A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Hca_button

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson...

5 posters

Go down

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Empty How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson...

Post by Sparhawk 25th May 2010, 2:19 am

At the hall where we have band practice, about 6 months ago they created a nice little pond, nothing lavish, just kitchen sink size, they did so well it was looking nice & left to its own devices in time would have been an asset to the local wildlife...

Tonight I went to have a look as I do most weeks & to my horror they have bought in some plants, one of which was "Parrot Feather".

Unfortunately this is so invasive it is horrible, there are moves to try to get it banned in the UK but it is freely available & sold as a good oxygenator, but it does so much damage, & the smallest slither can creat its own plant. In the world of ponds it is probably worse than Japanese knot weed.

Please if you are creating your own pond, or refurbishing an existing one only use native plants, if you do have parrot feather remove it leave it on the side of the pond for a day & then burn it, don't compost as it will take over your compost bin.

If you are unsure what it looks like here is a linky:

http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/advice/problempondplants/nonnativeplants/parrotsfeather.htm
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Empty Re: How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson...

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 25th May 2010, 7:18 am

Send it to me. I've bought bunches of it in the past and none of it has survived. Looks like I had a lucky escape How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Icon_biggrin

Didn't realise it was such a nasty as it looks so pretty
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Empty Re: How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson...

Post by Sparhawk 25th May 2010, 9:10 am

You certainly did AJB it took the YSS ages to clear the big pond we look after, which is how we also know about not putting it in the compost bin... How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... 43030
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 26th May 2010, 10:34 pm

I must admit I was as upset as Sparhawk over the little pond. It was such a sweet thing & there were habitats & flowers all round it. We were so hopeful that it would all take to be an interesting little place, but some of the parrot feather has already been broken so it will be a long job & unfortunately we do not see the people who look after it. It also looked as if the weed was purchased from somewhere so in spite of the warnings it is still available

🇳🇴
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 26th May 2010, 10:47 pm

What a shame...we have the same problem with Ludvigia Peploides in our pool...the previous owners put it in the pool and we have had to suffer trying to keep it under control ever since...it is a HUGE problem in Rice paddies apparently...and we have really just settled on control as we cannot eradicate ...

BUT it is STILL available to buy as a "desirable" pond plant..... How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Icon_rolleyes
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 30th May 2010, 10:27 am

I was looking at some information last night & came up with this:

Even tiny fragments of the invasive plants wipe out habitats,

(a fragment about 1/2 the size of a little fingernail can in time wipe out even a big pond).

Some figures:

More than 60% of invasive plants damaging the environment have originated from gardens.

The damage caused by them is estimated at £2 billion pounds to the economy.
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 30th May 2010, 3:45 pm

There was a news item in the week about a buyer who was turned down for a mortgage by his building society because the property had Japanese knot weed growing in the garden. (Sorry, off the subject of ponds, but keeping to the theme of invasive weeds!)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 30th May 2010, 3:55 pm

Again, something you should call the professionals in for I believe, as in the local council.
Pol
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 30th May 2010, 10:38 pm

polgara wrote:Again, something you should call the professionals in for I believe, as in the local council.
Pol

How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Icon_redface Oops sorry Pol hit the edit button instead of quote... How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Icon_redface

I tried to say unless you are on the Isle of Wight, as they aren't bothered..
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5th June 2010, 6:01 pm

Thanks for the link to the pond conservation site Sparhawk!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 5th June 2010, 6:09 pm

Yer velcolm... How To Ruin A Lovely Pond In One Easy Lesson... Icon_cool
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down