A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 7th August 2014, 11:06 pm

Er, the courgettes and french beans are doing rather well...in fact, a little TOO well!!

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 8th August 2014, 10:25 am

Don't mention courgettes or cucumbers to me ! DW has a couple of vegetarian friends visiting today, and I have told her that it is her duty to make sure they don't get out the door empty handed  Laughing 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th August 2014, 10:35 am

Our freezer is full to bursting, and I feel a bit embarrassed to serve up yet another meal which has courgettes or squashes disguised somewhere in it (or completely blatant, such as stuffed marrow!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 8th August 2014, 11:41 am

Mangetout are really motoring now. Looking forward to my first bean - looks like it will be a climbing French variety. I'm a bit annoyed with the 'Dwarf Beans' that I bought when most of my last years seed failed to germinate. I don't call things that grow to about 4' & wind themselves round everything in sight, dwarf. I am definitely going to get seed for Lollo Rosso next year. My mum gave me a couple of surplus plants & they have been fabulous.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th August 2014, 12:55 pm

Some things have grown uncontrolably this year haven't they. I had some peas which were not supposed to be tall peas, but clambered all over the place. And my grape vine is heading off up the quince tree now. The greenhouse cucumbers have usually been clobbered by red spider mite at this time in the season, but have made it up to the ridge of the greenhouse, so I've had to train them along overhead - strange to have cucumbers dangling from above !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th August 2014, 10:13 am

No harvesting here today - we're all going to be paddling by the looks of the weather...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th August 2014, 10:19 am

We're paddling here now so it will be with you shortly.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th August 2014, 2:45 pm

Very Happy 
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th September 2014, 11:40 am

Plums, plums & more plums.  Even had a moderate crop from a 'family heirloom' tree that has never previously produced even a blossom.  Again I had just one greengage - last year it disappeared, this year I picked & ate it expecting it to be really sour.  It was the sweetest, most delicious fruit I have ever tasted.  It was my intention to grub the tree out as I realise we don't have the right conditions for greengage growing but now I think it will be staying even if I have to hand pollinate.
Courgettes are still going great guns & Mr Fearns purple podded beans are going really well at last.  I have loads of really tasty tomatoes in the gh - a couple of varieties that I will definitely be repeating.

How did you get on with your scant watering CH?  Having been  growing toms for nearly 40 years, this year I heard from 2 sources that overwatering causes tasteless toms so I tried minimal watering, even letting the tops of the plants wilt a bit, & it has possibly worked.  By the way, I'm still getting cucumbers.

Freebird - the jury is out on the self watering pots.  The 2 varieties I grew in them (one an F1 that I have done many times) both seemed to have a problem with fruit rotting & the non F1 variety had chronic blossom end rot which is the last thing I would have expected.  The plants did not grow anywhere near as tall as the others in grow bags & I found that I had very few but extremely large fruits.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2014, 8:25 pm

Ploshkin - have you noticed that the purple podded beans actually have green pods? I was only copying what was on the packet, but maybe it should be 'purple flowered' (although even then I would split hairs and say that the flowers are a pale lilac colour!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th September 2014, 8:31 pm

One thing I'm NOT harvesting is pears. I planted a little pear tree a few years ago, and this is the first year it's had a crop - well, five pears actually. I was planning to pick them today, as they had been very underripe last time I checked, but yesterday I noticed that the whole crop of pears had fallen on the ground, and most had been scoffed by the blackbirds! No wonder they sounded so cheerful in the morning.
The fence which runs just behind the pear tree is in urgent need of renewing, but I had stuck to my guns and said that I would like the work to be done after the pears had ripened. Now I have no pears and no fence!!
To add insult to injury, we went to Tewkesbury market this afternoon at closing time, and bought a large punnet of pears for 50p, so maybe I was making a big fuss about nothing! Ah well, hopefully next year I'll pick them earlier...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TamaraNicole 6th September 2014, 9:06 pm

Oh no Dandelion! Sounds terrible!
TamaraNicole
TamaraNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th September 2014, 11:09 pm

Oh hard luck Dandelion. My new Victoria plum has had quite a decent little crop this year, though finished a couple of weeks ago.

I am harvesting a few autumn raspberries (Polka) which are lovely, but never very many at a time. Courgettes have slowed down but still chugging along. Runner beans - no idea what has happened. After a small flush of beans last month, now no flowers or beans. Plants seem ok though.

S'funny what you say about the self-watering pots, Ploshkin. I've consistently had my best plants and best crops ever since I started using them. It may be that they address the particular problems I have been experiencing, but not yours. Also, regarding your comments about under-watering tomatoes for better flavour, again I've had my best flavoured tomatoes when using them - though that may be more down to the fact that we live in the SE and they get longer to ripen.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 10th September 2014, 10:11 am

Picked off the Bloody Ploughman apples this morning. They didn't quite come of easily when lifted, as is always said to be the way of checking ripeness, but I khow from experience that if I wait for that to happen I'll be picking them up off the floor bruised and full of wasp holes. I've packed one for my lunch, so I'll soon find out if I judged it right.

Also picked some Italian wild rocket -this is indeed wild in my garden; I have not needed to sow it for years now. At this time of year it is flowering and gets rather peppery and hot, which is good to me. That's gone in my lunchtime sandwiches too !

Tonight I plan to dig the rest of the potatoes, some carrots and maybe a bit of beetroot, and pick off any raspberries.

I am getting rather fed up with courgettes by now, in both senses !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 10th September 2014, 4:32 pm

Am nursing a sore foot, after a butternut squash I had harvested and left on a shelf in the porch rolled off and hit my big toe. It's better today, and has stopped bleeding, but for a while I thought the toe might be broken. Am relieved that I don't have to go to hospital, because this would mean becoming a statistic. How many other butternut squash-related injuries have there been so far this year?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 10th September 2014, 9:03 pm

A few years ago I had to go to the hospital after getting poked in the eye by a runner bean.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 10th September 2014, 9:10 pm

I can't think of any harvest-related injuries that I've had - though both of yours made me laugh!

I do remember having the step ladder out to reach apples on the tree. I was on the top platform and one side of the ladder started sinking into the ground. No prospect of getting down without upsetting it, so I was yelling for my husband to come and rescue me, with my tiny tot son hanging on to the side of the ladder for all he was worth looking petrified, bless him. I think he would just laugh now and let me fall off!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th September 2014, 12:01 pm

This whole grow-your-own thing is obviously more dangerous than I first thought!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 12th September 2014, 2:48 pm

Having ignored the plants because they really weren't doing anything, today I found a perfect, big head of calabrese on one plant.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 12th September 2014, 7:59 pm

Good thing you found it before the caterpillars or slugs did! I've passed a slug in our garden a couple of times at night, when I've been out to lock the chickens in, which must be well over six inches in length. My youngest said that it was about the length of a baby's arm!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th September 2014, 11:50 am

Hooray, at long last I'm getting a good supply of runner beans - the way the weather's been I thought they might get caught by frost before I had any.
I've just dug the last of my potatoes - first earlies so they've had a good innings. The last few will go in the freezer for Xmas dinner. I'm just about to go out & pick a modest crop of damsons from the tree in the garden, it's the first fruit I've had from it.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 18th September 2014, 5:37 pm

I need another week to get any more runners - they're tiny little ones at the moment, a second flush (if that's the right term!!). We've hardly had any yet this year, as the few that were produced in the summer went from little immature ones to dreadful old toenaily ones within a very short time.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th September 2014, 11:33 am

Well pleased this morning.  I was unexpectedly at a loose end yesterday evening, so went to the lotty and picked off all the Borlotti, Flageoulet and Greek Gigandes beans that were dry, thinking that the weather would not hold for ever - and sure enough, I woke up to a rainy start to the day !  Lots of beans this year - I think the flageoulet type (soissons, from the Organic Garden Catalogue) are a great bean - so versatile, I use them in Mexican dishes - great in a chilli baked in the oven in a hollowed out squash, but also in Cassoulet, and Greek φασολια (Fasolia) dishes.

I also pulled some carrots, cut the odd small calabrese, a box full of rather nice raspberries and brought back 3 pumpkins.  Don't want to risk some low life nicking them again !

When I got back I cooked Madhur Jaffery's beetroot with onions. with some beets I dug out last time - they were a bit ugly but tasted good.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th September 2014, 4:41 pm

We've now got a crop of lovely runner beans - at least, they look lovely! Am hoping they taste as good as they look, as we have friends coming for a meal tonight!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th October 2014, 10:48 am

Courgettes - in October!  That's definitely the last of them now.
Runner beans going well & good old Mr Fearn's too although now a bit curly with the lower temperatures.
Can anyone advise on saving bean seeds (I definitely want to grow Mr Fearn's again next year).  I'm not very good at seed saving.  I left the pods on a couple of the plants several weeks ago & they've gone quite big & lumpy.  As it was going to be near freezing & then wet I took some of them off with as much stem & leaf as I could & hung them in the greenhouse to hopefully dry.  I have left some on the plants in case that wasn't the right thing to do.  I can't get the whole plants out because they are twined round bean netting & I know that the pods will never dry on the plants because the frost or wet will get them first.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th October 2014, 7:41 pm

I accidentally left a few beans on the plants earlier in the season which have dried well. But I've also picked pods which are beginning to go leathery and dried them off further in my shed, until the pod is crisp and more brittle. I podded tham last weekend, and they're now sitting in take-away curry containers on my desk, waiting for me to bage them up into paper bags.
What you said you've done sounds right, P, but if you have any problems let me know as I've saved lots of Mr Fearns and will have plenty spare.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next