A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Hca_button

Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months?

5 posters

Go down

Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Empty Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months?

Post by Compostwoman 17th April 2010, 11:59 pm

HAve just found a fermenting bin from Oct 09, which still has the fruit, yeast etc mix in ....which would have been transferred to djs after a week but got overlooked... Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Icon_redface

the stuff looks and tastes ok, but has been in a lidded bucket for 6 months "on the fruit" rather than having been decanted into djs with an airlock after a week or so....

so ..........is it even worth syphonning off the liquid or should we just chuck it....it lookes and tastes ok..but am a bit concerned as it has been sitting over the fruit/yeast/sugar mix for 6 months now....in a fermenting bucket with a lid...but not with an airlock...so may not have been under a positive pressure of CO 2

I have never left wine that long, before like that...hence my questionning......
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Empty Re: Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months?

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 8:21 am

Compostwoman wrote:
the stuff looks and tastes ok,

The stuff is okay.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Empty Re: Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months?

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2010, 10:46 am

Really? You think it will be fine?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 10:59 am

If it tastes nice and there's alcohol in it, what more do you want?
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2010, 3:50 pm

yes but lots of things can taste quite good and actually still make you ill? if they are off?

I was more wanting a bit of reassurance that, if left sitting on the original mixture of damsons, (stone in) plus sugar plus yeast..., for the last 6 months, that it wouldn't be something which might look and taste ok but might actually make us ill..

As originally it wouldn't have been very alcoholic until the yeasts really got going on the sugar...so not much preservation going on...

I was wondering if anyone had done this and found the resulting wine was ok ( both from a drinking AND a health view point)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 4:57 pm

Yes I have left stuff sitting on fruit for a year or more and suffered no ill effects (other than those caused by overconsumption) from drinking the results.
TBH the only ill effects I have had from drinking fermented products however dodgily made has been the occasional laxative effect. Distilled stuff is another matter. I would test the alcohol content, and then stick it in a fermenting vessel until satisfied all fermentation has stopped, then rack and bottle as normal. When it comes to drinking it, if still in doubt, have a small glass and see what effect it has. If it makes you hurl or has other ill-effect chuck it away. if not imbibe to your hearts content.
If you want, bring a bottle down here when you come akittening and I'll be the guinea pig.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 18th April 2010, 4:58 pm

Has it turned to alcohol?
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2010, 5:40 pm

Don't know the SG of the original mix ( was CM, not me...!)

so no idea if it is alcoholic or not..but had a small sip and it smells and tastes of alcohol IYKWIM

It was mainly because it was in a bucket rather than in a Dj, all this time...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 6:01 pm

It's fine. If you really don't want it, give it all to me. I'll drink pretty much anything.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 18th April 2010, 6:26 pm

Laughing
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2010, 6:35 pm

Noooooo.. Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Icon_biggrin .but I will bring a bottle when I see you...

Have just tried some of the 2007 vintage cider....my word its nice.. better than 2008..!

I think this year is going to be good for top fruit, if the blossom on our trees is anything to go by! (if we don't have a late frost...)

Thanks for the re assurance..its not something I have ever done before, so I don't have the experience to judge if its ok..IYKWIM..

and judging by the lack of any hits when I type in the query ...its not something many people do , either ( or maybe they just do not own up to it.... Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Icon_redface )

When *I* make wine, we know exactly what strength it is, it gets racked off etc etc ...

lets just say CM has a more....relaxed approach, shall we... Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Herz
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 7:21 pm

I like the sound of CM.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th April 2010, 9:08 pm

funny, so do I... Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Icon_biggrin

He is all for " rack it off and drink it.".. Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? Icon_biggrin

Anyway...ta for the help, it confirmed what we were both thinking...

IF I go off line, never to return, due to poisoning....I SHALL come back and haunt you, though.... Wine mix left in fermenting vessel for 6 months? 73291
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th April 2010, 9:34 pm

I always pour a small measure on the ground for the ghosts of drinking buddies passed. Of which there are too many.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 28th August 2010, 9:02 pm

Well have just bottled this up, it has been in DJ's as it kept on having the odd "bloop" until a month or so ago.

My word! Judging by the numbness of my lips and the slight giddyness, it is VERY strong, and we only tried a sample glass between us! No idea of actual strength because CM doesn't "do" taking the SG or stuff like that...

It has a port like "burn" quality but is absolutely delish. Honey coloured, clear, faint aroma of raisins and plums and apricots, oddly? and indeed it tastes like an Auslese ( sp?) , (where the grapes are allowed to shrivel and get "noble rot")

I wonder if we have inadvertantly re created similar conditions? Very Happy

Anyway, is delish and we have 20 bottle of the stuff, so many thanks to those (mainly Billy) who reassured me it would be ok

Assuming I wake up, tomorrow, that is... Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC 29th August 2010, 2:16 pm

Sounds yummy - just a shame you didn't try it before we visited! Wink

Mrs C
MrsC
MrsC
Homemade Moderator

http://www.beingmrsc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 29th August 2010, 8:52 pm

Compostwoman wrote:
It has a port like "burn" quality but is absolutely delish. Honey coloured, clear, faint aroma of raisins and plums and apricots, oddly? and indeed it tastes like an Auslese ( sp?) , (where the grapes are allowed to shrivel and get "noble rot")

I wonder if we have inadvertantly re created similar conditions? Very Happy

I have spent some time "studying" the effect of noble rot on grapes and wines .. drunk2

Is you wine slightly oxidised - like sherry ? I assume there is some residual sugar (from the Auslese comparison).
I think that by fermenting in a not completely sealed bucket, the small amount of air contact can sometimes allow the yeast to survive to higher alcohol concentrations.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 29th August 2010, 11:39 pm

Yes. very pale sherry colour and aroma...not much oxidation could have occurred as the lid "sucked down" and " ballooned up" depending on what was going on in the bucket, so was a pretty good seal BUT yes, some air must have got in...as it was just an ordinary lidded brew bucket.

.also I have remembered ( after talking it over at the lunch table with CM today, along with Elen Sentier and her OH)...that the plums were from the freezer, split and had been dusted with icing sugar on the cut surfaces ( as we do with all the freezing plums)

AND were from an exceptionally sweet plum year!

The yeast was a 14 % wine one, and I rather think we have inadvertantly created a WONDERFUL fruit wine...which is very alcofrolic

Of course I suspect we couldn't repeat it, if we tried lol!

Anyone who comes to the next Compostfest ( hopefully in Oct , half term?? or thereabouts...)

will get to drink some...also the really delish cider we have just ( yesterday) racked off which is really nice...
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down