A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What are you harvesting today? - Page 40 Hca_button

What are you harvesting today?

+26
Ploshkin
warlock1
Colleen Beahan
Adrian
freebird
Luath
Kristy lee
MrsC
Leanne
frankbeswick
Mike
Hathorite
Lizbuff13
Broadstoneuk
Sparhawk
Lottie
budburst12
Thewoollyshepherd
Jaded Green
Green Rosie
AngelinaJellyBeana
Snoopka
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
polgara
Compostwoman
Dandelion
30 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by Ploshkin 20th June 2018, 9:14 am

If you're growing g carrots in troughs Amsterdam Forcing are brilliant for successional sowing and to get a nice early greenhouse crop. I usually sow my first batch at the end of January and keep under fleece until things warm up. My last (3rd) batch last year sat in the dry compost in the tunnel through the winter and I harvested the final ones some time in April. It's one of those things I've decided it's probably not worth growing outside now.

Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

What are you harvesting today? - Page 40 Empty Re: What are you harvesting today?

Post by freebird 20th June 2018, 1:25 pm

Thanks for that, Ploshkin. I'm growing Early Nantes (I think). They need to be a short-rooted variety as the troughs aren't huge. However, amazingly straightforward so far. Usually, in the ground, carrots are more trouble than they're worth. The seed is already old, so may try your recommendation next year.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 20th June 2018, 10:06 pm

Woo hoo! I spotted a few tiny pea pods today Very Happy
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 24th June 2018, 12:03 pm

First few blackcurrants - the bush is laden but they're not quite so black on close examination. And a very few blueberries.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th June 2018, 9:39 pm

The last of the spring cabbage, which Mr D found grwoing away, still tender and very fresh tasting. They were Durham Elf, which heart up if you leave them, so I'll be growng them again next year (next knee permitting...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 24th June 2018, 9:42 pm

My blackcurrants are not all fully ripe yet.  

Today I picked a few strawberries,  and lifted garlic and overwontered onions, red and white.  The softneck garlic has made good sized bulbs, but the hardback type has not split into cloves, just made a large single bulb.  I've left them to see if a bit more time will help.

I also dug some Charlotte potatoes (a volunteer from last year's crop, but good nonetheless), and picked some rocket - also volunteers from last year's plants.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 24th June 2018, 10:31 pm

One sungold tomato, warm off the plant - grower's perks. None of the others are even starting to colour.
We're on a courgette a day now. The plant in the tunnel is about 6' across.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 25th June 2018, 8:57 am

Miss JG has taken on an allotment this year and yesterday harvested her first potatoes
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th June 2018, 6:50 pm

Jaded Green wrote:Miss JG has taken on an allotment this year and yesterday harvested her first potatoes
Wonderful - hope it's an encouragement for her to carry on the hard work!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 26th June 2018, 7:48 pm

I think it is. She has sent pictures of courgettes today. Her allotment is rather dry :-(
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 28th June 2018, 8:07 pm

My first ever blueberries. 12 - just enough to put on my breakfast. Some more to come.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 29th June 2018, 11:32 am

Few strawberries - virtually finished, though I still have ever-bearers that will fruit in dribs and drabs, raspberries, a few more blueberries, handful of blackcurrants, good picking of peas and out the greenhouse my first cucumber.

Really pleased about the soft fruit. There isn't much of anything, but this is first season in the fruit cage. Everything was moved in autumn from where it was struggling, too close to next door conifers, and pruned hard. Feeling hopeful for some modest crops next year.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th June 2018, 11:44 am

I was up with Dad yesterday. His strawberry plot has expanded of its own accord to cover a large part of the garden. Lots of strawberries; he made me bring some away with me. Mine have finished, I think it got too dry for them - but I do have strawberry jam and strawberry frozen yoghurt made from my own fruit.

I have Bloody Butcher tomatoes starting to turn red - and Indigo apple turning a very strange colour indeed.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 1st July 2018, 12:52 pm

First picking of gooseberries this morning, 1.8kg (about 4 lb in old money) That's more than I've picked in the 30 years I've had the bush!!
And one pea pod, just to try. Ate them raw, shared with Lulu the parrot.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 1st July 2018, 3:02 pm

Gooseberries here too today, they're quite big and a lot have turned red. I've also had my first raspberries, loads but small -it's been too dry (it's rare that I can say that). Critical water time for gooseberries must be earlier than raspberries.
I've also picked my first broad beans and French beans in the tunnel.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 1st July 2018, 9:24 pm

Collected together enough veg for the first Kari Sayur of the year - home grown garlic, onions, sugar snap peas, courgette, potato, and coriander seed. Followed by summer pudding made by Mrs C-H from my blackcurrants and Dad's strawberries. Yum.

Tomatoes are beginning to turn, though the blossom end rot is terrible this year. I don't believe the usual story about irregular watering, I suspect the weather affects calcium uptake
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 1st July 2018, 10:56 pm

Ah, blossom end rot. Had to discard half a dozen Rose de Berne tomatoes today that had it. No chance of irregular watering as they are in the Autopots connected to a header tank that self-fills.

Nice picking of broad beans today, and two more cucumbers, couple of raspberries (but I think the birds are getting at them, despite many hanging CDs), peas and sugar snaps.

-------

https://handmadelife.forumotion.net/viewtopic.forum?t=2796
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40