A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 10 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+3
Chilli-head
freebird
FloBear
7 posters

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 10 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by FloBear 1st August 2019, 9:26 pm

My little fig tree has succumbed to the heat and not-enough-watering Crying or Very sad

I have picked a large jugful of small red gooseberries, green gooseberries, blueberries and raspberries. The raspberries are being bored into by wasps so I have to be careful when I pick!
Made summer pudding with last lot of mixed fruit, including blackcurrants.

FloBear

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 10 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 2nd August 2019, 4:14 pm

My first melon of the year - divine as always
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 2nd August 2019, 6:25 pm

Ooh, sounds fab.
I had my first tomato yesterday.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 2nd August 2019, 7:58 pm

I'm officially drowning in tomatoes and cucumbers.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th August 2019, 7:50 pm

It's been deathly quiet around here - has everyone vanished under an avalanche of courgettes (though they are having stiff competition from the cucumbers this year)?
I came back from the polytunnel tonight with courgettes, cucumbers, melons, sweet corn, tomatoes, French beans strawberries and some green chillies - my trug was quite heavy to carry. As a bonus I picked a few field mushrooms on the way back.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 18th August 2019, 8:12 pm

My Joan J raspberries are playing a blinder and I'm picking from my later blueberry plant though the fruits are quite small. They were lovely on top of a baked cheesecake. A few tomatoes and potatoes have been harvested too though I didn't officiallt plant potatoes this year!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th August 2019, 4:05 pm

Back from my travels, fridge is empty, so dinner is what I can find ! Salad with peppers, tomatoes and (some of the many) cucumbers.

Lots of chillies and peppers. I dug over the potato bed so have found some of the inevitable escapees. Courgettes - I took Monty Don's advice and with some scepticism sowed my left over El Greco seeds really late - like in July - and picked four perfect courgettes today. Handful of French beans, a few carrots, some broccoli spears and a pointy cabbage (amother six ready, there's a challenge). Looks like vegetable curry again !

Surprises were a few raspberries which are nominally autumn fruiting, and 15 Laxtons Advance pears, which are perfectly ready to eat.

I think it will be pasta with a riasted pepper and tomato sauce sometime this week, and whatever I can make with cabbages bigthink
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th August 2019, 11:26 am

Ploshkin wrote:It's been deathly quiet around here - has everyone vanished under an avalanche of courgettes (though they are having stiff competition from the cucumbers this year)?

After having cooked a lot of courgettes, frozen some and put the larger ones in the porch to harden up for storage, I decided I'd had enough, and dug up two of the three plants. The third plant has continued to produce courgettes, but I'm not sure my other half can take any more!!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th August 2019, 8:42 pm

We have a fair few courgettes, but are not quite drowning yet.

Today I picked over the tomatoes to make passata. What a great variety Red Pear from Seeds of Italy is ! Deep red and fleshy through, and decent sized fruit. Also pulled some carrots, not great with the lack of rain. Happily Jalapenos have done well, so pizza tonight was quite picante Very Happy

Why is the tree fruit so early ? My apples are being destroyed ny wasps. The pears are perfectly scrummy though. But strange to be eating them in August ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th August 2019, 9:34 pm

Ha ha - my apples are being destroyed by chickens!! There is so much fruit on two of the trees (despite me thinning them out fairly drastically) that the boughs are bending over and almost touching the lawn. The chickens think it's great!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th September 2019, 10:04 am

I've managed to rescue a small crop of Victoria plums from the wasps. Yesterday I finished the honey harvest - another bumper year. I took 150 lbs off the hives and left about the same amount for the bees' winter stores.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th September 2019, 7:56 pm

I enjoyed the entire crop of my pear tree at lunchtime yesterday - yes, just one pear! I'm thinking of cutting the pear tree down as it's never done very well, and I could do with the space. But there are blackberries, which seem to be very prolific this year
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th September 2019, 9:41 pm

Loads of stuff today. Cabbage, peas, sweetcorn,, carrots, onions, spring onions, beetroot, first butternut squash, padron peppers, ohnivec and prarie fire chillies, beans for drying, apples, pears and raspberries. Some for the freezer, but a lot to eat up !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th September 2019, 8:48 pm

Sounds good!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th September 2019, 12:17 pm

6 blueberries - the entire crop. I don't know why the birds left them, they were delicious.
I am about to order a fruit cage!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th September 2019, 1:27 pm

I wrapped our blueberry in environmesh this year, so got to taste them. They were good with pancakes and maple syrup brought back from our trip to Canada.

I haven't harvested anything yet, but dropped into the allotment this morning for work reasons ... to take images of a variety of crop plants with a new sort of machine vision camera. But it does look like I need to pop back; peas and beans to harvest. Some courgettes. Not a very productive year for the squashes, only 5 butternuts, and not very big.

No wine making this year - there were a lot of grapes but the blackbirds were really enjoying them and I am far too soft...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 3rd October 2019, 1:17 pm

The final melon picked this morning - that's a total of 10 this year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 9th October 2019, 6:27 pm

First small picking of my winter salad leaves, and my first ever crop grown from seed in my new garden. Not enough leaves on their own, but they will supplement the shop bought lettuce tonight.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 11th October 2019, 8:02 pm

Well done. You've put me to shame. I have nothing to harvest except apples - and the trees were already here when I moved in!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th October 2019, 9:17 pm

I'm still harvesting purple sprouting broccoli grown from from FloBear's seeds, and very tasty it is too!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th October 2019, 7:45 am

I brought a full wheelbarrow of veg back from the lotty yesterday ! Admittedly a lot of it should have been sorted already.  Beetroot, Bedfordshire champion onions, carrots, courgette, butternut squash, Greek giant beans, and even a couple of not bolted florence fennel !

Now I need to think of what to cook, I'm doing dinner two nights this week.  I picked a trug full of chillies from the greenhouse too, so they may well feature ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 14th October 2019, 7:57 am

I've had my final cucumbers and courgettes. The plants were willing to keep producing but the grey mould is now rampant so I've cleared them out now. I've had the first of the butternut squashes, I've managed to get 9 really good sized ones from one plant. My late developing Rose de Berne tomatoes are still ripening nicely, they're a bit cracked as they're relying on the rainwater seeping under the sides of the tunnel and sun is in short supply.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th October 2019, 7:50 pm

Harvesting today was in part determined by the need to clear space for autumn sowings. So, beans. Normally for drying, but they are not likely to do that now, so I went for the approach Paulo from Seeds of Italy advised me - cut your losses and freeze them. The beans are grown from saved seeds of Greek Gigandes, but they routinely cross with runners, giving giant, but black and mauve coloured beans. And just the one, really uniformly pretty rose pink bean !

Also red cabbage, and purple curly kale that looks very "healthy", if you know what I mean !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th October 2019, 9:19 pm

What are you planting this autumn CH?
I'm loving this mild October - there are still autumn raspberries on the canes, a few blackberries, a lot of apples (which are still a bit reluctant to be picked) - I even took a giant red strawberry to school in my lunchbag last week! The greenhouse has a few tomatoes ripening, and the broccoli may yield another picking.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th October 2019, 2:49 pm

Just onions and garlic at the allotment, and hopefully broad beans in the garden veg plot, which is very well drained so avoids rot / blackleg problems on the beans, but grows tiddly garlic compared to the heavy clay allotment.

But what a lot of beans I have. The gigandes from the lotty are in the freezer, and I've just picked a trug of lazy housewife beans that are too old to eat as green beans, but not yet dried - they are going to be a smokey chilli tonight with some of my home smoked chipotles and a green pepper from the greenhouse.

I don't know if I mentioned but our freezer, probably 30 years old, packed up this summer. The replacement is super-duper energy efficient. But - it does that by having such thick insulation that there is little room inside ! So, we are now faced with needing another freezer, probably one in the garage. Maybe not so energy efficient after all !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st October 2019, 10:43 am

180 chilles yesterday. And that's not all of them Very Happy Ristra stringing will be the job for one evening this week.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next