A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» knitting soft toys
by Dandelion 14th October 2018, 4:20 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 8th October 2018, 7:34 pm

» Some stuff I have made
by FloBear 4th October 2018, 9:47 pm

» Beetle id please
by Dandelion 4th October 2018, 5:43 pm

» The October Garden - winding down or planning ahead?
by Dandelion 1st October 2018, 5:17 pm

» Important: Founder transfer ?
by Chilli-head 1st October 2018, 2:57 pm

» Need a login to insert an image
by Ploshkin 1st October 2018, 2:47 pm

» Kiva - Loans that change lives.
by Dandelion 24th September 2018, 9:46 pm

» Harvest season in the September garden
by Dandelion 21st September 2018, 10:10 pm

» Curry powder
by Chilli-head 19th September 2018, 6:41 pm

» Tomato Relish
by Ploshkin 17th September 2018, 9:05 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 16th September 2018, 11:08 am

» Reflections on the season - 2018
by Dandelion 14th September 2018, 7:04 pm

» A good year for the forager ?
by Ploshkin 12th September 2018, 9:03 pm

» First go at proper wine
by Chilli-head 10th September 2018, 10:07 am

» Pizza oven !
by freebird 3rd September 2018, 4:37 pm

» Plummeting potato sales
by Ploshkin 19th August 2018, 11:31 am

» The neglected August garden
by freebird 19th August 2018, 10:27 am

» New Things In Your Pond Today...
by FloBear 15th August 2018, 4:57 pm

» The magazine rack
by Chilli-head 12th August 2018, 7:55 pm

Statistics
We have 241 registered users
The newest registered user is bobfoz

Our users have posted a total of 45942 messages in 2372 subjects
HML on FaceBook
Pages we like:

RSS feeds

What are you harvesting today?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by FloBear on 31st August 2018, 9:06 pm

Meant to say, those grapes look fab, C-H.

You're right about birds not being senstive to capsaicin. I thought that was the case but decided to check!

FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 2nd September 2018, 7:32 am

Interesting about birds / chillies. But, my dog loves a curry and formations how hot it is.
I'm not harvesting anything new in the polytunnel but still have a regular supply of carrots, mange tout, courgettes, tomatoes, pepper and strawberries. Beans are now coming from the garden and I've had a moderate harvest of lovely, unblemished Victoria plums and I've been picking a decent amount of crab apples for mint jelly and chilli jelly (had to buy chillies!)
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 2nd September 2018, 12:06 pm

Interesting auto-correct thing there, Ploshkin - I've never had a curry and formations! Can't figure out what it was meant to be.
Nothing new since my last post, tomatoes still reddening - well, orangeing, to be more precise. Most go in the freezer. Will need to find quite a few tomato-based recipes for Autumn and winter.
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 2nd September 2018, 9:30 pm

No idea where formations came from - I probably said .... no matter how hot it is.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 2nd September 2018, 9:59 pm

Not much harvesting here - a few Marmande tomatoes left in the garden and more or less the last runner beans (but irritatingly all the beans I missed when we were away for a couple of short breaks which are now hard and lumpy and on the way to providing me with next years beans. Irritating because I didn't actually need that large number of bean seeds!!)

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 8th September 2018, 9:10 pm

I picked my first butternut squash today, it had developed a crack with the rain following such a dry summer. It probably won't keep long, so I might cook it Indian style with dahl.

Some good carrots too, enough for a batch of soup. And of course courgettes. There are always courgettes.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 1st October 2018, 9:41 am

I picked the last small strawberries yesterday which, considering I thought the plants were a goner after the first flush of fruit, is pretty good. For the first time I'm getting some lively autumn raspberries. They have taken 3 or 4 years to establish but are going well now. I think they've benefited from being in my beehive plot (to stop Mr P pinching the fruit). They flower when there is little other forage for the bees so they've made a good job of pollination.
I brought back 6 good sized courgettes from the polytunnel yesterday - it would be interesting to know how many my one plant has produced. It must be in excess of 100. The sweet peppers are holding really well on the plants and I just pick a few at a time as and when I want to use them. They ripened so quickly I didn't get much opportunity to have green ones.
I've cut all the squashes now and left them to ripen - final tally is 5 smallish butternuts off 2 plants which is a bit lame and 10 big Uchiki Kuri off one plant.
Also using cabbages and Kale from the garden now.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 5th October 2018, 6:26 pm

I forgot, last week I had the last of the 6 apples off my tree. That makes a total crop of 10 I think in the 11 years I've had it. The skins had some black spots and needed a bit of trimming but the fruit truly lived up to its name which is Scrumptious.

When there is a man here with a machine I'm going to ask them to dig it up and I'm going to put it in the polytunnel plot. I've got nothing to lose and it could end up better off.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th October 2018, 9:13 pm

Apples were poor for me this year, but happily my woodworking friend Jim gave me a bag full. I do however have a load of quinces - suggestions ? ATM my garage smells fabulously fruity Very Happy
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th October 2018, 9:47 pm

I've just been into the kitchen to consult my new (second hand!) Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall book on fruit, and I can oiffer you recipes for herby roast quince (to eat with roast meat) and poached quince. I know there is also quince jelly - I think this is the reason I don't actually like quince, as when I was young my mother made quince jam from the fruit on a neighbour's tree and tried to make us eat it. I think there's still a bit of the stubborn child left in me!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 5th October 2018, 10:05 pm

In this part of the world people have had bumper Apple crops this year which is odd because when the trees were in blossom it was just blowing off in the high winds. My 6 apples was a bumper crop for that tree and I had loads of crab apples when the usual crop is about 12. I'm not in a good spot for apple growing.
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 6th October 2018, 11:26 am

I have three dwarf(ish) apple trees, two of which have had a bumper harvest which I was amazed at because we have had so little rain. The apples are smallish but there are lots of them. The Spartan hasn't had any fruit at all, but it did have a large crop last year, so I think it's having a rest.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 8th October 2018, 7:34 pm

Dug my last potatoes yesterday. Went with our roast pork, along with roasted root vegetables - homegrown carrot and beetroot.

Weeding the vegetable plot revealed I still have some rocket to hsrvest for a salad with the renaining Cerise cherry tomates (which are still very nice).
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5