A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 62 on 10th April 2015, 8:24 am
Latest topics
» The September garden
by Ploshkin 18th September 2017, 3:03 pm

» Autumn planting vegetables
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 9:29 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 15th September 2017, 4:21 pm

» Wildlife cameras
by FloBear 9th September 2017, 11:53 am

» whats on the menu
by Dandelion 5th September 2017, 10:10 pm

» Insect hotel
by FloBear 31st August 2017, 10:07 pm

» seed saving
by freebird 29th August 2017, 1:49 pm

» Argh - how do you grow lettuce ?
by Ploshkin 26th August 2017, 9:40 pm

» Knitting in the round
by FloBear 19th August 2017, 1:41 pm

» What happened to the garden in August ?
by freebird 19th August 2017, 12:24 pm

» Greek "oily" green beans
by Ploshkin 18th August 2017, 7:33 pm

» This year's challenge
by Chilli-head 12th August 2017, 9:09 pm

» The Polytunnel
by freebird 8th August 2017, 10:44 pm

» What are you preserving today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:17 pm

» Masaledar Sem (spicy green beans)
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:11 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Ploshkin 31st July 2017, 11:02 pm

» No more petrol / diesel cars from 2040 ?
by FloBear 31st July 2017, 10:21 pm

» Hugelkultur
by FloBear 23rd July 2017, 9:50 am

» Who knows what the weather will bring on the plot in July ?
by Dandelion 20th July 2017, 7:32 pm

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 19th July 2017, 8:25 pm

Statistics
We have 631 registered users
The newest registered user is gseifrit

Our users have posted a total of 44702 messages in 2320 subjects
HML on FaceBook
RSS feeds

Donate to our Charity
The Homemade life supports Kiva - microloans for people in developing countries working to change their lives.  These loans are repaid to our KIVA account, so your donation is used many times to help different people - literally the gift that keeps on giving..

What books do you treasure the most

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: What books do you treasure the most

Post by The Original Pod on 21st November 2009, 3:46 pm

One of the saddest things I've ever witnessed was when we lived near Dunfermline. I was in a shop and a child asked it's mother if it could have a book and the mother replied in a very aggressive manner "Naw, yer naw ge''in' a book, ye cun huv a vide-uh". Sad What a scaff (pardon me for being so judgemental but grrr Evil or Very Mad ).

I have lots of books on crafts, gardening, a few cookery ones, that kind of thing. I hardly read any fiction any more - can't seem to get enough autobiographies Embarassed . Well, it takes me ages to read them because I, too, read when I go to bed and usually fall asleep.

My Dad was a great book lover and my Mum is left with a whole room filled floor to ceiling with books. My sister and I are going to have a huge job at some point in the future.

The Original Pod

Back to top Go down

Post by graemejane on 2nd January 2010, 6:19 pm

Ooh - good thread. I love my books - old books, new books, childrens books. I'm not the 'chief cook' in the house, but seem to have acquired a huge amount of cookery books. And though I don't have children, I have a shelf of childrens books - eBay and Amazon Marketplace are just soooo tempting. The Book People deliver to work (along with other similar companies) and also entice me through email, as do Amazon. Most weeks I will have a visit to Waterstones in Durham, just to browse - the book token left by Santa is burning a hole in my pocket!

For book lovers visiting 'up North' I'd really recommed a visit to Barter Books at Alnwick - absolute heaven for book lovers.

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

graemejane

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 2nd January 2010, 6:37 pm

I had several books for Christmas, but bestest & most useful will be the Readers Digest book Hints & Tips From Times Past. Have a look people it is brill. book
polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagpuss on 2nd June 2010, 8:45 am

I love all my books but I have a little collection of classics that are old and I just love the smell and feel of the paper. My favourites are ones with inscriptions inside, there's something so nice for me in having a book that has already been enjoyed by someone many years ago. I had one (which unfortunately got lost in our various house moves) which said something like 'to my dear Lavinia Culpepper..' and a further message which I can't remember and a date in the 1800's. It was a little bit of history as well as a good book.
Bagpuss

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 2nd June 2010, 3:02 pm

Not very original, I know, but Lord of the Rings will always have a special place in our family. OH and I read it when we were first married (he was one volume ahead of me), and we took our children to see it when the first film came out. Our son was involved in a very serious car accident a week later, and after several weeks on a life support machine, the steps were taken to turn the machine off. OH couldn't bear the thought that DS would never know the ending of LOTR, so told him the rest of the story while he was in a coma.

This isn't the place to tell the story in full, but the machine was never turned off because DS showed slight signs of life despite brain scans which were flat, and he made a full recovery. I can't remember much about the second LOTR film because I cried all the way through, because we didn't expect to be able to watch it together as a family.

................................................................................................................................
The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 2nd June 2010, 4:40 pm

Now you've made me cry, Dandelion. And I'm a grown man and its the middle of the day and I haven't had a single drink yet.
Although that is about to be remedied.
What a lovely story (well, obviously terrible in the first aspect but lovely in the happy ending and your OH reading the story).
Damnit I'm tearing up again. Where's that wine?

................................................................................................................................
www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 2nd June 2010, 4:49 pm

It still has that effect on me eight years later (the tears, not the wine...) and still seems an incredible thing to have lived through

The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly in the air like birds and swim in the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers and sisters.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 on 20th January 2013, 10:50 am

the darkover series of books by marion zimmer bradley i have read some
and managed to get some from ebay they are completely spellbinding.
terry pratchett is also very good . i like science fiction and fantasy
as well as historical
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green on 20th January 2013, 12:29 pm

Dandelion - I never read that story about your son over two years ago. wow. [i]

Haven't come across the Darkover books but the rest of the family are huge Pratchettt fans
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 20th January 2013, 12:52 pm

I read a lot of the posts before I joined this forum, but have never seen this one before. One of my most treasured books is one that was being thrown away from a public library, called Scented Flora of the World by Roy Genders. It's a kind of encyclopaedia of fragrant plants, with some fascinating information before the dictionary of plants. It's quite obviously the man's life's work, and written with love and a passion for his subject.

My other is a book called Nature Near London by Richard Jefferies. He was a Victorian naturalist and writer, and the book is a collection of essays he wrote for the newspapers of the time. Some of the writings are about places I walk in frequently (although they are never specifically identified). My copy holds a particular place in my heart because I loved the book so much, I had our local library copy on loan for over two and a half years. When I reluctantly had to return it, I wrote to the publisher to find out if it was still available, and they replied:
We are afraid that this book is now out of print. However, since you are obviously a Richard Jefferies fan and have had the library copy for so long, we enclose one of our two archive copies as we feel that it will remain in good hands. We hope you do not mind that it isn't new and will consider that £10 is acceptable. Yours sincerely etc
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 20th January 2013, 1:34 pm

That's a lovely story FB.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara on 20th January 2013, 10:27 pm

I like Darkover too & have most of the books. book

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Elenor Roosevelt

] Enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think...

So take care of yourself, be Happy, Love Deeply and enjoy life!

polgara
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid on 22nd January 2013, 1:34 pm

I love Richard Jefferies, Freebird. Bevis is one of my fave books from childhood.

www.killandcure.net/blog/
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 22nd January 2013, 3:40 pm

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:I love Richard Jefferies, Freebird. Bevis is one of my fave books from childhood.
Oooh, somebody else who has actually heard of Richard Jefferies! I confess, though, that I didn't enjoy Bevis, though I can see that it could appeal to a young lad. I prefer his observational writings and his commentary on them. Probably my favourite quotation, which adorns my kitchen roller blind overlooking the garden (where he may well have walked when it used to be farmland) "There is so much for us yet to come, so much to be gathered and enjoyed" along with "Every blade of grass, each leaf, each separate floret and petal is an inscription speaking of hope - they are one and all a sign and token showing before our eyes earth made into life".
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by warlock1 on 22nd January 2013, 5:50 pm

i also like bernard cornwell the sharpe series and the arthurian novels
have you ever read the tom sharpe series of books very funny
i challenge anyone to read them and not laugh.
warlock1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion on 22nd January 2013, 8:11 pm

freebird wrote:
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:I love Richard Jefferies, Freebird. Bevis is one of my fave books from childhood.
Oooh, somebody else who has actually heard of Richard Jefferies! I confess, though, that I didn't enjoy Bevis, though I can see that it could appeal to a young lad. I prefer his observational writings and his commentary on them. Probably my favourite quotation, which adorns my kitchen roller blind overlooking the garden (where he may well have walked when it used to be farmland) "There is so much for us yet to come, so much to be gathered and enjoyed" along with "Every blade of grass, each leaf, each separate floret and petal is an inscription speaking of hope - they are one and all a sign and token showing before our eyes earth made into life".
That's beautiful - no wonder you love the book.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird on 22nd January 2013, 8:16 pm

Dandelion wrote:That's beautiful - no wonder you love the book.
Actually, both those quotations are from another of his books, The Life of the Fields. But Nature Near London remains my favourite as he wrote about places I know.
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top