A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Hand Weeding Tool Hca_button

Hand Weeding Tool

4 posters

Go down

Hand Weeding Tool Empty Hand Weeding Tool

Post by Ploshkin 30th April 2018, 3:23 pm

I think we had some discussion on this topic before but it was inconclusive.
Does anyone have recommendations for good hand weeding tools - 2 applications really.
First off I want a good, sharp hoe for the polytunnel.  Weeding a lot in there is the price I pay for using muck off the heap but I can't pass up a gift like that.  The couple of hand weeders I've got just drag the weeds out but don't cut them off and inevitably quite a lot just keep on growing.   I'd like a tool with a not too short handle so that I can reach the back of the beds (they're only 2' wide).  

Outside the weeds I deal with the most are creeping buttercup and docks.  I've always been a big daisy grubber fan but since the wooden handle of my ancient one disintegrated I've not been able to find another with the same robustness.  The buttercups are pretty tenacious and I find that, regardless of the appearance and name (titan, goliath etc), they just bend.  Is there anything better for buttercup grubbing?  Docks are fine if they haven't got too much of a hold but once the root has gone so far I don't know how to get the out and end up leaving root behind.  One issue is that I have weak wrists so need the assistance of a bit of leverage.
Any suggestions?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Hand Weeding Tool Empty Re: Hand Weeding Tool

Post by Chilli-head 30th April 2018, 3:58 pm

Well, here you go:

http://forum.homemadelife.com/t509-what-hoe

Eight years ago !

Most hoe blades you buy can be sharpened with a decent file. Which means you will need to, as they are soft enough to blunt quickly in soil !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th April 2018, 6:12 pm

I'm sure I haven't been here for 8 years but probably saw it when you resurrected it before.
I like the look of the wolf hoe - presumably you get the heads and handles separately, I see you can get a short handle.  I parent have anything long handled in the polytunnel and I'm very nervous with canes.

Any thoughts about the daisy grubber problem?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th April 2018, 7:46 pm

Wolf also do a daisy grubber - the handle is fixed on mine rather than being one of the interchangeable ones. It's one of my favourite tools: I've used it almost more than my trowel or fork for two years, and there's no sign of any stress on it.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 1st May 2018, 9:47 am

FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st May 2018, 9:56 am

FloBear wrote:Not a daisy grubber but may be relevant for the long tap-rooted weeds. Pinched from another forum.

https://www.worldofwolf.co.uk/categories/fixed-hand-tools/product/wolf-garten-weeding-planting-knife-with-fixed-handle/KS2K~KS2K

That's the one!!

Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st May 2018, 12:12 pm

Yes, Mrs C-H has one of those for getting dandelions out of the lawn. (No offence intended to present company Laughing). I don't know how well it works, but it is not bent yet which is a good sign.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 1st May 2018, 1:16 pm

I'm about to invest in one as I have a great need for it - not only for dandelions. As opposed to Dandelions ;-)
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st May 2018, 2:24 pm

I think I will invest in Wolf too given the recommendations - we will be able to compare notes.  Unfortunately, it won't be any good me getting 2 different heads for one handle as I need the weeder for the garden and the hoe for the polytunnel and they are some distance apart.  Guaranteed the handle would always be in the wrong place.
I did get a rather nice little 'vintage' daisy grubber on a 2nd hand tool stand at a show last year.  I was attracted to it because it has 3 prongs and I'd not seen a 3 pronged one before.  It's a pretty strong thing.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st May 2018, 5:41 pm

After all this discussion of hand weeding tools I have realised today that I already possess probably the best hand weeding tool / hoe there is.
Let me introduce my triangular hoe.
Hand Weeding Tool P1020410

Mr P made it for me 20 years ago from a piece of stainless steel chair leg and a used concrete cutting disc. It is based on the extinct Radnorshire triangular hoe.
Unfortunately, mine spends more time lost in the garden than actually being used but that's my fault. Using it today I was actually thinking about it. All actions are towards yourself and the weight of the head means that the swing is effective and it puts minimal strain on the wrist. The straight edges hoe effectively (or they will when they've had a bit of a sharpen) and the most pointed end is brilliant for swinging in amongst the roots of creeping buttercups. I then push away from me and because of the flat surface and wider opposite end I get good leverage even on soft soil to lift the weed. I also find, possibly because it's wider than the daisy grubber that I can lift the weed vertically, if there isn't room for leverage, mush more easily than with the daisy grubber. It is good with dandelions too as I go in at a steeper angle and generally get all or most of the root out
The head is 3" on the short side and 4" on the long sides. It's a bit big for waving around in confined spaces or between delicate plants and could cause havoc when sharpened but I'm going to request another in a smaller size which should be just the job for the polytunnel - I only really need the hoeing function in there. I will have to find a suitable handle and give it to Mr P and stand over him while he makes it because he seems incapable of producing anything that doesn't need a crane to lift it.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd May 2018, 5:03 pm

Until I knew the scale, I thought it was a wallpaper scraper.
The idea of Mr P's industrial-sized creations made me laugh. Best of luck with your dainty design!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down