A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Dandelion 18th September 2014, 5:37 pm

I need another week to get any more runners - they're tiny little ones at the moment, a second flush (if that's the right term!!). We've hardly had any yet this year, as the few that were produced in the summer went from little immature ones to dreadful old toenaily ones within a very short time.

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Chilli-head 19th September 2014, 11:33 am

Well pleased this morning.  I was unexpectedly at a loose end yesterday evening, so went to the lotty and picked off all the Borlotti, Flageoulet and Greek Gigandes beans that were dry, thinking that the weather would not hold for ever - and sure enough, I woke up to a rainy start to the day !  Lots of beans this year - I think the flageoulet type (soissons, from the Organic Garden Catalogue) are a great bean - so versatile, I use them in Mexican dishes - great in a chilli baked in the oven in a hollowed out squash, but also in Cassoulet, and Greek φασολια (Fasolia) dishes.

I also pulled some carrots, cut the odd small calabrese, a box full of rather nice raspberries and brought back 3 pumpkins.  Don't want to risk some low life nicking them again !

When I got back I cooked Madhur Jaffery's beetroot with onions. with some beets I dug out last time - they were a bit ugly but tasted good.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th September 2014, 4:41 pm

We've now got a crop of lovely runner beans - at least, they look lovely! Am hoping they taste as good as they look, as we have friends coming for a meal tonight!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 6th October 2014, 10:48 am

Courgettes - in October!  That's definitely the last of them now.
Runner beans going well & good old Mr Fearn's too although now a bit curly with the lower temperatures.
Can anyone advise on saving bean seeds (I definitely want to grow Mr Fearn's again next year).  I'm not very good at seed saving.  I left the pods on a couple of the plants several weeks ago & they've gone quite big & lumpy.  As it was going to be near freezing & then wet I took some of them off with as much stem & leaf as I could & hung them in the greenhouse to hopefully dry.  I have left some on the plants in case that wasn't the right thing to do.  I can't get the whole plants out because they are twined round bean netting & I know that the pods will never dry on the plants because the frost or wet will get them first.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th October 2014, 7:41 pm

I accidentally left a few beans on the plants earlier in the season which have dried well. But I've also picked pods which are beginning to go leathery and dried them off further in my shed, until the pod is crisp and more brittle. I podded tham last weekend, and they're now sitting in take-away curry containers on my desk, waiting for me to bage them up into paper bags.
What you said you've done sounds right, P, but if you have any problems let me know as I've saved lots of Mr Fearns and will have plenty spare.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th October 2014, 8:24 pm

Collecting the last bits of things today. Last of the beans. Last of the calabrese. Probably near the last few courgettes.

Loads of carrots left though. I'll soon be bored of carrot soup !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th October 2014, 11:05 pm

We've eaten the last of the Beauty of Bath apples (it's a very small tree, so the crop isn't huge.) They are cooking apples, but very sweet, so they don't need much extra sugar. I picked some Winter Greening apples, which are hard green small cooking apples - some are still not ready to be picked. They're more a subsistence food than a luxury!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th October 2014, 6:18 pm

I picked more courgettes today. I've had a cloche over the fruiting end of the plant as I've been trying to get one to marrow size. Picked it today as I know I'm pushing my luck. Not as big as I would like, but enough to make some marrow and tomato chutney. The autumn raspberries are still chugging along - tasty, but only ever a few at a time. They usually end up on my breakfast.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 27th October 2014, 8:35 pm

Dandelion wrote:We've eaten the last of the Beauty of Bath apples (it's a very small tree, so the crop isn't huge.) They are cooking apples, but very sweet, so they don't need much extra sugar. I picked some Winter Greening apples, which are hard green small cooking apples - some are still not ready to be picked. They're more a subsistence food than a luxury!
Silly me - not Beauty of Bath but Beauty of Kent. The first is not a cooking apple at all!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 28th October 2014, 9:59 am

I still have courgettes ! One plant is nearly dead, but the other which has grown into a nicely sheltered spot by the greenhouse is still going.

It's been a strange year. No big gluts, but perhaps this is a good thing - instead I've had a steady supply of just about ehough veg. Oh, I'm forgetting the carrots. Got a lot of those to eat ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th October 2014, 1:57 pm

I went to put some cuttings on the greenhouse staging & found that there was a load of nice, ripe tomatoes on my abandoned plants. They're really tasty too. The warm weather must have helped them along - they've not had any water for weeks in fact I was about to clear the plants out.

I'm intending to try my first brussel sprouts today, they're a good size.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st November 2014, 8:28 pm

My first ever November courgette.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 1st November 2014, 8:34 pm

freebird wrote:My first ever November courgette.
Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 12th November 2014, 4:58 pm

I went to dig over where the early potatoes had been the other day, to get out anly left over to avoid volunteers next season. "Why are you digging there ?" asks DW. "The potatoes were over there !". Aha. I thought the potatoes had not yielded so well as I expected - DW normally digs the earlies as she needs them, and by a communication error she didn't know about the second row ! Bonus row of Charoltte potatoes Very Happy
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 12th November 2014, 9:20 pm

Ooh, bonus CH!

I didn't exactly harvest anything today, but we did eat some carrots that were harvested some time ago. 15 months ago, to be precise. They been languishing in the fridge since I pulled them up. I'd get them out from time to time and look at them, all curly and twisted, and think oh I'll deal with them another day. They were still in perfect condition, and tasted excellent in our beef stew this evening.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 13th November 2014, 2:46 pm

15 months in the fridge!!
I know home grown things last well but I wouldn't expect that. My carrots stay in the ground (I have been out with a pick on ********* Day before now to get some for dinner). They lasted right through to April this year. I find that the slugs will decimate some but leave the others untouched.
I've started on the Brussel sprouts - they're very big & very sweet so I'm pleased with them as they had no attention whatsoever, just a butterfly net cage over them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th April 2015, 8:04 am

Salad leaves and ... asparagus Cool Not many spears yet, but enough for a side dish tonight.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 14th April 2015, 12:45 pm

Hmm, asparagus envy CH. Can't even see mine yet.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 14th April 2015, 3:00 pm

I gave mine a good layer of compost and manure ... seems it was just the tonic needed !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 14th April 2015, 9:29 pm

Not exactly exciting, but the spring cabbage in our garden is ready, and quite delicious. I love those pointy headed cabbages, and they're fairly delicate in flavour at the moment.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 17th April 2015, 11:59 am

What is your timing, Dandelion, to get spring cabbages now? When do you sow? I did manage them a couple of years ago but they needed to do quite a bit of growing in the spring & I certainly didn't have them as early as this. I'm hopeless getting cabbages for the right time - I usually seem to have a glut in the summer when I don't particularly want them.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 17th April 2015, 8:14 pm

I sow them in August, in the second half of the month, using varieties like Greyhound. I grow them on in modules, and plant out before the weather gets too cold (October usually). They over winter looking quite small and weedy: the trick is not to feed them before the winter because you don't want any lush tender growth which will make them vulnerable to frost. I usually put something high in nitrogen around them in February (it was chicken manure pellets this year) then as the weather improves they sprint away and make lots of growth. I love the fact that you don't have to protect them against cabbage whites, unless you intend to leave them in the ground until late spring, but you do need to protect against slugs and pigeons (you do in our neck of the woods anyway!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 17th April 2015, 9:07 pm

freebird wrote:Hmm, asparagus envy CH. Can't even see mine yet.

Perhaps I wasn't looking properly as I harvested the first two spears yesterday!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th June 2015, 2:24 pm

Yay!!What are you harvesting today? - Page 21 P1010410
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th June 2015, 2:55 pm

Oh wow. Summer is here at last. I noticed a half red one or two last weekend, I'll have to go and looks again, but you have certainly beat me to it with a bowlful Ploshkin !

I have had 5 mini cucumbers so far (Cuicino, a lovely variety). We had some in a salad with spinach baby leaf and lettuce - I sowed those in a seed tray months ago in the greenhouse, took a couple of cuttings off them, then planted out the remains in the garden in a shady spot - it has grown back well.

What I have got for tonight is a very nice bushy green row of coriander. I'm going to use some to garnish a tomato rasam - and Indian soup with tomato, lemon, chilli, mustard seeds, curry leaves etc. I'm crossing my fingers that I can barbecue some kofte (meatballs) with coriander at the weekend, weather permitting. Better to use coriander young - it always bolts in my free draining garden soil. But then it will provide coriander seed ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th June 2015, 4:53 pm

Ah, they are out of the greenhouse CH. I gave up trying to grow them outside here years ago and the final straw was when my ducks ate all the red ones & bit off all the green ones. I grow everbearers in hanging baskets in the GH.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next