A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Hca_button

What have I done in the workshop today?

+15
Adrian
justin.sanford.9469
Mike
freebird
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Lottie
budburst12
mr_sfstk8d
Chilli-head
mark barker
Sparhawk
polgara
Dandelion
Compostwoman
Hairyloon
19 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by Chilli-head 16th January 2013, 9:38 am

Our posts crossed there. I am willing to take the risk of getting bored Wink - do let us see some more of your creations !

Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What have I done in the workshop today?

Post by justin.sanford.9469 16th January 2013, 6:53 pm

Chilli-head wrote:Very nice. Lots of questions ! Is the wood carved green or seasoned (or somewhere inbetween !) ? The burr - is it an inlaid veneer, or a thicker solid inset piece going all way through ?

And can you tell us more about the decoration of the second - indeed more about yourself, is there a reason you use the traditional Sami pattern ?

the wood is carved when green ,it is so much easier ,i only use a knife and a crook knife for the bowl of the spoons,the burr is an inlaid thin piece of burr cut from a piece.
The decoration is a fave of mine,no lapish links ime wiltshire born and bred. I am a bushcrafter amongst other things and the bushcraft scene is heavily influenced by Scandinavian and boreal cultures especially the indigenous sami of Lapland.
I am blessed by the ability to visualise things i want to make and so spend no end of time making stuff from scrimshaw to wood carving ,flytying to cooking,ime not brilliant at them all by any means!

justin.sanford.9469
justin.sanford.9469

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 16th January 2013, 9:11 pm

Really brill. a+
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd January 2013, 10:27 am

I was planning to be pole lathe turning at Wimpole on Sunday, but the weather suggested otherwise and I chickened out.  Instead I set up the lathe with the bungee indoors and did a bit of turning.

A bracelet in cherry wood, with a Celtic twist:
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Bangle10

I cut a round of wood, about 1 1/4" thick,  from a ~6" diameter log using my new toy - a Thomas Flinn One man crosscut saw. Drilled a hole through the middle to fit it on a mandrel, then turned off a ring with the lathe.  I then drilled 10 holes spaced evenly round the ring, and cut notches top and bottom half way between the holes to rough out the shape.  I finished it off in the living room in front of the woodburner during the evening, with my Flexcut knife.

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 21st February 2013, 4:22 pm

Well, not in the workshop exactly. The weather was beautiful last Sunday, and so we - Wimpole lathers - were outdoors, and had a very pleasant day woodworking - there are some pictures here on Simon's blog. (Simon is the one with the big axe Smile )
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 25th March 2013, 4:47 pm

All this sitting about like a useless thing waiting for my arm to heal finally got to me yesterday. I just had to make something. So, I went to the workshop and made - a large clipboard, so that I can draw up some designs for a Mk2 pole lathe, and the cabinet for the living room. Not exactly fine woodworking - a bit of left handed sawing and trimming with the block plane. But at least I can get on planning and get a timber cutting list drawn up.

Two weeks to go .. I feel like I should be chalking up a tally of the days on the wall ...
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 25th March 2013, 9:04 pm

Ah! Not planing but planning...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd April 2013, 1:35 pm

Phew. Time to blow the dust off the bench and start making something. First job is to get the MK2 pole lathe together before the Bodger's ball. I'm working tentatively, and in short bursts at the moment because my wrist still gets rather sore if I overdo it. Hoping to be turning again next weekend, with a bit of luck.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th May 2013, 7:51 pm

Fixed my MK3 pole lathe treddle, which I broke making stool legs at the Bodger's ball. The metal hinges I used failed, so I've replaced them with some nylon webbing cloth hinges, hopefully they will last longer.

Following a lengthy chat with the cross cut sawyers at the BB, I resharpened my Thomas Flinn crosscut saw with a sensible fleam angle. Now the burning season is over, my mind is turning to burning wood supplies for next winter, so I spent some time fiddling with my log piles, and sawing up anything too big for the stove. And the tips I got last weekend made for sawing with a lot less sweat.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Empty Bank holiday at work

Post by stephen Critchley 27th May 2013, 7:02 pm

I've just taken the opportunity to have a clear up today while it's quiet, give the banker a clear down (stone masons bench from old French banc). And sharpen all my chisels ready for tomorrows marble carving.
stephen Critchley
stephen Critchley

http://sjcritchley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th May 2013, 10:07 am

What are you working on at the moment?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen Critchley 28th May 2013, 10:11 am

An Italian style fountain, a Bath stone fire surround with egg and dart detail and an Italian marble fire surround with archaic scene. Should keep me out of mischief.
stephen Critchley
stephen Critchley

http://sjcritchley.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 28th May 2013, 2:26 pm

..and what are you working on in the afternoon???

Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 19th June 2013, 8:12 pm

I'm working on an end-grain beech carving board for meat at the moment, the type with a groove carved around it, and a well to collect the juices.  I'm trying to do it entirely by hand tools, which is both challenging and laborious ... I'll post a photo if the result is any good !
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 30th July 2013, 3:27 pm

I finished off building a shave horse last night. Mine is neither quite a Mike Abbot lumber horse, or entirely from hewn green wood.  I used what I had to hand, so there are turned green ash parts, sawn Turkey oak bits, and some pine for the larger pieces to keep it portable. As I was making it, C-H jnr was asking me what I was doing.  Interestingly, he has a D-K book "A farm through time", and in there, at about 1000AD, is a picture with a shave horse looking almost exactly like mine ! He always thought I was a bit behind the times, now he's sure of it crylaugh 
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th July 2013, 10:48 pm

Brilliant!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 7th August 2013, 3:43 pm

Now that the busiest of the growing season is over, it's time to get back to the workshop jobs list.

Top of the list is a clock for the living room. I've drawn up my design, inspired by the wooden patterns used to form sand moulds for the casting of iron. Making these was quite a skilled trade that features in my familiy history, and means I need to learn some new skills. And acquire a few new tools. I've tidied up some old gouges from e-bay, and because there are so many curved parts, I need a wooden frame or bow saw. Now I could just buy one, but - I've a nice bit of quarter-sawn English Wych Elm looking for a use ....

I may get around to starting the actual clock some time.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th August 2013, 8:15 pm

Those frame saws are quite historic, aren't they? I seem to remember there is one in Holman's Hunt's painting of Jesus asa boy in the carpenter's workshop, but I have a feeling they go back way before that (Before Holman Hunt, not Jesus...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 9th August 2013, 12:16 pm

Actually, I think that they predate either, in the sense that they were used in Hellenistic Greece. I guess because they are a good, simple but effective design. Unlike the modern garden centre bow saw, which relies on spring in the steel frame to tension the blade. Simple yes, effective no. I have yet to find one that can be made to cut in the direction you want it to ! They usually can't exert enough tension, and the tooth line of the blade is quite a way below the fixing holes, so that keeping the blade straight is like trying to balance a pencil on you finger - it wants to flop one way or the other, not stay straight !

Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 22nd August 2013, 7:39 pm

Finished my saw last night:
What have I done in the workshop today? - Page 4 Turnin11

I'm particularly pleased that I could make it with just junk box stuff, and entirely with hand tools, except for a pillar drill to make the holes for the pins that hold the blade.  The wood is from a wych elm which once stood by the hall at Wimpole estate.

It will take hacksaw blades, but the one you see I made by hand using steel fron an old worn out hardpoint saw, shaped with a hacksaw and saw file.  Lots of patience needed !

Last edited by Chilli-head on 31st May 2018, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 22nd August 2013, 10:23 pm

That is just beautiful - I hope it's as nice to use as it looks.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 23rd August 2013, 3:12 pm

Yes, it's beautifully crafted. I can't quite work out how you use it. Does the string at the top tighten up to put more tension on the blade?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 23rd August 2013, 3:45 pm

You've got it. The string at the top is a couple of turns - in this case, of ordinary cotton string from the kitchen drawer. I think hemp cord might be more traditional. The tightening stick or toggle is slid up a bit so that it can be turned without hitting the frame, twisting the string and tensioning the blade. To stop it unravelling. slide the toggle to one end so that it stops against the frame. The frame is all held together by the tension - there is no glue; a tenon on each end of the horizontal bar goes into a mortice in each vertical. The mortice is cut a bit long, and a curved shoulder allows some pivoting, so the saw can accomodate a bit of variability in blade length.

The two handles, and the blade, can be rotated in the frame to saw at any orientation. Because it is a narrow blade, you can saw gentle curves.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th August 2013, 9:47 am

It's beautiful!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th September 2013, 4:08 pm

I've been kept out of the workshop by family togetherness (Rolling Eyes) , then a cold for the past week, but hope to get back to work the coming weekend. I am still working on my clock.  Cutting the curvy bits out of 1 1/4" oak with the saw was quite easy !  Very pleased with it.  Lots more shaping and joining to do yet though.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 6th November 2013, 10:46 am

I've got distracted from my clock on to making a christmas gift for another woodworker. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag too much before christmas, but it needed a blade hardened and tempered ... now getting the thing to red heat and quenching in oil is a job for outdoors. But to temper it, the whole thing needs to be heated to a uniform ~210C. Tricky with a blowtorch or charcoal fire. But easy if you decamp to the kitchen, and into the oven with it ! Ten minutes in a hot oven - gas mark 6-7, then let cool.

I did mention that Mrs C-H is remarkably tolerant, didn't I ?
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next