A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Oak Leaf wine. Hca_button

Oak Leaf wine.

3 posters

Go down

Oak Leaf wine. Empty Oak Leaf wine.

Post by chickenofthewoods 8th June 2010, 9:23 am

I have some very lively fermentation going on with this which is a new one to me but has a good reputation for producing a good, dry white. Anyone else tried making it?

I'm also experimenting with hawthorn blossom and some oregon grape. The hawthorn is lovely and pale and the ferment is really good (I guess that's largely from the pollen in the flowers), the oregon grape has the most fantastic deep burgundy colour so I have high hopes although they are really sharp so the recipe called for an awful lot of sugar.
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Oak Leaf wine. Empty Re: Oak Leaf wine.

Post by Guest 10th June 2010, 5:45 pm

We were going to try Oak leaf beer...but haven't. Would be interested in the result Co'woods.
We have mountains, well trees of morello cherries. Have you ever make wine from these? Not sure how much suger to try as I think they are considered sour but we think they are sweet!

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenofthewoods 10th June 2010, 8:04 pm

Oooh. Cherries. To be honest I usually steep my local wilding cherries (which are mostly black ones) in brandy, partly because I've never had quite enough to try experimenting with wine, and partly because I love eating cherries and putting them into brandy does double duty - it preserves them for later use in pies, ice cream etc., & gives me a nice deep coloured cherry brandy to sip at too. I don't add sugar either, many recipes seems to add too much of it for my tastes anyway. I leave everything to blend and only add sweetening if it's needed when I'm ready to use the contents of the preserving jar - & it usually doesn't!

You've intrigued me with oak leaf beer, never heard of that before do you have a recipe for it? One thing I am about to have a try at is making an oak leaf version of beech leaf noyau. The reasoning is simply that while making the wine I noticed that the aroma of the leaf liquor was very similar to that of beech leaf noyau so it's all rather based on a hunch & purely experimental. I'll let you know if it works out (fingers crossed it won't be god-awful).

I'll see if I can rustle up a decent cherry wine recipe for you from my book-mountain. Oak Leaf wine. Icon_smile
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Rosie 11th June 2010, 1:10 pm

I have not made anything with oak leaves but I have bottled a litre of beech leaf noyau (leaves steeped in gin then sweetened and a dash of brandy added)
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

http://www.eco-gites.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 11th June 2010, 2:17 pm

Don't oak leaves have quite a lot of tannin, in them?
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11th June 2010, 5:59 pm

You need the tannin for a full flavoured wine. I think you have to pick the leaves when they first appear.

Well I can not find the Beer recipe so now I'm wondering.... Ben Law's Woodland Way has oak leaf wine so Wood Troll thinks I've imagined the beer recipe. I'll wake him up a 2am when I remember where I saw it!! Oak Leaf wine. Icon_lol Oak Leaf wine. Icon_eek

Back to top Go down

Post by chickenofthewoods 11th June 2010, 8:38 pm

Zoe wrote: Ben Law's Woodland Way has oak leaf wine so Wood Troll thinks I've imagined the beer recipe. I'll wake him up a 2am when I remember where I saw it!! Oak Leaf wine. Icon_lol Oak Leaf wine. Icon_eek

Please don't tell him it was my fault! Oak Leaf wine. Icon_lol

Yep, young fresh leaves that are still soft are in this one - I think the snowy start to the year threw everything seriously out of wack around here as a lot of the younger trees are still chucking out new growth when I would have usually expected it to be hardening off and stopping by this time of year. That said, the Jack Keller webby has another recipe that calls for old, end of year leaves (apparently from good old CJJ Berry!). There's a cherry wine recipe on that site too, and while I think of it the Grape Stomper website also has a good selection of cherry variations that you might find interesting. http://www.grapestomper.com/reccherry.html

Green Rosie, I've done the beech leaf noyau thing for a few years now and really like it. Have you ever tried it with young copper beech leaves though? The two brews taste remarkably different, it's worth giving a go if you get the chance. It even picks up a little of the colour as you can see.

Oak Leaf wine. GreenbeechnoyauA Oak Leaf wine. RedbeechnoyauA

Anyway, the oak leaf noyau experiment begins today so I'll let you know what it's like in about 3 months time!
chickenofthewoods
chickenofthewoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Rosie 13th June 2010, 7:26 pm

I did wonder about copper beech but there is none around here - next year I'll have to look further afield and see which I prefer.
Green Rosie
Green Rosie

http://www.eco-gites.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down