A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 6 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 2nd December 2018, 7:06 pm

More leeks today. We're using our last celeriac today too. Yesterday I picked peppers and chillies, I have some chillies drying, and some need chopping and freezing for when a quick chilli hit needs adding to a dish. Also got a few Mexican types, Ancho and Serrano, which I need to think of a recipe to combine with my squash abundance !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 2nd December 2018, 8:24 pm

I'm still harvesting carrots from the tunnel and sprouts and kale from the garden.
I have just used my last courgette (picked before the frost). That's pretty good going - continual supply from June to the end of November + a good supply for my neighbour from just one plant. I'm down to my last 2 sweet peppers which have kept well in the fridge and are the sweetest peppers I've ever tasted.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 25th February 2019, 2:40 pm

I was going to post in the 'What are you harvesting today?' thread, but it is locked. Anyone know why?

Anyhow, picked these yesterday (Romanesco cauliflower) and enjoyed one for dinner last night. They're not very big - a bit larger than a tennis ball - but were lovely steamed. First time I've tried either growing or eating them.

What are you harvesting today? - Page 6 20190210
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th February 2019, 3:32 pm

Ooh, that's a result FB.  They look great.  We are just down to leeks and beetroot now.

Do you remember when we talked about going perpetual with the tea room, rather than a fresh thread per month ? I mentioned that the forum software did something weird with very long threads ?  Well, on inspection we have two "What are you harvesting today" threads, this current and "sticky" one (in the top bit section of the topic list) and one further down, and locked.  I think this happens at a limit of 40 pages of posts in one thread; the thread is split off automatically and the "full" thread locked.

I have teleported your post into the right place !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th February 2019, 4:03 pm

I grew romantic a couple of years ago when I wanted a few cauli plants and that was all I could get. They were very successful and I've never done any good with ordinary cauliflowers.
I didn't know they would over winter, I would have thought they would bolt.
I'm still harvesting carrots and parsley from the polytunnel.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 25th February 2019, 4:30 pm

Ploshkin wrote:.
I didn't know they would over winter, I would have thought they would bolt.

Bolting is generally a summer thing, where plants feel under stress and so try to set seed as soon as possible. The Romanesco have the same planting schedule as purple sprouting - I believe I sowed the seed in mid summer and planted them out July/August. I'm assuming I will get some side sprouts now I have harvested the main heads.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 25th February 2019, 5:33 pm

Oh, I bought plants about May time and ate them all about 3 months later and they all had good sized heads on them. I had no idea they were supposed to have a long season.
Perhaps you get summer varieties too (mine had green heads). A friend gave me some lovely psb plants last year and I was very surprised to find them sprouting in September, then the frost killed them off. I seem to recall after that reading that you can get summer varieties of psb. It was a bit disappointing because I was looking forward to having some in the spring.
I'm rubbish with brassica timing apart from Brussels sprouts.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th February 2019, 10:34 pm

I was thinking about this topic on my walk home, and considering asking when you sow PSB / kale / other brassica, because I find it strangely confusing too. Attempting to overwinter them, I either sow them too early, or too late and they come to nothing. Any advice welcome !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th February 2019, 1:17 pm

I'm glad it's not just me CH. I seem to end up with a glut of lovely cabbages in the middle of summer when I don't particularly want to eat cabbage. I did manage to get some good Savoy cabbages one winter and I have once successfully sown seed (hispi I think) to over winter plants for spring cabbages. Perhaps I should repeat those 2 things and get the timing right before branching out.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th February 2019, 6:46 pm

Purple sprouting can be early or late, depending on what variety you grow. I grew a new one to me, called Rudolph. I had hoped for some early sprouting (November) and sowed/planted out accordingly, but it's only just come good. Earlier however than the April picking of a late variety.

I'm no expert, but I've never had attempts come to nothing, unless from pest or disease. I may be wrong, but I believe that autumn/winter crops of the brassica family need to be sown after midsummer, when the days are shortening. Pak choi etc are less inclined to bolt if sown late summer.

Some of my winter salads are in the brassica family, and they are sown very late August or early September. Being sown so late means the plants establish but don't put on too much growth before winter sets in. So that indicates that it would be much too late to start purple sprouting.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th February 2019, 10:04 am

What you say makes sense. So for overwintering brassica, sow after mid summer, maybe July or early August ? I had disappointment from late August sowings of kale etc.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th February 2019, 9:50 pm

You mentioned Hispi, Ploshkin. I try not to use F1 hybrids on the whole (in case I ever want to save seed) but Hispi is an exception I gladly make. It seems to be very adaptable and offers several possibilities for different sowing seasons. Apart from Spring greens (such as Greyhound and Durham Elf) it's about the only cabbage I ever have success with.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 15th March 2019, 11:50 pm

Not exactly harvesting, but we had our first Winter Dumpling squash (from seed swap) for dinner. Tbh, the plants were disappointing, with only one fruit on each of the two plants. They kept well, but when I came to prepare, the skin was like wood veneer - really hard, and the deeply indented fluting made peeling it bordering on impossible. I nearly binned it, but lack of other veg for dinner made me persevere.

So glad I did - it was delicious, and the man said he preferred it to the Uchiki Kuri that I also grew. I ended up rescuing the seeds out the compost bin to keep some for new crops.

Any advice on peeling would be handy though. A lathe and chisel maybe ....?
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 16th March 2019, 10:44 am

My squash Festival have really hard skin. It does at least usually mean they keep well. The ones I've eaten so far I didn't peel at all, just halve, scoop out the seeds, and roast. You csn then either scrape out the flesh for soup, or fill the seed cavity with chilli, top with cheese maybe, bake a bit more and serve, using the skin as a bowl.

Actually, even halving them almost called for a saw !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th March 2019, 2:09 pm

Roasting sections with the skin on can be a good option for squashes.
My Uchiki Kuri that I am using now is really sweet - I think it has improved with keeping. They have kept really well this year all except one which was unseen behind a preserving pan and had just collapsed in a yukky heap.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th March 2019, 5:38 pm

Ooh, I'm the first on this thread in 2019.
Today I have kale sprouts and new rhubarb.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th March 2019, 6:11 pm

Ooh lovely! Is it forced rhubarb? I can see some promising stalks on the Early Timperley in my garden, but I'm still on crutches and the physio hasn't told me how to pull rhubarb while keeping myself upright!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th March 2019, 7:02 pm

Well, it wasn't intentionally forced. The warm weather in Feb caused it to start coming a bit early then we had a lot of frosty nights so I covered it with straw. I'd forgotten about it then yesterday I noticed it had grown quite tall and was still wearing a straw hat.
It was delicious.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th March 2019, 11:55 am

I've cut some Greek cress for my lunchtime sandwiches, and a bit of rocket from last year which survived over winter under cloches. But that's about all.

I do have a chilli plant - basket of fire - which has been in the conservatory over winter. They are a compact and pretty plant with upward pointing fruits, which I've left to dry on the plant. It has started flowering again already ! Early fresh chillies - great.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 26th March 2019, 4:29 pm

Rhubarb!
It was split up and 4 or 5 crowns replanted last year. I think it's bidding for world domination now.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th March 2019, 6:36 pm

Ploshkin wrote:Ooh, I'm the first on this thread in 2019.

Do you think you might need Specsavers Ploshkin? A bit further up (Feb) is a pic of my Romanesco cauliflower!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 26th March 2019, 8:52 pm

Hmmm, yes. The 19s must have looked like 18s on the kindle without wearing my glasses.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 27th March 2019, 5:50 pm

There are 13 posts in 2019 before Ploshkin's statement and 4 of them are hers!!!!
I think men in white coats may be required Shocked

I only came on to say that I have been inspired to try Romanesco cauliflowers as I had some success with brassicas last year and a packet of Romanesco seeds has come into my possession.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th March 2019, 6:47 pm

I found Romanesco much easier to grow than standard caulis. I may give some a go this year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th March 2019, 11:46 am

I may have a go myself if I can bend down before the cauli season is out. Romanesco are so breathtakingly beautiful that I had assumed they would be difficult. I can grow caulis (although I haven't since the Great Cauliflower Glut of 2017 - I didn't know that my other half didn't like them!) so I'll try Romanesco next. I'm pretty sure (thinking back to my college days) that the spiral is based on the Fibonacci sequence, so I might be able to persuade Mr D to eat them on that basis!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 28th March 2019, 1:47 pm

I expect the caulis got the sequence before Fibonacci discovered it! I look forward to examining the spiral when / if I manage to grow any.

I had great success with summer purple broccoli last year - I have just taken out the last stem and let the chickens have it for a treat.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next