A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 11 Hca_button

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

+15
Lottie
Ginny
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
danksshady
Snoopka
Adrian
Chilli-head
vwalker99999
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
Dandelion
polgara
Nick B
Compostwoman
19 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by freebird 14th May 2014, 6:23 pm

You can have a maximum of six pots on one tank - I started with four, for a couple of years, and added extra last year. Six works just fine.

While the plants are small they don't take a lot of water up, but at full size and fruiting they get through it much more quickly. I can't say for sure, but I know I can go away for at least a week and know that the water won't run out - I think it may last for two at the height of the season.

The only feed I've used is the liquid from my wormery, which I strain into the water reservoir, once I think the plants need it.

It's not counsel of perfection, but it's a lot better than I can do by just watering and feeding by hand. It means I can top up the water when it's convenient for me, and not have to rush out there on a scorching day when I've jobs to get out to.

freebird

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today? - Page 11 Empty Re: What have you done in the greenhouse/polytunnel today?

Post by freebird 17th May 2014, 7:31 pm

Following on from the above post about Easy 2 Grow pots - they were shown on a gardening programme 'Beechgrove Garden'. It's on BBC Scotland on Thursday evenings, though I watch it on the iPlayer. It will still be available for a few more days if you want to see. The pots were shown about 13 minutes in to the programme, and came highly recommended.

If you've not seen the programme before, it's rather reminiscent of how Gardeners' World used to be. I actually prefer it to GW these days.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th May 2014, 10:38 am

I think I have seen that programme an odd time, I'll have a look at that one.
I ordered 4 of the pots to try out. I used the Organic Gardening Catalogue as they were a bit cheaper than most others & postage was reasonable too. They were also the only site that didn't appear to think I wanted them for growing illegal substances! Most of them assure you that they send out their stuff in plain packaging & I also got a couple of links to cannabis growing.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 30th July 2014, 4:17 pm

Thank you Chilli Head for your timely advice re cucumber feeding. After getting 3 really great cucs the rest were all going yellow & dropping off at about 15mm, as happens every year. I then noticed that the main stem was starting to rot so I cut it off below the rotting part & started feeding the plant with high nitrogen fertiliser. It now has 3 very strong growing shoots, nice & green with a total so far of about 8 fruits forming & not going the slightest bit yellow.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th July 2014, 4:25 pm

I'm glad it worked for you. I do sometimes get those odd stem rots, often seem to be triggered by an abortive fruit starting to rot back. I normally dust with sulphur if I can catch it early, or cut off the affected bits if I notice it too late.

I'm giving my cucumbers a scattering of chicken manure pellets. Good job the greenhouse door can stay open !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th January 2015, 7:54 pm

Today I was back in the greenhouse for the big annual clean up.  This involves:

Taking out and cleaning the staging
Emptying and cleaning the black tank I keep under the bench as a combined water butt and thermal store.
Removing all the sand from the large tray on which I grow the tomatoes by ring culture - I'll redo this with clean sand when I need it in March.
Cleaning the glass, inside and out.
Scrubbing out the electric propagators and seed trays.
Putting everything back again !

Now I am almost ready to start the new growing season.  Just need to mix up some seed compost, then it will be time for sowing tomatoes, peppers and leeks-  usually I start early Feb happydance
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th January 2015, 8:58 pm

Yesterday when it was sunny but very cold, I had one of those cold weather sick headaches, so didn't get much of anything done. But this afternoon I sat in the shed and sieved compost and topsoil for potting up, and found the coir compost I had bought last year, so now I'm ready for the sowing season...just in time for a very cold and possibly snowy forecast in the week to come! So maybe no early sowings this year.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11