A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Hca_button

What have I done in the workshop today?

+15
Adrian
justin.sanford.9469
Mike
freebird
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Lottie
budburst12
mr_sfstk8d
Chilli-head
mark barker
Sparhawk
polgara
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Hairyloon
19 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by WoodTrol 7th December 2010, 6:10 pm

I agree that there is nothing like old steel to hold a keen edge. I have read there are companies that are starting to use traditional methods and steel that has not been recycled. I think the impurities in recycled steel are one of the factors in modern tools being inferiour (as well as the culture of buy cheep, use once, then throw away).

Using a hand plane (once you have gotten used to the effort and technique) often gives a better result. I recently planned over 20 meters (in various widths and thichnesses) of home planked poplar for a job I have been doing for client. If I had been using an electric planner it would have torn out fibers all over the place and ruined the surface, which was to be very visual.

WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by Compostwoman 7th December 2010, 6:14 pm

Older steel had only a few alloying elements in it and the percentages had to be pretty spot on.

Modern steel gets the properties from a fine balance of very many elements, which is ok when it is "new" metal but yes I could see the potential for a significant "build up" of elements in recycled steels which would affect the overall properties...you can add more compounds to get the material properties back again but every thing has an effect.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 7th December 2010, 7:05 pm

I deal with that routinely in my line of work. Recycling metals is great for some purposes, but not so great for others. Especially when the wrong metal gets sorted in. Take for instance working on a cast piece of steel for a finished product. Tractor engine case, let's say Wink . Now, what happens when an old bit of carbide gets mixed into the casting "pot" metal? Machining away, happy as a clam, start a drill and "BAM" shattered bits of drill.

"Normalizing" heat processes help some. (Heat treat to a specific heat/time recipe, as well as cooling/quenching recipe) As does carburization. (Imagine baking the piece at high temps in a coke bath). But the base metals, especially those of too high heat tolerance to be affected by the above, can still make problems in finish machining.
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 7th December 2010, 7:08 pm

lol!
Amongst many other things, I am a Materials Scientist by profession, and when I worked for a salary, that was what I did in my former working life Very Happy

Spent many happy hours playing with dopants and adjusting alloys Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker 8th December 2010, 3:59 pm

Keep meaning to pop a picture or two up here to show the kind of mutants that evolve in my shed... Heres one to start with...

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Tadpol10
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th December 2010, 4:04 pm

Ooooooo! That is nice!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by WoodTrol 8th December 2010, 6:42 pm

Meanwhilst....
With the intention of making a 'Rocket stove' to heat part of the building I have started cutting up an old boiler from a central heating system. The cast iron will make an excellent top to the burn tunnel (I have read that due to the heat the bricks normally used are prone to cracking in this area).
This is an example of a finished one (illustration from the front of Ianto Evans' book)
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Cover
WoodTrol

Back to top Go down

Post by budburst12 8th December 2010, 7:06 pm

Wow, there's some great projects going on in your workshops! Nice to see the photos.

I've just been getting back in there after a couple of years away - our own workshop gremlins made getting through the door very time consuming and getting beyond the door near on impossible, but the mess has now been beaten back to reveal the lovely lathe, which I've been having some fun on getting a christmas present together for my sister. I'll post pics next time I get out there. Bit disappointed with the wood on this one though - I always seem to have trouble turning sycamore - it seems to need a real careful touch to stop it going all rough. Hey ho though, I'll just have to take my time finishing up with sandpaper to smooth it out.
budburst12
budburst12

http://oakhousepermaculture.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mark barker 8th December 2010, 10:27 pm

Wood Troll wrote:Mark, you should write a thread on how you go about making one of these brilliant beasties! Do you canibalise other bikes and weld them up into new parts, or do start with new steel?
Thanks! When I start my next project I hope to remember to take pictures along the way...

The trike above was built up from 2 kids mountain bikes and 1 adult bike, with a few sections of steel box section. All of these I picked up from the local council recycling centre. The only new parts are the tyres and the brake discs on the front. I guess the total build has cost around £60 and taken about 50 hours.
mark barker
mark barker

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 8th December 2010, 10:51 pm

So...costing your time at a (very!) low £10 per hour that would sell at £600 ish

Add a 50% retail mark up...£1200

sounds about right to me for a one off work of engineering art/craft work....

seriously! Mark you need to go into the "bespoke bike " business.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th May 2011, 10:38 pm

Split a green Poplar log using a billhook and mallet, roughed it into a circular blank with the draw knife on the shave horse

Turned it down on the pole lathe and then carved it ( using spoon and straight knives) into a spoon Cool

Am pleased.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th May 2011, 12:31 pm

Great stuff - there is a spoon carving thread about somewhere for photos ... Smile

I have never done green woodwork, always worked in seasoned wood. I am really mystified how to prevent things made from green wood splitting - don't they tend to dry out dangerously quickly ? Do you have to oil/wax or something to slow it down ? I'm picturing the state of the wood in my logpile now ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th May 2011, 1:36 pm

I have composed 3 replies now, and saved them in the draft folder abut still they have got lost! grr!

C-H you stick them in a bag of shavings so they don't dry out too fast...

Also selection of wood, working with the grain etc are all even more important with green wood.

Its fascinating stuff!

Now looking at a Scheppach Tiger 2500 Wet & Dry Grinder with all sorts of useful attachments.....
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 13th May 2011, 2:23 pm

I have the Tiger 2000 - the plasticky version, but I reckoned it was cheaper and wouldn't go rusty Laughing These Scheppach machines look like a cheaper rip-off of Tormek, without the speed controls etc.

I'm not sure it really should be classed as a wet or dry grinder, both sides only turn slowly (2 revs per second ?). I find the leather honing wheel little use - I do my honing on an oil stone. But, for a wet stone grinder, it makes a nice job of plane and chisel blades. Because I'm restoring long-neglected tools I'm often grinding quite a bit off to re-shape rounded over edges, so the process can be painfully slow. Hopefully it will not be so long in normal circumstances.

Thanks for the tip about the bag of shavings - I knew there must be some trick I was missing !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th May 2011, 3:16 pm

Mmmm Tormek mmmmm dribble

A bit out of our price range at the mo ever, unless pre owned..

Yes we are debating between the 2000 and the 2500...lots of extra money, but does it give a better return I wonder?

Thanks for the heads up abut the speed - will investigate further.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th May 2011, 11:22 pm

Cm and I engaged in a " turning" contest....to see who could make the smoothest rolling pin from a poplar blank in the shortest time...

I fear this may get serious!

Oh and we were fighting over who got to use MY new Ashley Iles tools first.... Shocked Rolling Eyes note whose tools they were... Shocked Shocked :roll

Cg wanted to have a go later and has a friend coming round tomorrow to "use E's pole lathe" as her mum said on the phone..... Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 14th May 2011, 8:10 am

Seems to me you need some labels, just to make sure whos is whos. lol!

Either that or spend a whole day using each & every tool, a sort of hobby holiday!!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 14th May 2011, 10:16 am

Hobby holiday sounds like a good plan, Pol!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd May 2011, 11:59 am

Finally glued up the shoe rack yesterday.  I though of letting you guess what I was making, but to be honest the number of horizontal dowels in the final glue-up meant I didn't have enough glue open time to be messing around with the camera !
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Srack10

The dowels that make "shelves" for the shoes are re-cycled from a broken stairgate.  The lid opens to store gloves, hats etc.  I'm quite pleased with the top - to keep it flat without eating into the storage space with cleats on the bottom, I've gone for breadboard ends - the end cheeks have 3 mortices which accept tenons on the ends of the main part of the top; the centre mortice is snug, the outer two are elongated slightly to allow the top to swell and shrink with the weather without splitting.  I doubt you can see inthe picture but  3 square pegs go through the tenons, the middle one a snug fit, the outer 2 again into slotted holes in the tenons to allow movement.

I made a simple friction stay from a couple of strips of scrap stainless steel to hold the lid open;  the friction is provided by a pivot formed by a bolt with a domed nut and spring washer connecting the two strips with a plumber's fibre washer between to provide friction.

I'm still pondering what type of varnish to use ...

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 8th July 2011, 2:17 pm

This weeks WIP (work in progress) is a large mirror to match the above. I've gone for a sort of "shaker" style in the same beech. Aside from the initial rip sawing to width. I've stuck with hand tools. Since the frame is wider than my sash clamps are long, I've taken the idea of a ->drawbore<- to pull the mortice and tenon joint at each corner together, but with square pegs to match those I used to fix the breadboard ends on the top of the shoe rack. Once planed flush the ends of the pegs should make a nice decorative feature. Will try to get a photo when it's done !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lottie 8th July 2011, 2:22 pm

I may have to kidnap you... Twisted Evil that shoe rack is wonderful! Honestly, if you could see the pile of shoes the kids have artistically arranged in a heap.. Rolling Eyes Wink
Lottie
Lottie

http://www.lilypads.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 8th July 2011, 2:37 pm

I second what Lottie said, with the slight caveat that to tidy up our hallway shoe clutter it would need to be about 18ft long, as we are reaching Imelda Marcos proportions here.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 11th July 2011, 2:44 pm

Lottie wrote:Honestly, if you could see the pile of shoes the kids have artistically arranged in a heap.. Rolling Eyes Wink

You've done some training presumably to get to the arranged heap stage. Mine scattered them all over the hall floor, especially at the foot of the stairs - comfy place to sit and take them off. Looks a lot tidier now, well worth the bother. C-H jnr seems to like using it.

Billy has correctly spotted the limitation - it can never be big enough, but it is as big as space allows. This, incidentally, is a great advantage of making your own furniture - efficient use of space. We've been looking for years now for a bookshelf / drawers thingy to fit in a space in the front room; I can picture exactly what I want but can't find it. I'm resigned to making one, though it will be a big job for me. Perfect excuse then to buy the new workbench and set of bigger sash clamps I've been hankering after for a while ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Empty Makeshift woodturning

Post by Chilli-head 10th October 2011, 10:40 am

Oops :
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Cs110

Never leave candles unattended, especially when they are in handmade wooden holders !  I was given these to fix, but I don't have a lathe, or space for one ...
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Cs210

...Now I do, admittedly not a very great one - yes, it is a drill stand clamped horizontally to a workmate, with a lump of old pallet as a tool rest.  A flat wood bit serves as the live centre, and a bolt from an old MFI cabinet which happened to have a pointy end make the dead centre.  Some none too precious Silverline carving chisels do as tools.

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 2 Cs310

And there we go. Not a perfect colour match because the original wood has faded, but left in a sunny place for a few weeks it will hopefully fade to match.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st November 2011, 11:33 am

What did I do in the workshop over the weekend ? Started re-organising it. Drains, shelves, storage space ... nothing you'd want to see a photo of, believe me, but hopefully it will mean I will have space for a shiny new woodwork bench around christmas time Cool

Now to write that letter to Santa ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_sfstk8d 21st November 2011, 8:05 pm

Help! Seen and ad on Craigslist for a Stanley No. 80 spokeshave in GREAT shape for only $20 (roughly a tenner UK?). Please tell me not to buy it, as I can't even do woodworking all winter in the apartment!
mr_sfstk8d
mr_sfstk8d

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next