A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation Hca_button

The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation

3 posters

Go down

The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation Empty The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation

Post by Adrian 8th June 2010, 11:14 am

I have recently started following this and am strangely drawn to their primal and slightly apocalyptic philosophy, any thoughts?

1. We live in a time of social, economic and ecological unravelling. All around us are signs that our whole way of living is already passing into history. We will face this reality honestly and learn how to live with it.

2. We reject the faith which holds that the converging crises of our times can be reduced to a set of‘problems’ in need of technological or political ‘solutions’.

3. We believe that the roots of these crises lie in the stories we have been telling ourselves. We intend to challenge the stories which underpin our civilisation: the myth of progress, the myth of human centrality, and the myth of our separation from ‘nature’. These myths are more dangerous for the fact that we have forgotten they are myths.

4. We will reassert the role of story-telling as more than mere entertainment. It is through stories that we weave reality.

5. Humans are not the point and purpose of the planet. Our art will begin with the attempt to step outside the human bubble. By careful attention, we will reengage with the non-human world.

6. We will celebrate writing and art which is grounded in a sense of place and of time. Our literature has been dominated for too long by those who inhabit the cosmopolitan citadels.

7. We will not lose ourselves in the elaboration of theories or ideologies. Our words will be elemental. We write with dirt under our fingernails.

8. The end of the world as we know it is not the end of the world full stop. Together, we will find the hope beyond hope, the paths which lead to the unknown world ahead of us.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation Empty Re: The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation

Post by Mike 8th June 2010, 1:32 pm

Very good.

If I have any criticism it would be with the last line of "3" where the term "myth" is used with it's two different meanings within the same sentence.

"These myths are more dangerous for the fact that we have forgotten they are myths."

These myths are dangerous not because they are untrue but because the "truths" they express are not those of a society able to live in balance with the Earth. Goes to the heart of the purpose of "myths", what are they and their role in defining human cultures. Look at "4". It's not a matter of doing away with "myths" as it is of changing to different myths, ones by which we can live in balance.

PS: re the "Dark Mountain Project" --- could you give the reference/link? I might want to post this to another place.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation Empty Re: The Dark Mountain Project - The eight principles of uncivilisation

Post by Mike 8th June 2010, 1:45 pm

Never mind. I found it. And printed off the PDF of the manifesto (warning to those of you who try to read it on the site, very trying, or at least is is for me with my less than perfect color vision).
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 8th June 2010, 1:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 8th June 2010, 3:52 pm

I should add that my current thoughts lean towards Home made life having a focus on post civilisation skill sets, we are half way there with a lot of topics, but I am considering firming it all up with a specific section with discussions and articles - thinks like making shingles, making nails, water purification, maybe we can persuade the meat eaters among us to discuss dressing carcasses etc.

Stuff that I guess is discussed on survival sites, but I want to go beyond the idea of Prepping and Bug out kits and look at how we can make ourselves and local communities workable.

My reasoning is based on the current "green"activism seems to be based around selling eco products or dabbling around making people feel better about their consumption rather than tackling anything of substance. For instance the Guardians Environment section has recently run tiny "articles" on; Cutting-edge sustainable design, What's the carbon footprint of ... a heart bypass operation? and Can I go camping and be green?

I mean, serious stuff yeah? Little wonder folk are abandoning environmentalism as a bad job.

Any thoughts on this folks?
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 8th June 2010, 5:30 pm

Bringing this together with a parallel thread, I'm still thinking about some of the ideas from the programme 'How to Live a Simple Life', and have started to read about Francis. What you said, Badger, made me think about Francis's symbolic gesture of undressing and giving back to his father all his clothes, to show that from this point he wanted nothing to do with his father's wealth. An all-or-nothing act, not merely dabbling, or trying to reconcile two ways of life. Maybe the world needs more people leading an all-or-nothing way of life(which would be costly...)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 8th June 2010, 5:38 pm

I know that he gets a lot of flak, but I have invited Mark Boyle to join us. His way of living is certianly unique and I understand what he is trying to accomplish, obviously it is not something that most of us could attempt, but I admire his balls for trying it and taking the flak he does from the naysayers.

I do think that it is important for us to examine the mythology of our current civilisation and how we can improve it to better our lives and those around us

To make radical decisions is easy, to act on them takes guts and determination and I want this forum to be a place that supports people making choices that are right for them. I certianly do not want us to become another green washed site that talks incessantly about carbon footprints or new eco products, yet produces nothing of merit to help people.

Sorry, a bit ranty today, but I think this is important
Adrian
Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10th June 2010, 6:13 pm

Badger wrote:I do think that it is important for us to examine the mythology of our current civilisation and how we can improve it to better our lives and those around us

I agree with this Badger.
I also note that John Seymour, Peter Owen Jones and also Satish Kumar are television presenters and journalists. There are many other people that are just doing things differently, quietly.
How do the masses change?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down