A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 5 Hca_button

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

+15
Lottie
Ginny
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
danksshady
Snoopka
Adrian
Chilli-head
vwalker99999
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
Dandelion
polgara
Nick B
Compostwoman
19 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by Compostwoman 10th June 2010, 9:13 pm

I have lots on mine...must be a good year!

Do you have a greenhouse or a PT? I can't remember?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 5 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by danksshady 11th June 2010, 5:10 pm

my dad has loads of cucumbers on his plants but mine are still quite small
danksshady
danksshady

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 11th June 2010, 5:21 pm

Wow Chilli-head! Do you have the recipe for Bread and Butter Pickle? The best use of a cucumber glut I know.

My aubergines are doing well they have appreciated the hot April I think.
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th June 2010, 7:31 am

My cues are doing well, just repotted another lot & gerkins as well. Just a tidy up really after being away.

Love the cues chilli, are they taking over like Triffids?
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th June 2010, 9:25 am

We started eating cucumbers yesterday, just as-is in a salad for the first tasting. Nice flavour with a soft skin.

These are growing in the sunniest corner of my greenhouse. The white pots are 15 litre catering mayonaise tubs with the bottom cut out, on a bed of sand. I like this system, it is what I use for tomatoes. I follow Geoff Hamilton's advice (in most things garden related, in fact), and train them up a cane nipping out side shoots after two leaves. So far that haven't quite taken over, and I'll probably be quite strict in disciplining them if they try because they are next door to my rocoto chillies, which are an important crop What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 5 Icon_biggrin

PS Zoe; I don't have that recipe but I am intrigued, if you can share it or point me to it ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 18th June 2010, 1:54 pm

Tied up toms & some cuecumbers planted some seed to come through before I put them out. Some broad beans soaking ready to plant in the hope of some extra pods.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th February 2011, 10:53 am

Phew, time to dust off the propagators and clean the glass ...

My propagators went on yesterday, with some module trays of seed compost to warm up ready to receive tomato and pepper seed, hopefully this weekend.

I'll also be sowing onions and leeks in the next few days, and some loo roll broad beans - the overwintered ones have suffered more then normal this year.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 4th February 2011, 10:56 am

Am watching with keen interest a 16' x 168' polytunnel on Ebay. Only issue with it is collecting - it is about 1500kg of metal in 12 foot sections. Not going to go on the roof of the Landy.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 4th February 2011, 3:11 pm

Ooo good luck Billy. Would you have room to put it up, or have you filled up the field with livestock?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th February 2011, 3:16 pm

That's quite a PT Billy ... the size of a generous allotment these days. If the only problem you envisage is transportation, I admire your energy !

A trailer ought to do it ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ginny 4th February 2011, 11:38 pm

Oh to have the balmy English climate here in Nova Scotia !
Today I waded through chest-deep drifts, shovelled ten tons of snow off my polytunnel and coaxed the plastic-pipe ribs back into shape.
I start my seeds on a shelving in the kitchen where they can be kept warm and well-lit, so they will be moved into the kitchen this weekend. Can't wait, although I think my other half might have a different opinion.
Ginny
Ginny
Ginny

http://www.barnwoodinn.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th February 2011, 4:22 pm

Having read that, maybe I will start some seeds off this weekend - I was going to wait until the end of winter, but hope springs eternal....
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 5th February 2011, 5:09 pm

Fired up the hot boxes yesterday and so have now got 12 , 6 pot seed modules planted up with the earliest peppers and tomatos. Very Happy

Also filled the potato sacks ready for the early spuds now chitting, which will go in the sacks, inside the poly tunnel, Will probably do this next weekend, now.

Planted some more early carrots in pots, salads and herbs. All in a cold frame inside the PT.

Planted some broad beans and some peas, to get an early start. BB in loo roll tubes, peas in a length of gutter pipe

It felt good to be planting this season seeds, as opposed to stuff to eat fairly quickly over winter ( like salads or herbs)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 8th February 2011, 10:46 am

Planted some broad beans in cardboard tubes & put in the greenhouse.

Planted a tin can with spring onions, also in the greenhouse

Put some chitted potatos in an old flower bucket in the greenhouse.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th February 2011, 11:09 am

Last night, by the light of growlamps, I sowed:

Broad beas in loo roll cores (thanks to CW for the great idea of standing them up in old module trays)

Peppers: Gourmet, California wonder
Chillies: Hungarian wax, Ancho, Mulato, Rocoto, Facing heaven
Tomatoes: Andine Cornue, Royale des Guineaux, Yellow perfection, Harbinger, "Iowa"

The last is not a real variety name as such, but came via my dad from Heirloom Tomatoes. Apparently comes from a family in Iowa who aren't quite sure what it is ! Only 2 seeds of that one, so fingers crossed !

Exciting to get the 2011 sowing season underway !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 24th February 2011, 7:28 pm

Potted on some tomato, okra and pepper plants . Very Happy

That made room in the propagator, so I sowed some more...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 25th February 2011, 9:11 am

Opened the vents... Embarassed Laughing
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th March 2011, 1:18 pm

Re-assembled my big propagator at the weekend. Masterpiece of junk reuse - a frame from aluminium (was secondary double glazing frames) with corner brackets cut from a door kick plate. Twinwall polycarbonate ends and top (from a skip), and bubble wrap front and back. It sits over a bed of sand with a soil warming cable, and stays at a much better controlled temperature than the little shop bought electric propagators.

Sowed leeks, onions, cucumber, Italian giant parsley and some more chillies.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 7th March 2011, 3:29 pm

Planted peppers from damp tissue to paper pots.

Other things growing well in spite of the freezing weather, so well pleased.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th March 2011, 8:32 pm

Potted on 20 tomato plants and sowed more tomato and pepper seeds.

Am now using 4 heated propagators.

In the polytunnel, sowed the parsnip seeds in tubes, also peas and celeriac and more ( different) leeks.

Will plant out the broad beans and shallots tomorrow I think.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 8th March 2011, 9:24 pm

Planted some of the broad beans in thier pot, & put some more to soak to fill the gaps.

Planted more onions.

Planted soaked peppers in to tubes.

Did a pot of lettuce.

Put some beetroot to soak.

So a good day & the sun shone as well.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 9th March 2011, 9:33 am

Have just found a use for the little packets that cup a soup comes in. Just got a thing about them at the moment.

They should make little pouches for starting seeds in. I mean to give them a try later this week.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 9th March 2011, 6:17 pm

Tubed up the parsnips & planted more onions.

Put carrot seed to damp down.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th March 2011, 11:01 am

Planted some beetroot, some gerkins. Put some spring onion & radish seeds into tins. The ones I did before are growing well. makes a change not usually any good with either in pots.

Planted more onions. What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 5 260653
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th March 2011, 7:07 pm

Stood and admired the ones at Garden Organic, Ryton Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 17th March 2011, 8:53 pm

Pricked out many, many tomato plants - they are about 6 inches high and I have now got 6 plants of each variety in a cell and another 4 in individual pots.

I have grown;

Pink Cherry, Red Cherry, Aunty Madge, Gardeners Delight (Cherry)

Costoluto Fiorentino, Costoluto Genovese, Big Boy, Beefsteak, Black Russian, Atkins stuffing, Carlton (Beef)

Shirley, Moneymaker, Latah, Roma, Golden Sunrise, Yellow Perfection,

plus a few others I can't remember now...

I have about 170 plants all growing well, some in the cold frame in side the polytunnel ( those are mine!) and some in the porch conservatory ( which I will sell or give away.)

Have similar quantities of peppers, have grown Californian Wonder, Nardullo, Marconi Rosso, Romano and Hot Cayenne chilli.

Last edited by Compostwoman on 19th March 2011, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next