A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Hca_button

What have I done in the workshop today?

+15
Adrian
justin.sanford.9469
Mike
freebird
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Lottie
budburst12
mr_sfstk8d
Chilli-head
mark barker
Sparhawk
polgara
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Hairyloon
19 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by Dandelion 7th October 2014, 7:37 pm

BTW, have we done the 'fork handle' joke yet??

Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by Ploshkin 7th October 2014, 9:24 pm

Oh that seat is just beautiful, I just want to stroke it. I don't know of any elm trees now but we've recently planted an elm hedge as they apparently don't get dutch elm disease until they are quite tall.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 8th October 2014, 8:57 pm

That is lovely CH. Is there a reason for using two different woods for the legs and seat - aesthetics maybe, or a practical purpose?
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th October 2014, 9:35 pm

It's a fairly traditional combination, for practical reasons. Ash cleaves easily along the grain, so is a good choice for legs, rails etc. But this is not actually what you need for the seat - the last thing you want is a wood that splits easily, so the interlocking grain of elm is more suitable. I rather like the look of the elm with its pronounced grain, and like the contrast. This particular elm was very dry, and the ash was felled the day I collected it -this is quite the wrong way round, as it makes the joints more likely to loosen as it dries - hence the wedges (and a bit of modern glue Embarassed ).

Our next challenge is to be a taller 3 or 4 legged stool, with rails. I have a nice piece of elm for that, the shape of which suggests what it should become quite strongly to me. Looking forward to that.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 27th November 2014, 10:52 pm

Is it ok to mention Christmas yet ? I got grumbled at a few weeks ago in the tea room.

Been making a lot of Christmas gifts. Bottle stoppers, a footstool or two, a lemon squeezer and five (yes 5!) chopping boards. And a couple of very traditional screwdrivers (that's "turnscrews" if you're being posh) for a Secret Santa on another woodworking forum.

A lot of work, particularly when done all by hand, but a lot more enjoyable than going shopping.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th November 2014, 10:15 am

Is it ok to mention Christmas yet ?

Not until December!  Give me time to go into hibernation.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st January 2015, 9:58 pm

I did a lot of chatting and not much wood turning at Wimpole last weekend, but this evening I fitted the pair of pulls I made to the bathroom roller blind.

After a lot of distractions I've got back to the bookcase. It is turning into a major dovetail practice piece, wide dovetails to hold the top on and sliding dovetails for the shelves. May be quite a bit longer till it's finished. ..
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd March 2015, 7:54 am

Got back to making the small bookcase C-H Jnr has been waiting for. Involves a lot of this:
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 20150211
Finished those lapped dovetails last night, now for sliding dovetails for the shelves.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 4th March 2015, 1:56 pm

Wow, those joints are beautiful Chilli Head, that's going to be a bookcase of some strength.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th March 2015, 2:09 pm

It reminds me of the inside of a musical instrument. It looks really beautiful, CH. Any chance CH Jnr will appreciate what you have done for him, before he gets to be the age you are now??!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th March 2015, 2:52 pm

freebird wrote:Any chance CH Jnr will appreciate what you have done for him, before he gets to be the age you are now??!

He is just bemused as to why it takes so long ! He has a bit of a point, but as well as the day job, I have decorated two bedrooms this winter (including his !), and got distracted by Christmas present making in the meantime. I'm back on this job now, hoping to clear it before I get back to my second chair. And whatever I want to make for the APTGW craft competition at the Bodgers' ball.

And I've just heard the rather sad news that MAC Timbers have been forced to shut up shop. They are a good source of interesting timber, and I was hoping to get some big slabs of walnut from him for chair #3, for which I want to make a smoker's bow. I'll have to try and get there before all the wood is gone !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th March 2015, 10:04 pm

Oh dear, I've just realised that what I wrote could have been misconstrued. What I meant to convey was the fact that children rarely appreciate the efforts parents make on their behalf, until they are old enough to be doing exactly the same thing! I didn't mean to imply that you are taking far too long over the job.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 5th March 2015, 7:54 am

It's OK freebird, I read it as you intended. But most things do seem to take me a long time ....
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th March 2015, 1:22 pm

Yesterday I collected a super board of English walnut from MAC Timbers. It must have come from an enormous tree - it is a single board 22" wide by 2" thick. Hopefully it will make the seat and armrest of chair no 3.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 4th April 2015, 9:04 pm

Finally got around to putting together those dovetails that I showed you earlier:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 <a href=What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Dt10

After a pretty stressful glue-up (had to call in help from the kitchen at one point), it is looking like this:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 <a href=What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Bc110"

The bottom and middle shelf are held in place with sliding dovetails - a single tapered dovetail from front to back, that slides in from the front, pulling the sides in.

There's quite a lot of colour variation in this oak;  I am told it is English, but it is from fairly small trees, making it necessary to make up the wide pieces by jointing together smaller boards. The worst mismatch is on the little vertical dividers,  which I'm hoping won't be to obvious.

Just the back to go now.  That will be made of tongue and grooved boards - I've just finished planing up the wood for this, hence the mess on the floor !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 4th April 2015, 10:40 pm

Wow CH, that looks stunning. I love seeing the bits that hold it all together. Beautiful!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 5th April 2015, 12:04 pm

freebird wrote:Wow CH, that looks stunning. I love seeing the bits that hold it all together. Beautiful!
Just what I was going to say!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 5th April 2015, 6:14 pm

Dandelion wrote:
freebird wrote:Wow CH, that looks stunning. I love seeing the bits that hold it all together. Beautiful!
Just what I was going to say!!

Me three!!
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 5th April 2015, 8:43 pm

And I'll fourth that!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 2nd May 2015, 9:11 pm

Finished that bookcase for C-H Jnr and hauled it upstairs into his room today.  I added a back made from tongue and grooved oak boards, and finished it off with Osmo hard wax oil and a polish up with beeswax.

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Bc1010
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th July 2015, 11:15 pm

I was originally planning to be at Danny farmland museum demoing with the Wimpole green woodworkers. The weather was awful though, and after getting fairly wet at the last meeting at the Wimpole scythe festival, I decided retreat to my workshop instead.

I have been meaning to make a wooden tool tote for my greenwood tools for a while - I have been using a plastic one to date but it doesn't seem fitting. And it is too small to hold bigger tools like a hand brace, axes and drawknives. So, with some wood from old shelving and pallets I pulled from an English Heritage skip, I've made a good start - main box and handle done, just a top tray to hold smaller tools to do. I'll show you when it's finished.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 28th July 2015, 11:17 am

I'll look forward to the pictures.
I meant to comment before on the finished bookcase. I would be delighted to have that gracing any of my rooms so if CH Junior isn't using it ......... I like the compartments rather than long shelves.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th July 2015, 5:19 pm

The bookcase is currently holding C-H Jnr's treasured collection of back issues of The Beano, and his karate trophies, so I don't think you'll get him to part with it !  The cubby holes are designed to be wide enough for A4 folders lying flat, or tall enough to stand them up, in anticipation of the day when he becomes studious Laughing  It does avoid the domino effect when you push in one book and the whole shelf load topple over.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th October 2015, 10:27 am

Not exactly in the workshop today, the autumnal sun was far too nice to be indoors.  But we had a meeting of the Wimpole woodworkers, so I took along a bit of the pear wood that arrived on my allotment last week.  I thought there might be a bowl or two inside, and here's one:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Pear_b10

The wood is still very wet; it was felled only last week and has a very high moisture content - so much so that it was flying out as a spray from the wood whilst it was spinning on the lathe, so I got a bit of a shower !  It has turned very pink on exposure to the air - I'm told pear turns even more pink if you steam it -  I wonder what colours will be in it when it is fully dried and oiled.

As I said, it was a lovely day to be out, and quite a few walkers thought the same so we had a few passers by to chat with, as well as the odd new member along to have a go having met us the other week at Burwash manor.  Simon was in the process of clearing out Cobbs wood farm where we often meet, which meant his extensive collection of vintage agricultural implements were outside and made a talking point.  A lot of them would be familiar to viewers of Edwardian farm and other of Ruth Goodman's series.  There was a potato spinner type harvester, a reaper binder, and he also has an old threshing machine.

Graham was out and about too - now here is a sight you don't see too often these days:
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Graham10
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 3rd January 2016, 6:22 pm

Raining again today, but I needed to get on with something. It's a good thing I can set my lathe up with the bungee indoors ! I made a couple of legs for chair #3, the Smoker's bow. The book I'm using as a guide did not intend the designs to be made using a pole lathe, I think, and the turning is fiddly - takes me anout 2 hours per leg to get from log to leg ! I'll have to start a thread for this project when I've got some pictures.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 15th January 2016, 10:00 am

That pear bowl.  Now, I have made stuff from fruitwood in the past and I know it shrinks and twists a lot as it dries, but I still didn't expect this:
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 6 Pear_b10

That's not an error in the aspect ratio of the picture, it is now 165mm x 140mm.  Distinctly oval.  I've planed the base back flat so it does not wobble, but I'm still deciding what to do with it.  Perhaps it's shape could be regarded as character. It is a shame that lovely pinkish terracotta colour of the fresh wood has faded to a less exciting brown.  Perhaps a food safe oil finish might restore it a bit.  Or I always need kindling.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next