A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» What are you harvesting today?
by FloBear Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» Seed Banks and reliable suppliers
by Chilli-head 19th November 2017, 9:05 pm

» No-dig gardening & weed control
by freebird 17th November 2017, 5:10 pm

» Homemade onion sets
by freebird 17th November 2017, 7:50 am

» Autumn sowing in the November Garden
by Chilli-head 8th November 2017, 12:10 pm

» What arts and craft things have you been making lately?
by FloBear 6th November 2017, 7:11 pm

» New arrivals
by FloBear 5th November 2017, 4:26 pm

» Wrapping up in the October garden
by freebird 30th October 2017, 12:41 pm

» Excellent publication
by Dandelion 18th October 2017, 5:07 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Chilli-head 15th October 2017, 8:46 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by freebird 15th October 2017, 8:08 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by freebird 7th October 2017, 12:58 pm

» Greek village bread
by Chilli-head 5th October 2017, 1:57 pm

» Passata machine
by Ploshkin 4th October 2017, 12:21 pm

» Bad press for woodburners
by freebird 29th September 2017, 7:20 pm

» Reflections on the seaon 2017
by freebird 28th September 2017, 9:35 pm

» The September garden
by FloBear 21st September 2017, 8:59 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

Statistics
We have 634 registered users
The newest registered user is mailedusentials

Our users have posted a total of 44875 messages in 2331 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What are you harvesting today?

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Hathorite on 27th September 2010, 7:55 pm

I've only two leeks left from the ones I grew this year, I was really impressed with their progress as I NEVER seem to get leeks to grow.

Chard, as ever. And preparing the bed for November planting of broad beans and early peas.

Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th September 2010, 8:01 pm

Forgot the chard. and carrots.

and apples.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 27th September 2010, 8:53 pm

Silver beet (from New Zealand) - at last I have cheated the chickens, because this is the plant they lunge at if they get out of their side of the garden. Enough of it has grown to use in a pork and noodle gratin, and very nice it was too!!

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 27th September 2010, 9:04 pm

I actually grow extra to feed the hens as they love it so much!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28th September 2010, 6:40 pm

Just harvested the late seeding of french beans. Really sweet and a nice treat! I had to water them a lot to get them through the dry months.

Zwetschgen plums at last ended. Last of the grapes to press then it over to apples!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizbuff13 on 29th September 2010, 3:39 pm

Hundreds of pounds of tomatoes.....

I have been picking and washing and sorting and canning and today will be more of the same.

Spaghetti Sauce/14qts
Tomato Sauce 22 pints

Today, more sauce and whole romas w/ sauce

More picking today.

This isn't even counting the gallons of tomato juice my mother already made.

Oh...BTW....this was a very bad tomato year for us also!

Need to find some time to put away some of the Rhubarb and Zucchini for bread!

Glad I planned my vacation around fall canning time!

................................................................................................................................
Please when voting with your dollars be mindful and reduce buying plastic as much as possible, for it is trashing our planet and always consider this: If not Locally Produced, then Organic, If not Organic, then Family Farm. If not Family Farm, then Local Business. If not Local Business, then Fair Trade.
Lizbuff13

http://www.sparkleberrieplace.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 29th September 2010, 4:10 pm

Figs, figs, and more figs, as I don't want them to go to waste, I know what a precious commodity they are around some parts!
They are not even mine, but from the neighbour's overhanging branches.
I have now stopped making Hot and Spicy Fig Chutney which I am giving as presents, especially for those who live a long way away from fruiting fig trees Smile
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 29th September 2010, 5:56 pm

Still picking autumn raspberries - not loads, but enough to add to fruit salads and put on meringues. When little sister was with us in the summer, the raspberries were one thing she really enjoyed. She said that Australia is too warm for raspberries, and they don't transport well to import.

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoopka on 30th September 2010, 1:30 pm

Miam miam raspberries.... Pavlova.....miam miam.... raspberry jam....
Snoopka

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 4th October 2010, 10:26 am

Picked some more runners, they have been fab this season...some more toms, gave hubs a tabasco chilli to taste to see how hot it was, he's still running round the garden screaming.... and dug up some kohl rabi, my new favourite veg.. til the sprouts are ready, I am fickle.. Very Happy Laughing

http://www.lilypads.biz/
Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 11th October 2010, 6:32 pm

More runners.... Shocked and I culdn't resist... I pulled some parsnips.... Embarassed I know it was early but I had another yen.... Very Happy for curried parsnip soup. Also cut some more lettuce, and a few carrots Very Happy

Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike on 15th October 2010, 1:56 am

The squash are in. With the disaster* in the spring didn't have nearly as many varieities and of those we ended up with from plants bought (locally) instead of raised from seed. We will be keeping seed from the summer squash (a straightneck that has the eating quality of crookneck) and the winter squash too becuase we have never had a yield of butternut like this year.

At the moment we have stacked up trays with two dozen of them under the kitchen table. Say about 100# of them. We had more than that but have given five to a neighbor. OK, a few are smallish like we are used to growing but most are about as big as you see butternut get.

* Our grandson who was house/dog sitting while we were off being caretakers at Upper Goose Pond Cabin was supposed to water them if it didn't rain. That's actual rain at our house, not depend on weather reports and whether a shower hit the town he happened to be in at the time 20 miles away. So we lost just about everything.

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 15th October 2010, 1:58 pm

Squash. Lots .here as well.

Chicago Warted Hubbard, Lady Godiva ( which has naked seeds!) Tom Fox, Jack o lantern and a few Turks Turban.

Also a few smaller ones which I cannot find the seed packet for but are vaguely patty pan shaped.

Apples. Apples. Apples.

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13th December 2010, 6:02 pm

Frozen savoy cabbage.

A definate advantage in growing your own. I would have thought the cabbages in the fields are all affected by snow and frost. You can't put a frozen cabbage through the retail chain but you can use it from your garden!

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 9th January 2011, 5:32 pm

Leeks and parsnips finally.

We ran out of the harvested ones and the ground was too frozen to dig any up until this week!

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite on 9th January 2011, 5:38 pm

The chard is still going strong, bless it! I pulled some of the frosted chicory heads which were very nice - I like chicory when winter has mellowed the stuff, it wasn't half as nice in august. Last of the leeks have been pulled as well. Sage going very strong and I pull loads off as and when needed.
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 9th January 2011, 6:00 pm

I picked another load of sprouts, and 5 snarpips for a roast, plus assorted herbs, well chuffed... Very Happy

Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 12th April 2011, 9:10 pm

Asparagus is up - third lot eaten yesterday. Mine seems to be a very early variety, so we're usually bored of it by the time it's in the shops and restaurants.
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie on 13th April 2011, 6:41 am

Oh I love asparagus...*sigh* not enough room at the mo though, gonna get Ol to build me another bed, I think... shhhh don't tell him yet he's still soundo... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Well I picked loadsa rhubarb and started off me wine Very Happy

Lottie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head on 18th April 2011, 11:02 am

You can get a useful amount of asparagus from a lot less space than is conventionally assumed. I have just a few crowns squeezed in by a compost heap; I can have enough spears for a starter or acompaniment every few days. It does produce really thick spears, and grows to about 6 feet high or more - partly the variety (it would be helpful if I could remember which it was, wouldn't it ?) and partly because it gets the leachate from the compost heap !
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman on 18th April 2011, 1:43 pm

Lots of Leeks, herbs, salads, Kale, and Broad Bean tops from the ones in the Polytunnel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/may/12/foodanddrink.shopping5

Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 18th April 2011, 3:15 pm

The onions that I planted in the late Autumn & left to overwinter in the cold greenhouse. I put them out into the garden when the weather warmed up a bit & I needed the room in the greenhouse. They have grown up quite nicely, not bulbed up But like hugh spring onions, just right & easy for salads & sandwhiches. Well pleased, will probably do the same next year.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 19th April 2011, 8:16 am

Rhubarb Laughing lots of the lovely stuff (rhubarb and polenta cake to be baked tonight)

oh and don't mention asparagus, mine was coming up nicely and one day last week the chickens had managed to get out of the run (my fault, hadn't tied the door up properly the night before) and by the time I'd got home from work they'd had a lovely time scratching up the asparagus, the newly planted lupins and one of my prized hardy geraniums Evil or Very Mad
why they couldn't go and scratch up the weeds I really don't know!!!!!!!
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 19th April 2011, 10:09 am

Oh no - your poor asparagus (that really hurts.) I have a lot of hardy geranium seedlings coming up in assorted places - available if you want any (probably not as prized as yours, but still a hardy geranium is a hardy geranium!)

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana on 20th April 2011, 8:02 am

Thanks for the seedling offer, Dandelion, but ohhh wash your mouth out, "a hardy geranium is a hardy geranium!"!!!!! Shocked Laughing
you'd be surprised, there are lots of lovely and unusual ones around, not just the common pink one that takes over everything (my least fave).
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by frankbeswick on 20th April 2011, 10:35 am

Rhubabrb and chives, at the moment. The main sort of rhubarb sold round here is Timperley Early, which is ready now. This is not surprising as Timperley is about three miles away.
frankbeswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top