A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have you done in the flower garden today? Hca_button

What have you done in the flower garden today?

+11
mr_sfstk8d
Hathorite
Lottie
Jaded Green
Bagpuss
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
polgara
Dandelion
MrsC
Compostwoman
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What have you done in the flower garden today? Empty What have you done in the flower garden today?

Post by Compostwoman 21st March 2010, 8:33 pm

Same idea as the other threads! tell us what you have been doing.... What have you done in the flower garden today? Icon_biggrin

I raked out a load of thatch from the ground around
the pool...should have been doing it every year but we run out of time,
usually....but hopefully the primroses and wild daffs will get a bit of air around them this year

Cleared several more flower/shrub beds of dead stuff....and forked over
the soil

Planted up trays of flower seeds for cuting or drying later in the year.

Worked out where I was going to scatter various annula seeds in drifts in the various beds...Love in a mist, flax, marigolds, nasturtiums etc etc ..

Planted up some lavender cuttings and some rosemary cuttings.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the flower garden today? Empty Re: What have you done in the flower garden today?

Post by Guest 21st March 2010, 10:16 pm

Looked at the flowerbeds....start clearing them on Tuesday. Still haven't finished rich composting around the roses yet and they are all sprouting like nuts.

Back to top Go down

What have you done in the flower garden today? Empty Re: What have you done in the flower garden today?

Post by MrsC 22nd March 2010, 7:45 am

Hmmm - I think step one for us is going to be creating some flower beds. Another job to be added to the end of Mr C's (rather long) to do list!

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd March 2010, 10:35 am

Looked at the seed packets, visualised the flowers, then visualised them hanging out of the chickens' beaks. High time we got the 'chicken proof fence' out of its box in the shed.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 22nd March 2010, 3:38 pm

Just remember things like beetroot & carrot look good in a flower bed
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd March 2010, 7:00 pm

Dandelion wrote:Looked at the seed packets, visualised the flowers, then visualised them hanging out of the chickens' beaks. High time we got the 'chicken proof fence' out of its box in the shed.

Hmmm the chickens worked out that linseed was good to eat last year and it was wonderful to see them eyeing up the poppy heads, although they never got them. We have one definate flower eater out of 6 including rose petals (she is called Pepper!)

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 27th March 2010, 4:23 pm

Today I planted my sprouting sweet peas in handmade newspaper tubes. OH has
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th March 2010, 5:28 pm

I used to have a load of naturalised geraniums of all different sorts in my flower beds..I don't do annuals so all the beds have perennials in, and geraniums are my favourite...

well one hen likes them...and has taught the rest to like them as well.....grrrrrr
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 27th March 2010, 5:30 pm

Have just come in from garden, did battle with the mad rose that climbs along a bit of our fence & I think I actually won this year, trimmed loads of with very few scratches...

Managed to take about a foot in length from the hedge too & put in a couple of hawthorn plants so that the hedge becomes a little more wildlife friendly...
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th March 2010, 9:48 pm

Went to a garden centre...does that count!??
This is the one time I venture in as you can get the small starting out pots at a reasonable price. Managed to keep to 10...but then saw two clematus that I realy wanted...oh dear budget blown!

Looking forward to planting them... What have you done in the flower garden today? 260653

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th March 2010, 10:29 pm

I went the garden centre too - something I noticed was that they are selling compressed peat pots for starting plants off in without the word 'peat' on them. Very clever, and quite deceptive - this seems typical of the world of spin we live in. (It's probably OK because the packaging didn't claim that they were peat free - it just didn't give any information at all about what they were made of.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 27th March 2010, 10:50 pm

which garden centre did you go to Dandelion?

I planted some flowers for drying...helichrism, statice, stuff like that today..
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 28th March 2010, 8:11 am

I've been battling with a hooooge pampas grass. Ideally I'd like to get rid of it but it's so big. I've been raking out all the dead stuff and will get the strimmer to it. Someone I used to know used to stuff the middle with newspaper and set it alight :affraid: but this is a bit too close to the fence and house, so I won't be doing that.

Any ideas anyone???
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th March 2010, 5:55 pm

CW - I went to St Peter's in Worcester which is a good afternoon out (the cakes in the cafe are exceptionally squidgy!). The peat pots were Jiffy ones, so presumably sold everywhere - when I was a young stripling and worked in a Gloucestershire garden centre, they were labelled 'peat pots', but this seems to have been conventiently omitted now!
Have cleared a bit of the chicken devastation - i'm thinking flag irises in beautiful plums purples and browns, with more spring bulbs planted around them in the autumn.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 28th March 2010, 9:02 pm

I know a freecycler who has yellow flag iris going spare, if you are willing to don a pair of wellies...just up by me...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th March 2010, 9:13 pm

That's really kind - I've got yellow by the pond though, so I'll put it on my shopping list when the man in the market is there. Have to get the chicken-proof fence up first though!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th March 2010, 12:55 pm

Afterthought - I think I meant bearded irises - the really big ones. Embarassed
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th March 2010, 1:03 pm

I think I must have not "sent" this post this morning..oh dear..

Well I was wondering if anyone had tried training their chickens not to demolish their beds? We have loads of beds and the chickens have learnt by me training them....

Last edited by Zoe on 29th March 2010, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th March 2010, 1:04 pm

I had a lovely afternoon yesterday pulling up bluebells, which dug up really easily because the soil was so wet, and then I sat under our tree on a tree stump, with a big lump of wood to crush the bluebell bulbs before I composted them. (Not native bluebells I hasten to add!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th March 2010, 1:15 pm

Zoe wrote:I think I must have not "sent" this post this morning..oh dear..

Well I was wondering if anyone had tried training their chickens not to demolish their beds? We have loads of beds and the chickens have learnt by me training them....

How did you train them? I would be very interested!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 29th March 2010, 2:45 pm

Oh Dandelion I nearly got really upset then. But as long as they were the foreign typr of interlopers I will let you off. A bluebell wood is one of my favourite places, & I have blue bells all over my little garden.
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th March 2010, 7:20 pm

At last moved the hollihocks and lupins that I grew from seed last year into the "English Country Garden" bed....now have more space for melons and tomatoes in the veg plot!

Dandelion...I'll do a thread under the Coop called "training your chickens to be garden friendly" or something, as it won't fit here when everyone starts commenting. What have you done in the flower garden today? Icon_bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 29th March 2010, 7:52 pm

polgara wrote:Oh Dandelion I nearly got really upset then. But as long as they were the foreign typr of interlopers I will let you off. A bluebell wood is one of my favourite places, & I have blue bells all over my little garden.
Pol
Don't worry, Pol - English Bluebells would have been safe with me. The spanish ones which I'm eliminating were one of the less welcome things we inherited when we bought the house. Another thing was four inch screws through Edwardian sash windows to stop them opening as a 'security measure', but that's another thing.... Rolling Eyes
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 28th April 2010, 1:40 pm

Just noticed the aquilega have buds & the nasturtions are on the way up, lots of muscari, tulips, anemones and the bluebells have loads of flower spikes,

Pansys that were in the winter baskets & froze solid are looking really wonderful now.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th April 2010, 5:53 pm

Yes, I've noticed that the pansies I planted in pots for over-wintering have come back with a vengeance, and are flowering their little hearts out. All kinds of purples and maroons, really heart lifting.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next