A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 Hca_button

What makes a good tomato ?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What makes a good tomato ?

Post by Compostwoman 9th June 2010, 4:26 pm

Just had a look and yes the Yellow Perfection is a close second..oooh a race!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 10th June 2010, 5:28 pm

I lost a couple of tomato plants (out of 70) so I put a few side shoots off healthy plants into a seed tray that was supposed to be chives (but only a few had germinated). Literally just pushed them in. They grow very strongly, very quickly and I have transplanted them out. They have excellent roots.
I think I might try again later in the year to get some late croppers. Anyone else tried this?
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 10th June 2010, 7:04 pm

I do it with all thetime at this time of the year, especially strong, low down shoots which I find seem to root the fastest...sometimes they have air roots so really get going quickly.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th June 2010, 9:00 pm

At last, first fully ripe tomato eaten yesterday. In the end, it was a Franchi Red Pear. Very nice it was too What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Must remember to grow an earlier variety next year.

First Chillies also eaten tonight; Hungarian Wax, barbecued with Halloumi. They were grown from my own saved seed, and seem very variable in heat, from really rather mild to lip-searingly hot What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 Icon_lol I wonder if some cross pollination went on ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 6th July 2010, 5:30 pm

A clear out in the greenhouse yesterday, can move a bit noe. Found several pots that were hidden.

At last a pot of carrots that are actually growing, plus a pot of something that says beetroot but does not look like it, so wait & see time.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th July 2010, 11:33 am

Just munching on a St Pierre I picked this morning. It does deserve its reputation for good flavour (I seem to remember Raymond Blanc favours them).

Anyway, I've now done some taste testing in my New Horizons <-> Homemade compost trial (of the tomatoes grown in it, not the compost ...), and I have to say I cannot discern any consistent difference. The homemade mix was 1 part 'vermiperl' to 3 of compost, with some seaweed meal added. It does seem to retain water a little better. So, a good enough result from the homemade to be worth repeating. If I can make enough compost ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 9th July 2010, 11:48 am

Sounds interesting chilli-head, but what exactly is "vermiperl". What is it made of? Is it fabricated?
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th July 2010, 12:16 pm

Hmm. Vermiperl is a horticultural vermiculite/perlite type material, i.e. mica or volcanic rock exfoilated by heating to 900C. Probably not exactly green, but holds water and opens up a compost nicely.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 9th July 2010, 12:51 pm

What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 142796 for compostpower What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 384616
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 13th July 2010, 2:02 pm

OK Chilli-head...if the added (bought?) vermi/perl is acting like perlite it is allowing water and air to penetrate the soil because it is hollow. If it is retaining the water longer it suggests the water is stored in the perlite...do you think so? So you could try ground stock brick in another experiment...should still be free in your area!! Or have they shut down all the brick works.

Another thought is that if the water is stored in the perlite is being held back by the perlite from the plant. So you could try the classic equal mix of sharp sand, compost high in organic matter and good loam and put limestone lumps on top to retain the moisture by reducing evaporation. The limestone will also provide the calcium.

Also another trial would be to increase the organic matter in the compost mix the to see if that increase the water retention.... Very Happy
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th July 2010, 3:00 pm

I grow straight into my home produced compost, with about 3 inches of soil in the very top of the bucket ( I use builders buckets with holes in as a pot, and stand them in gravel trays, 3 to a tray, on the PT floor)

I find this works very well, and back to back trials a few years back showed my growing medium produced better growth, better, tastier tomatoes, bigger yields and they needed less water than the bought in growing mediums one. All else was equal, identical seeds, planted same time, same conditions etc.

But then I do produce a lot of home made compost.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th July 2010, 5:23 pm

Zoe wrote:OK Chilli-head...if the added (bought?) vermi/perl is acting like perlite it is allowing water and air to penetrate the soil because it is hollow.

Exactly so. The vermiperl is (was ?) a Sinclair product. My mix is as the manufacturers recommend. The vermiperl holds up to 1/3 its volume of water, and retains nutrients with it, so the compost takes longer to dry out. Mine was acquired as surplus in professional horticultural sized bags, so it actually also serves as a bulking agent for my limited supplies of compost - I have only 3 x 1m3 bins, so cannot make compost on CW's scales !

The brickworks around here are now silent. Hanson could not get the SO2 levels down to EU requirements. We now have the threat of a Covanta "Energy from waste" plant, AKA incinerator+greenwash, in their place What makes a good tomato ? - Page 2 Icon_cry
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th July 2010, 6:03 pm

Tough luck on the "EfW" plant yes AKA incinerator +greenwash +dioxins, PM10's etc etc ....

Any Great crested newts on the site? they usually LOVE brickworks...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe 28th September 2010, 6:50 pm

I had no blossom end rot on the plants in the greenhouse at all. And I haven't changed my inconsistent watering habits - not helped by the temperature can easily go about the 50degC limit of the thermometer.

What I did and will do now - always - is put limestone rocks on top of the soil so they added lime each watering.
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2