbirds have them all.  If not, at least I can have dolmades !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 13th July 2017, 7:48 pm

Ooh, will they be red or green?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 9:58 pm

...and are they to eat or for wine?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:02 pm

I managed to get my leeks planted out in the week, just in time for the rainy day on Tuesday. I used the wheelbarrow, tipping out the pot of leeks and soil into it, then using a hand fork to tease the plants out. I would definitely try this method again (especially as I now have a jaunty enviromesh 'hat' to keep the leek moths off while the leeks are growing in the large pot or bucket!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

They are white wine grapes. Scheurebe and Silvaner, I think. I have never had enough to make wine though, which is not surprising really as it takes about a vine per bottle. Or in the case of Sauternes, a vine per glass !

The juice is nice though, even without fermentation.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 16th July 2017, 9:42 pm

I've never had a chicken who liked tomatoes before. But Ginger escaped into the vegetable patch tonight, and was found looking guilty standing by one of the tomato plants, which had two almost-eaten fruit dangling from it!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 16th July 2017, 11:31 pm

Daisy, my one remaining chicken, loves tomatoes. And strawberries. I think she's attracted to the red.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 17th July 2017, 4:49 pm

Tomatillo miscalculation:

Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ? Tomati10

There are five plants, which looks set to produce enough fruit for me to open a Mexican restaurant !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th July 2017, 9:42 pm

What do you do with tomatillos, and what do they taste like?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 17th July 2017, 9:55 pm

Tomatillos are husked fruits looking like a cape gooseberry from the outside, but with a bigger, green, yellow or purple fruit within. Recipes often suggest tomatoes as a substitute, but they really have their own distinctive taste, and to my nose a hint of Edam cheese !

Used in Mexican salsa verde and other sauces, either fresh or blackened under the grill. I will hopefully make some sauce with some of them and Chipotle chillies (smoked jalapeño). Mmm.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Tomatillos are husked fruits looking like a cape gooseberry from the outside, but with a bigger, green, yellow or purple fruit within.   Recipes often suggest tomatoes as a substitute, but they really have their own distinctive taste, and to my nose a hint of Edam cheese !

Used in Mexican salsa verde and other sauces, either fresh or blackened under the grill.  I will hopefully make some sauce with some of them and Chipotle chillies (smoked jalapeño).  Mmm.

It all sounds very tasty!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down