A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by freebird Today at 11:33 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

» Quilting
by Chilli-head 18th July 2017, 11:58 am

» The Polytunnel
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 10:34 pm

» Host an Image wants a password
by Chilli-head 14th July 2017, 2:14 pm

» Drawings
by Dandelion 13th July 2017, 10:09 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 2nd July 2017, 10:15 pm

» Heat in the June garden
by Ploshkin 30th June 2017, 10:56 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by FloBear 29th June 2017, 9:10 am

» What are you preserving today?
by FloBear 27th June 2017, 8:19 pm

» What are you reading now?
by Dandelion 18th June 2017, 7:41 pm

» Bees Behaving Badly
by Dandelion 2nd June 2017, 5:52 pm

» Compost - question and answer thread
by FloBear 1st June 2017, 9:40 am

» The May garden - catch up time !
by Dandelion 30th May 2017, 11:18 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 4:01 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 30th May 2017, 3:51 pm

» National Mills weekend
by Chilli-head 9th May 2017, 10:33 am

» April - busiest month of the gardeners year ?
by freebird 29th April 2017, 5:34 pm

Statistics
We have 630 registered users
The newest registered user is BrendaP

Our users have posted a total of 44462 messages in 2310 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

Wildlife Ponds (No Fish Or Ducks Allowed)...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Wildlife Ponds (No Fish Or Ducks Allowed)...

Post by Sparhawk on 26th February 2010, 10:06 pm

As people may or may not know I have had a fair bit to with wildlife ponds over the last few years thanks to offering to help reclaim that pond at the Young Squire & Flutes' primary school that first weekend there was a rush of interest (about 15 people & kids) but over the months that quickly dwindled to, well, me & the young squire. Time moved on & it was time for the children to move schools & we were offered a key ........ 5 years ago...

We have spent quite a bit of time up there over the years including some days with Pol... The school has been assesed 3 times for the eco schools green flag award, each time receiving special praise for the pond/wildlife area which has now become home to a fantastic range of wild creatures & plants, some of which are rare & exciting for the children to be able to see. Through this the young squire was invited to attend training on the local pond wardens course as long as he took me because they don't take children, he was 10 & I was the next youngest there were 20+ others on the course & he was treated as an equal but made the first & so far only honarary member of the pond warden scheme (need the proud emoticon again...)

Although last year our work was curtailed somewhat due to my other problems, we did manage to put a wildlife pond in at home...

Anyway I thought I would start a thread about wildlife ponds, (sorry no fish or ducks allowed),
I hope people don't mind, as they are a really important habitat, can be so much fun, & can be beneficial in so many ways...

Please tell us all about yours...

Last edited by sparhawk on 26th February 2010, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard (1922)

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica,
leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

default Re: Wildlife Ponds (No Fish Or Ducks Allowed)...

Post by Sparhawk on 26th February 2010, 10:16 pm

Today I removed a lot of the leaves & dead bits that have blown into the pond over winter,
cut off the dead bits of flag iris & taken out some of the weed, this has all been left on the side of the pond so that the small creatures can go back in, some people then put this in their compost bin but personally I have had a bad experience doing this a few years ago & had a very invasive pond weed (parrot feather Evil or Very Mad) contaminate the compost bin where it is surviving to this day rendering the compost unusable although it is a nice contained habitat pile...

Today I was closely supervised by a magnificent toad...

I hope to have some pictures of the ponds posted soon...

................................................................................................................................
"the luxuries of civilisation satisfy only those wants which they themselves create..."

leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet known as Earth."
Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 26th February 2010, 10:36 pm

I've got a wildlife pond in my garden. Had it for almost 10 years now.
I needs a bit of a clear out as the flag irises have spread a bit too much but I'm wary of disturbing any frogs and beasties.

Today I saw the first bit of froggy action this year so will be checking regularly for frog spawn
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 26th February 2010, 10:43 pm

AngelinaJellyBeana wrote:I've got a wildlife pond in my garden. Had it for almost 10 years now.
I needs a bit of a clear out as the flag irises have spread a bit too much but I'm wary of disturbing any frogs and beasties.

At this time of year little & often is the way, but I would stop when you see spawn until the tadpoles have gone...

AngelinaJellyBeana wrote:Today I saw the first bit of froggy action this year so will be checking regularly for frog spawn

:bigclap:

Somebody has told me that there was spawn in Helston a couple of weeks ago...

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 26th February 2010, 11:25 pm

We have a lovely pond ( well pool really) which is home to a huge number of species and is a wwonderful place to sit and watch.

I did a full survey a few years back and will dig it out, and you have reminded me its time to do another one...

Our record for a toad frenzy on the drive was 127 toads...most of them in one huddle.....!!!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 12:30 am

& that reminds me too, there's some sort of national survey going on soon, like the birdwatch one I think, I read about it in my gardening mag this week, I'll scratch around for it & if it is of any worth out a post on...

Last edited by sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 12:36 am

I keep being asked if the local Reptile and Amphibian group can come and have a look, so I must get around to inviting them.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 12:36 am

Which gardening mag, Spar?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 12:47 am

Compostwoman wrote:Which gardening mag, Spar?

Errrr, think it must be the March edition of GYO...

I'm sure the group could "help" with the survey, to make life easier for you of course... Wink

Last edited by sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 12:49 am

I only get it if I am in it! ( and therefore it is free.... )

or it has some good seeds on it...

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 11:19 am

sparhawk wrote:
Compostwoman wrote:Which gardening mag, Spar?

Errrr, think it must be the March edition of GYO...

I'm sure the group could "help" with the survey, to make life easier for you of course... Wink

That IS a good idea ...why didn't I think of that?

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th February 2010, 1:53 pm

We have a tiny wildlife pond in the back garden we dug to celebrate our silver wedding a few years back - the snow and ice had only just melted last week when I saw frog activity going on: whoo hoo! We have a difference of opinion as the oldest seedling doesn't like frogs - her reaction to seeing all the spawn in the pond last year was 'what's next? hail and boils?'
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 27th February 2010, 1:59 pm

I'm a little confused by the "no fish or ducks".

What size "ponds" are we talking about? Around here doesn't have to be more than a couple hundred square meters and bound to have ducks and geese find it and even if no fish going to be frogs so visits by the herons.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 2:48 pm

Over here a lot of people have small ponds just for carp, Mike...and ditto ponds mainly aimed to keep ducks on.

I think Spar was meaning this thread to be about more "natural", wildlife oriented ponds...even though, of course, such ponds/pools may well also have fish and ducks in/on them...our pool has!

But not as the main purpose of the pool.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th February 2010, 4:04 pm

Our pond is so small that with a good run-up, you could jump over it in either direction! Despite the size, we have a thriving frog community, beautiful water snails and newts
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 5:38 pm

The ponds I have been working on are up to about 10 meters one end to the other, & have been set up or naturally occur for frogs, toads, & newts etc as opposed to the duck ponds & fish ponds where there is less chance of the "pond" wildlife surviving...

I do realise that wild ducks, geese & fish go wherever they want to, the sort of pond I am aiming at is the back garden, sorry you still have yards don't you, ponds over there on the other side of ..... the pond... they are probably refered to as puddles in the lands of bigger... Laughing

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 27th February 2010, 5:51 pm

Dandelion wrote:Our pond is so small that with a good run-up, you could jump over it in either direction! Despite the size, we have a thriving frog community, beautiful water snails and newts

Even the smallest ponds attract wildlife, on our course we were told about a perfectly viable one that was made from an old kitchen sink, although we didn't see any pictures...

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th February 2010, 6:43 pm

I have made several kitcn sink types which work very well as wildlife attractors, also sunken baby baths work too!

Often a small pond (pondlet?) is better as it is less likely to be taken over by ducks, canada geese etc...we had a major problem 3 years running because of a pair of geese which churned up the mud so much the other pond life dropped dramatically.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 27th February 2010, 10:30 pm

Having been over the other side of the pond, I can say that when we say pond our cousins say puddle & when we say lake they say pond.

Garden ponds over here rarely attract ducks or geese etc, but people are inclined to put in fish & imported weed which does indigenous wildlife little good.
Farm ponds are more likly to be larger & often naturaly occurring, so often have ducks, but unless they have a stream feed rarely fish.
A wildlife pond of any size in the UK is usually left to stock intself,
Better stop or Sparhawk will tell me off.
Pol :sunny:
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 28th February 2010, 12:47 am

Ladies,

Thank you... (Insert smiley here)

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 1st March 2010, 9:02 am

Yes it was GYO CW, which has a brilliant feature on building a wildlife pond too...

The linky fOr the survey is: pondconservation.org.uk/bigponddip & takes place in May

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 17th March 2010, 8:23 pm

BALLS!!!

Its the other type of balls at this time of year, tennis balls in the winter for icyness, barley straw ones this time of year for the coming blanket weed...

Use an old pair of tights or a fruit or veg net, stuff with barley straw sink it in the pond & then after about 6 weeks it starts breaking down & releasing stuff to keep blanket weed down so doing it now would mean it starts working about May time.

Some of the stuff in garden centres that costs an awful lot of money for clearing ponds is only barley straw "juice". We got our barley straw for £1 from the pets section in one of the local pound shops, & it has lasted ages. We prefer to use nets as they then become nice habitats for some of the smaller creatures...

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 17th March 2010, 9:09 pm

Right, that's on my 'to do' list (if there's room for the barley ball between all the writhing frogs, that is!)
:face:
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 17th March 2010, 9:18 pm

Have never had an issue with any kind of blanket weed...

only the blasted Ludwigia Peploides...which is a curse and a sodding problem......

it wrecks rice paddies apparently..but was introduced by the previous owners as a " pond plant" Grrr..f***ing invasive weed...

sends out runners all year round, explosive seed pods from June until Oct AND can reproduce from bits of stem at any time...

DO NOT GET ANY!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk on 17th March 2010, 9:19 pm

Dandelion wrote:Right, that's on my 'to do' list (if there's room for the barley ball between all the writhing frogs, that is!)
:face:

Ah, frogsporn... :cheers:

Sparhawk
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top