A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 20 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 8th July 2014, 10:14 am

Ah, I realised that I was going to have the same gherkin dilemma (I might have put them in the seed swap). The only thing I could think was to have a jar of stuff they are going to be pickled in & to drop them in a few at a time as & when they are ready. My Marguerite Patten pickling bible says to either salt or brine them first.

I dug my first Arran Pilots yesterday - always reliable here &don't disintegrate when cooked. I let them grow on quite big as I only do earlies.

Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 8th July 2014, 8:27 pm

Picked 1lb of gooseberries and made an almond and gooseberry cake - and very nice it was too, if I say it myself (though it took double the time to cook that the recipe suggested)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th July 2014, 9:43 pm

Dandelion wrote:Picked 1lb of gooseberries
Don't rub it in Dandelion!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th July 2014, 7:25 pm

Sorry Ploshkin... (but nothing else much in the garden apart from the peas seem to be doing anything. Friends at school are saying the same - no beans on the runners, no ripe tomatoes, no courgettes. You would think with the mild weather this year that everything would be very advanced, but it doesn't seem to be that way. Strange...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th July 2014, 3:34 pm

The tomatoes are just ripening in the shed - am lookinh forward to trying the Bloody Butcher (it's red!!!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th July 2014, 9:43 am

Chilli-head wrote:
I have my first gherkin from the seed swap - don't quite know how to use just the one gherkin - need a few more for a pickle.

The lone gherkin went into a salad - I had feared it might be bitter, being a pickling variety, but no, it tastes just like a regular cucumber.  Useful, because my greenhouse cucumbers seem to be having a rest now after producing a glut, and the Burpless tasty green at the allotment aren't producing yet.

It looks like I might get more gherkins soon to pickle - shame the dill got eaten really !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 15th July 2014, 11:44 am

I always have that problem with my greenhouse cucs CH. The first 4 or so are fantastic then everything above that just goes yellow while it is very tiny. I don't know if it is lack of pollination as they are in the GH (but that doesn't seem to be an issue with the first few). I've taken off anything going yellow & given the plant a good spray with Epsom Salts. There seem to be one or two higher up now staying green.
I am growing another odd variety called Dragon's Egg & the first one is just swelling nicely. It's a very pale green & a bit knobbly. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th July 2014, 12:07 pm

I read a useful article in Kitchen Garden magazine about growing cucumbers. I'm trying to recall what it said now; there were about 3 really useful tips, of which I can only really remember one. Which was to keep in mind that they are a squash, and thus need a lot of nitrogen, so won't do well on tomato fertiliser. Which, because they follow a similar watering regime, it is tempting to give them.

I think mine have suffered from erratic watering. As my main interest in the greenhouse are the tomatoes and chillies, I tend to be scant with the watering because I think overwatering spoils the flavour of the tomatoes and the heat of the chillies. Cucumbers do need to be moist though, and like a humid atmosphere. Or more to the point, the principal pest - red spider mite - likes it dry. Mrs C-H is on the other hand overly kindhearted, and this lead to them getting overwatered and sitting in a pool of water, which of course just washes the nutrients out of the compost.

Just remembered the other good tip - never let their growth be checked by becoming pot bound. IMHO this doesn't help anything much, but especially bad for cues.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 16th July 2014, 10:46 am

Thank you for that CH. I didn't know that cucs needed high nitrogen. I've always gone for the tomato fertiliser once they start fruiting (as is usually recommended.) Full of hope for some more fruit I've now noticed this morning that the main stem appears to be starting to rot about 18" up from the base. Funny thing about pot bound though. I've tried them in the past in big 25kg feed buckets without particular success & this year I have gone for much smaller pots (about 10") & the plants seem to be doing better.
I'm also trying a scant watering regime on the toms as mine are always lacking in flavour (apart from sungold) & I heard something on the radio about too much water causing that.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th July 2014, 10:06 am

6 mangetout!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th July 2014, 12:45 pm

I cooked an Indian inspired dinner last night; quite pleased with my homegrown ingredients.

Madhur Jaffery's Khatte chholer (sour chickpeas) - don't have my own chickpeas, but onions, tomatoes, first green Jalapeno chillibouncing ), facing heaven chilli powder (last year's) and coriander seed. Served with a courgette dish - home courgettes, garlic and dried red chilli.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th July 2014, 8:13 pm

A good picking of runner beans tonight. I hadn't realised so many were ready. They're not great, due to the hot dry weather, but good enough for a couple of meals. Tomatoes and chilli from the greenhouse, and two courgettes that 'escaped'. Think they be ending up as courgette cake!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th July 2014, 8:57 pm

I have plenty of courgettes too !

Today I picked some peas - including some of the Tuthnankamun peas from the seed swap. Some outdoor cucumbers. And - six gherkins from seed swap plants. Mrs C-H has pickled them with dill and garlic

Also got a bit of soft fruit.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th July 2014, 2:44 pm

Yes. I don't think any of us will be able to complain that the courgettes have done badly this year!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 27th July 2014, 3:45 pm

No visitors are allowed to leave my house without taking a couple of courgette with them. Had my first toms, sungold as always. Beans a long way off, first flowers just appearing.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th August 2014, 11:06 pm

Er, the courgettes and french beans are doing rather well...in fact, a little TOO well!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th August 2014, 10:25 am

Don't mention courgettes or cucumbers to me ! DW has a couple of vegetarian friends visiting today, and I have told her that it is her duty to make sure they don't get out the door empty handed  Laughing 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th August 2014, 10:35 am

Our freezer is full to bursting, and I feel a bit embarrassed to serve up yet another meal which has courgettes or squashes disguised somewhere in it (or completely blatant, such as stuffed marrow!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th August 2014, 11:41 am

Mangetout are really motoring now. Looking forward to my first bean - looks like it will be a climbing French variety. I'm a bit annoyed with the 'Dwarf Beans' that I bought when most of my last years seed failed to germinate. I don't call things that grow to about 4' & wind themselves round everything in sight, dwarf. I am definitely going to get seed for Lollo Rosso next year. My mum gave me a couple of surplus plants & they have been fabulous.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th August 2014, 12:55 pm

Some things have grown uncontrolably this year haven't they. I had some peas which were not supposed to be tall peas, but clambered all over the place. And my grape vine is heading off up the quince tree now. The greenhouse cucumbers have usually been clobbered by red spider mite at this time in the season, but have made it up to the ridge of the greenhouse, so I've had to train them along overhead - strange to have cucumbers dangling from above !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th August 2014, 10:13 am

No harvesting here today - we're all going to be paddling by the looks of the weather...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th August 2014, 10:19 am

We're paddling here now so it will be with you shortly.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th August 2014, 2:45 pm

Very Happy 
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th September 2014, 11:40 am

Plums, plums & more plums.  Even had a moderate crop from a 'family heirloom' tree that has never previously produced even a blossom.  Again I had just one greengage - last year it disappeared, this year I picked & ate it expecting it to be really sour.  It was the sweetest, most delicious fruit I have ever tasted.  It was my intention to grub the tree out as I realise we don't have the right conditions for greengage growing but now I think it will be staying even if I have to hand pollinate.
Courgettes are still going great guns & Mr Fearns purple podded beans are going really well at last.  I have loads of really tasty tomatoes in the gh - a couple of varieties that I will definitely be repeating.

How did you get on with your scant watering CH?  Having been  growing toms for nearly 40 years, this year I heard from 2 sources that overwatering causes tasteless toms so I tried minimal watering, even letting the tops of the plants wilt a bit, & it has possibly worked.  By the way, I'm still getting cucumbers.

Freebird - the jury is out on the self watering pots.  The 2 varieties I grew in them (one an F1 that I have done many times) both seemed to have a problem with fruit rotting & the non F1 variety had chronic blossom end rot which is the last thing I would have expected.  The plants did not grow anywhere near as tall as the others in grow bags & I found that I had very few but extremely large fruits.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2014, 8:25 pm

Ploshkin - have you noticed that the purple podded beans actually have green pods? I was only copying what was on the packet, but maybe it should be 'purple flowered' (although even then I would split hairs and say that the flowers are a pale lilac colour!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2014, 8:31 pm

One thing I'm NOT harvesting is pears. I planted a little pear tree a few years ago, and this is the first year it's had a crop - well, five pears actually. I was planning to pick them today, as they had been very underripe last time I checked, but yesterday I noticed that the whole crop of pears had fallen on the ground, and most had been scoffed by the blackbirds! No wonder they sounded so cheerful in the morning.
The fence which runs just behind the pear tree is in urgent need of renewing, but I had stuck to my guns and said that I would like the work to be done after the pears had ripened. Now I have no pears and no fence!!
To add insult to injury, we went to Tewkesbury market this afternoon at closing time, and bought a large punnet of pears for 50p, so maybe I was making a big fuss about nothing! Ah well, hopefully next year I'll pick them earlier...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next