A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 17 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 7th September 2013, 9:09 pm

Lots of stuff to get in today. I spent the morning digging potatoes, then in the afternooon went back to pick some other stuff - cucumbers, beetroot, peas, sweetcorn, calabrese, raspberries, and peppers and chilles from the greenhouse. Just got to work out what to do with it all now !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 17 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 8th September 2013, 1:39 pm

Quite a lot of tomatoes - Auntie Madge's, Black Russian, and some cherry tomatoes which are supposed to be Yellow Stuffers but aren't...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th September 2013, 7:23 pm

Ahh Dendelion, have you got a bottle of sherry stashed in the garden too ?  Still not figured out what happened with my chillies.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th September 2013, 10:15 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking yesterday that if I was in the habit of keeping sherry in my shed it would be undrinkable after the hot summer we've had!!
The tomatoes came from a colleague at school - I'm putting it down the pressure of wirk!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th September 2013, 9:20 am

Non Sungold tomatoes are finally ripening -Belle (F1)  Black Cherry Purple Ukraine & Amish Salad.  Unfortunately my tomatoes never have much flavour apart from Sungold which is always fantastic.   It's due, I think, to insufficient sun as we are down in a hollow surrounded by tall trees & miss out on early morning & late evening sun.  I've tried countless varieties over the years, including ones bred from Sungold.  I was hopeful for the black cherry, they've got more flavour than most but not as much as I'm sure they should have.  I'm going to push for the excavations for a polytunnel this winter, I've identified a nice spot in full sun in a field behind the sheep shed & next to the muck heap so there's a ready supply of water & fertiliser.  If I can't grow flavoursome toms there then I'll just give up.

Had another big bowlful of strawberries from the gh.  Pretty much the last picking though there are still a few left ripening. They've been one of my best things this year.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th September 2013, 4:58 pm

Ploshkin wrote:Non Sungold tomatoes are finally ripening -Belle (F1)  Black Cherry Purple Ukraine & Amish Salad.  

I tried Amish Gold last year, but had no success at all - I don't know if it was down to no pollinators because of the lack of sun, but I had no tomatoes forming at all. I noticed this year that Yellow Brandywine was also not prolific (I think it's a similar tomato type to Amish Gold) - the flowers just dropped off the plant and left bare stalks except for a couple of fruits on each plant (one indoors and one outdoors, but no difference in productivity) Haven't grown many beefsteak toms before - is this lack of pollination a typical issue? It didn't happen with any of the other varieties I grew in either year.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th September 2013, 7:59 pm

Amish salad are a small - medium sized pink skinned tom. The plants seemed to have an odd growth habit, quite stunted & they suffered horrendously from leaf curl. I've got a good crop though as always not a lot of flavour. I don't grow beefsteak varieties but Belle are pretty huge. All my toms are grown in the greenhouse & I've never had any pollination issues with any variety.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th September 2013, 8:27 pm

I tried that purple Ukranian one year (FIL is Ukranian !) It had a thin skin, prone to splititng and a bit bland. I have found some French varieties to be best for flavour - Royale des Guineaux usually comes out tops in my taste tests. Lots of sun and not too much water seem to be important too though.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 16th September 2013, 6:21 pm

We are picking up lots of windfalls. so far I've daelt with some from our garden, my parents' garden and their next door neighbours. More apple for supper tonight
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 16th September 2013, 11:51 pm

Picked lots of chillies today, though I'm staggered to find that those barsteward snails eat them! Quite a few of the fruits were missing a large chunk at the stalk end. Also harvested more courgettes, a handful of autumn raspberries, runner beans, tomatoes and some lovely eating apples from a very old tree. Reckon it was planted in the 40s/50s and the RHS identified it as a popular variety of the time called Maidstone Favourite. It doesn't keep at all, not even for a few days, but it is utterly delicious.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th September 2013, 9:27 pm

that sounds fab, CH. (Am intrigued to know what happens to Maidstone favourite after a few days...)
And from the same county, we had apple sauce with our pork tonight made from Beauty of Kent which grows in our garden
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th September 2013, 10:51 am

Oh, I do so miss tasty apples. I've almost given up buying apples because they're always the same old varieties & just tasteless. I've not had any success growing here. Somebody gave me a bag of Beauty of Bath the other day but unfortunately had picked them too soon & they're very sharp. I can't remember whether or not apples ripen off the tree.

I picked my first Uchiki Kuri squash & used it in soup with some toms. It was just a small one & had gone quite a dark orange colour. They're not completely ripe yet & I'm intending to leave them until the first frost but couldn't resist a try. I roasted it first & liked the texture. I think they should get sweeter the longer they're left to ripen.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th September 2013, 7:51 pm

Are Beauty of Bath the apples which have a pinkish tinge to the flesh? You should be OK ripening them off the tree - we have ripened up apples when they have blown off the tree before they were really ready.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 20th September 2013, 4:54 pm

I picked off and froze the last of my sweetcorn yesterday.  Quite a nice yield in the end (it was Lark).  Some quite nice raspberries polka on now too.

I unoffically harvested the odd Cox apple today (Embarassed ) - still not quite ready ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd September 2013, 2:25 pm

I have a sad story.

A few years ago I planted a pear tree - it's a family tree, and has a Williams and a Conference grafted on to the same stock. This is the first year it has fruited. It has four pears: I have been regularly assessing the pears to check for ripeness, and had decided that they were still much too hard to pick. Yesterday I went to look, and discovered that three of the pears had been blown off in the wind we had, and had been eaten by something! Sad Sad
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd September 2013, 5:29 pm

Oh no Dandelion, that is such a shame. I had my first plum tree crop this year - every fruit bar one was maggot ridden. Anyway, nurture that last pear and enjoy it when it's ready.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 22nd September 2013, 10:42 pm

Embarassed I did actually take drastic measures - I cleaned the nibbled pears well, cut out the chewed bits, peeled and ate the good bits. Sorry, I know it's probably not hygenic, but I waited a long time for those pears!
laugh 
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th September 2013, 1:34 pm

Dandelion wrote:Are Beauty of Bath the apples which have a pinkish tinge to the flesh? You should be OK ripening them off the tree - we have ripened up apples when they have blown off the tree before they were really ready.
Yes, they are & I'm pleased to say that they have ripened and are now just perfect - it's quite a big bag of them & I'm really enjoying them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th September 2013, 10:24 pm

Ploshkin wrote:
Dandelion wrote:Are Beauty of Bath the apples which have a pinkish tinge to the flesh? You should be OK ripening them off the tree - we have ripened up apples when they have blown off the tree before they were really ready.
Yes, they are & I'm pleased to say that they have ripened and are now just perfect - it's quite a big bag of them & I'm really enjoying them.
bouncing 
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th September 2013, 10:22 pm

Noticed that quite a few Spartan apples have fallen off the tree, so we picked them all this afternoon. For a tiny tree it produced a lot - five trays (the trays were rescued from school, from a storage unit, and are about 14"x12") The chickens were happy pottering about at our feet while we did the picking - we cut a few apples in half for them to peck.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 29th September 2013, 7:32 pm

apples - 18 pounds of them and there's still lots on the tree and lots of windfalls.

We're currently simmering chutney
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th September 2013, 2:03 pm

Where to start ? I went to the allotment on Saturday and picked of a really good quantity of flageolet type beans for drying. Whilst there I also harvested carrots, beetroot, a couple of pumpkins (before the low life steal them !), a cucumber, and some of the last bits of calabrese and a good picking of raspberries. From the garden, I've harvested my coriander for seed, which I've hung to dry in the shed, and apples for apple crumble (and nice it was too !) and french beans. On Sunday we went foraging and picked sloes and blackberries, which it will be my evening's work to make into something Very Happy 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th September 2013, 10:38 pm

Dandelion wrote:I have a sad story.

A few years ago I planted a pear tree - it's a family tree, and has a Williams and a Conference grafted on to the same stock. This is the first year it has fruited. It has four pears: I have been regularly assessing the pears to check for ripeness, and had decided that they were still much too hard to pick. Yesterday I went to look, and discovered that three of the pears had been blown off in the wind we had, and had been eaten by something! Sad Sad
Someone at school brought in a huge bag of pears last week, from a tree in their garden, and asked us to help ourselves. I ended up with far more pears than I'd lost!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 9th October 2013, 2:34 pm

As the weather is forecast to get much colder with possible frost I've harvested my squashes. I've managed 11 Uchiki Kuris off 2 plants - a couple of small ones but mostly about 8" diameter and 12 butternuts (Hawk) off 2 plants - the majority pretty small but a couple of decent size. I've done Hawk before & they have very small seed cavities so even the smallest fruits give a reasonable amount of flesh.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th October 2013, 10:19 am

Picked all the rest of my outdoor tomatoes yesterday, regardless of their ripeness. I think the plants are now succumbing to blight and the rapidly cooling weather. It's been my best outdoor tomato crop in several years, and I think growing blight resistant varieties may have helped.

Still picking a few tomatoes out the greenhouse, and chillies, and the peppers are ripening at last (those that have survived the snails). They are easily the best peppers I have ever grown - lovely chunky, thick-walled fruits.

And I'm still picking courgettes and a very few autumn raspberries.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 30th October 2013, 12:49 pm

Two courgettes! Also a few greenhouse tomatoes and peppers.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next