A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Ploshkin 10th December 2018, 3:12 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 2nd December 2018, 9:41 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Ploshkin 2nd December 2018, 8:24 pm

» Almost forgot the November garden !
by Ploshkin 18th November 2018, 8:08 pm

» "Reservoirs can make water shortages worse"
by Ploshkin 15th November 2018, 9:44 pm

» Tomato Relish
by Ploshkin 7th November 2018, 9:29 am

» Hydropower not sustainable either ...
by Ploshkin 7th November 2018, 9:26 am

» Some stuff I have made
by FloBear 31st October 2018, 9:02 pm

» It's now more difficult to dispose of plastic waste
by Ploshkin 29th October 2018, 4:58 pm

» Should I worry about - nylon strimmer line ?
by Chilli-head 29th October 2018, 3:01 pm

» Garlic storage pot ...
by Dandelion 22nd October 2018, 9:06 pm

» The October Garden - winding down or planning ahead?
by Ploshkin 22nd October 2018, 11:28 am

» knitting soft toys
by Dandelion 14th October 2018, 4:20 pm

» Beetle id please
by Dandelion 4th October 2018, 5:43 pm

» Important: Founder transfer ?
by Chilli-head 1st October 2018, 2:57 pm

» Need a login to insert an image
by Ploshkin 1st October 2018, 2:47 pm

» Kiva - Loans that change lives.
by Dandelion 24th September 2018, 9:46 pm

» Harvest season in the September garden
by Dandelion 21st September 2018, 10:10 pm

» Curry powder
by Chilli-head 19th September 2018, 6:41 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 16th September 2018, 11:08 am

Statistics
We have 242 registered users
The newest registered user is mumandmo

Our users have posted a total of 46054 messages in 2377 subjects
HML on FaceBook
Pages we like:

RSS feeds

Important: Founder transfer ?

Go down

default Important: Founder transfer ?

Post by Chilli-head on 26th September 2018, 1:05 pm

I mentioned in the Kiva thread that I've had communication with Adrian and his partner MG.  This was raised by MG contacting me to say he was cancelling his internet hosting package.

This doesn't directly affect the forum and it's contents, that is hosted (for free) by Forumotion and will always be available by the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But it does affect us in two ways.  First, though I've transferred the domain name homemadelife.com to me, we have been freeloading on them for the redirection of forum.homemadelife.com to the actual forum hosted by Forumotion. I have sorted this already.

The second issue is that Adrian's e-mail used to create the forum no longer works, so noone receives e-mail to the forum founder, or PM's to Adrian.  It also means we don't have access to the small number of things only the founder can do - mostly recovering the forum from an Admin cock-up.  

Forumotion can transfer the founder access to me; I have checked with Adrian and he his happy with whatever I want to do, he has moved on completely now.  I think the practical implications are that Adrian's account would be renamed to a generic "Admin", and I would have access to it if need be - but I'd keep my existing account for normal purposes.

But I do need your agreement - especially the Mods / Admin - that's JadedGreen and Dandelion - to get Forumotion admin to make the change.  Are you happy for me to do that ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

default Re: Important: Founder transfer ?

Post by Dandelion on 27th September 2018, 9:09 pm

It all sounds fine to me - is there any small print or are there any problems I might not have understood, or is it all straightforward?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 27th September 2018, 9:50 pm

I'm afraid I'm a complete technodunce so wouldn't know if there are any pitfalls or not - it sounds ok to me.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 28th September 2018, 5:01 pm

I looked into this when I figured out that I (and anyone else) couldn't contact Adrian by PM anymore. Or by the e-mail the forum has for him. I've not worried much about having an absentee founder because I knew how to get hold of him. There aren't many things that only the forum founder can do, and we've muddled through without them for a few years, but I thought it might be best to sort it out just in case.

I don't think there is "small print", but I had hoped that it was just as simple as making a user a mod or admin, to give someone access to the founder tools. Seems not, the founder account is special. So the downside I can see is that the way founder access is transferred; Forumotion change his account name to "Admin", change the e-mail address and password associated with it and hand over the keys. So, Adrian's account and all his posts would be attributed to "Admin". Though thinking about it, perhaps if we only need access to the account in the event of needing to do something only the founder can do, we could just change the name back to Adrian and outwardly it would look no different.

Does that make sense ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th September 2018, 10:10 pm

I don't think my brain really works in that way - are you thinking that out of courtesy we should still mention Adrian's name somewhere in the admin tools?

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 29th September 2018, 9:11 pm

I mean that access to the founder tools can only be from Adrian's account. To transfer it, Adrian's account would be renamed 'Admin', so all his posts from back when would be attributed to 'Admin'. Then the e-mail address and password would be changed to give me access. If we preferred, I think we could then change the account name back from Admin to Adrian, so his posts remain attributed to him.

Does that make better sense ?
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 30th September 2018, 12:56 pm

Got it!! Yes, that sounds right

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 1st October 2018, 2:57 pm

I was just saying in response to Ploshkin's comments about uploading photos that just when I think I understand it all I find that I don't. Reading more on the support forum, maybe the access to the founder tools is separate from the founder's forum account - I think I'll just have to do it and see what happens. Aim is to have access to the forum restore functions etc, without any outward changes to the forum.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down