A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by Chilli-head 14th July 2019, 9:15 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 12th July 2019, 1:00 pm

» High summer in the July garden
by Dandelion 6th July 2019, 5:32 pm

» Peregrines
by FloBear 4th July 2019, 10:18 pm

» Tomato trusses
by freebird 29th June 2019, 10:31 am

» Bursting out in the June garden
by FloBear 23rd June 2019, 7:11 pm

» New "New Horizons"
by Dandelion 21st June 2019, 4:01 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 10th June 2019, 4:26 pm

» Beautiful moth
by FloBear 8th June 2019, 6:00 pm

» The Gardening "method or madness ?" thread
by Dandelion 4th June 2019, 7:38 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 2nd June 2019, 7:55 pm

» The May garden
by Chilli-head 28th May 2019, 11:05 am

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by Dandelion 12th May 2019, 9:21 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by Dandelion 8th May 2019, 10:08 am

» Solar panels on new houses
by Chilli-head 1st May 2019, 1:33 pm

» Already April in the garden !
by Chilli-head 1st May 2019, 12:40 pm

» Greetings from North Lincolnshire!
by Living proof 1st May 2019, 12:00 pm

» Bodgers ball 2019
by Chilli-head 30th April 2019, 1:12 pm

» The Polytunnel
by FloBear 15th April 2019, 4:45 pm

» Welcome guest
by Dandelion 8th April 2019, 7:35 pm

Statistics
We have 243 registered users
The newest registered user is Living proof

Our users have posted a total of 45847 messages in 2341 subjects
Donate to our chosen Charity
What are you harvesting today? - Page 9 Kiva10
Homemade Life forum supports Kiva micro-loans: supporting people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. You can donate here
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 9 Hca_button

HML on FaceBook

What are you harvesting today?

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head on 28th June 2019, 12:23 pm

I was expecting a bumper crop of strawberries. In truth, I should have got around to picking them earlier, but with work, C-H Jnr on holiday after GCSEs, etc etc I have not had time. Last night I went to pick them, many of the biggest were mush. Some had turned to mush without reaching properly ripe red. I think my lotty is a challenging spot - heavy clay that can stay sodden for ages, but can also dry like concrete. They are in quite an exposed spot sun-wise, which also might be part of the problem. I'm half inclined to grub them up.

One of my blackcurrant bushes has been hit by aphids so hard it has no leaves left, just 5 currants on it. I wonder if that will survive. The problem of not having a proper winter.

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 28th June 2019, 1:07 pm

I seem to have a bumper crop of gooseberries. Back in May, with the dry weather, they looked pathetic and I stopped taking any notice of them. The weeds have taken over my soft fruit area (they're as tall as me) but I suddenly noticed huge gooseberries hanging like bunches of grapes - the wet June weather was obviously good for them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 28th June 2019, 2:07 pm

I have chillies. Some quite red. My family have bunked off to the beach for the weekend, so I think tonight might be chilli night for me. Maybe with cold beer.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 28th June 2019, 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info about strawberries. I'm amazed that I never knew they didn't ripen further after picking - I must have grown them on and off for about 20 years!! I think I've always picked them off the plant and eaten them straight away. The jam idea is appealing - I might find a compote recipe and make a small amount to be eaten immediately!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 29th June 2019, 10:35 am

My first blueberries of the season. There won't be many as last autumn I cut the plants back hard so they wouldn't be too huge to transport when we move.

Also some whopping strawberries, with lots more to come, good picking of loganberries and gooseberries. All for eating straight away as I am trying to empty the freezer.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 3rd July 2019, 9:29 pm

Peas!! The first ones of the year, eaten in a risotto with a bit of lemon and parmesan.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 3rd July 2019, 10:30 pm

Loads of gooseberries from my very neglected bush. I've left so.e to go red but the blackbirds will probably get there first. Had a good first pick of raspberries today too.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 3rd July 2019, 10:31 pm

We had sugar snap peas lusaka yesterday, nice and not at all stringy. Few tomatoes tonight, with some lettuce and rocket.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 5th July 2019, 10:08 am

I really liked Lusaka too. Did you get them from the seed swap? Can't remember if I put some in.

Another big bowl of strawberries, and brought in my garlic which I dug up last week and left drying in the sun.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 5th July 2019, 11:45 am

I bought the seed I have, but I can't remember where. I did buy some stuff from T&M, who I usually avoid because of excess mailbombing and small packet sizes, so it could be from there.

I've also sown a lot of peas that are by now quite an assortment of inter-bred petit pois types - I leave the plants when I'm done harvesting, and pull them up when dry saving any seed. These are a few generations on from buying their ancestors, and seem to germinate and grow better than the fresh seed I've bought. What's not to like ?Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 5th July 2019, 4:18 pm

It sounds as if you've got some pea descendents who like the conditions in your garden/allotment!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 5th July 2019, 5:22 pm

I've been a bit lackadaisical about watering so am not getting as much produce as I probably ought but I've picked a tubful of broad beans for our evening meal and a few sugar snap peas to share with the parrot.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 6th July 2019, 5:32 pm

More peas picked today - and it's been so much easier to see them on a cloudy dull day without the sun glinting in my eyes!!

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 7th July 2019, 4:47 pm

Tonight's dinner plan is piri piri chicken, on a bed of lettuce, with grilled padron peppers and potato salad. Chilli, garlic, oregano, thyme, lettuce, padrons and potatoes all from the garden. A very smug trug Laughing
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin on 14th July 2019, 1:07 pm

A great crop of raspberries and well pollinated - my bees have earned their keep this year.
.... and FIGS
I've been despairing because they've been continually going soft and dropping off and they're like cotton wool inside. Finally I've had a few that are properly ripe and sweet - delicious.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 14th July 2019, 2:55 pm

Perhaps the dropping off is normal - like June drop for apples.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 14th July 2019, 4:30 pm

The last of the strawberries, and a good handful of blueberries. Fortunately a friend who came for tea in June reminded me that the birds like blueberries too, so I netted the two plants, and we have a reasonable crop.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear on 14th July 2019, 7:50 pm

Lots of blueberries this year, best ever crop.
The mollycoddled raspberries, Joan J, have plenty of fruit starting, the sadly neglected Autumn Bliss have managed to produce a small crop but have run out of energy now.
That reminds me, I'd better go out and do some watering now the tennis has finished.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 14th July 2019, 9:15 pm

Padron peppers, they are being very well behaved producing a dozen peppers per week from three plants.

We had lettuce, tomatoes and spring onions to go with our wraps for lunch earlier, then garlic, onions and tomatoes for the pork tinga for dinner after the padron starter.

On Friday I picked some broccoli, not sure why it was ready now, but it went with some more of the sugar snap peas, new potatoes, garlic, onion and chilli into a kari sayur.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9