A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Pigs heads Hca_button

Pigs heads

5 posters

Go down

Pigs heads Empty Pigs heads

Post by GB 16th November 2009, 4:16 pm

How do you cook your pigs heads? All I have done with them so far is simmer till tender (about all DAY) and then the kids and I pick the meat off and eat it, fighting over who gets the biggest slice of the tongue Laughing

Poor hubby has to leave the house but we love it Twisted Evil

However, I have started wondering about other ways of fixing them as I just saw a foodie show that had pit roasted cows head as part of their winter feast and it looked GOOOOOOOOD dribble They had covered it with multi layers of foil and put it into the pit oven and covered with ash and then coals the night before so it was all scrummy for breakfast.

Now, THERE is a breakfast of champions :cheers:

Not quite ready to try it with a pig head, mainly as I havnt a pit oven (might put that on the to do list) but have started wondering how everybody else cooks their pig heads?

So go on, tell all Very Happy
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Pigs heads Empty Re: Pigs heads

Post by Wren 16th November 2009, 4:29 pm

GB, I used a Fergus Henderson recipe. I don't have the actual recipe, just followed what he did on a video snippet coupled with what the journalist wrote in his piece about it.

Sweat off 8 Shallots and 8 cloves of garlic in goose/duck fat until just beginning to colour, in a fairly deep roasting tin. Shave the hair from the pigs head. Cover the pigs ear with tin foil to prevent burning. Put the pigs head (half, cut side down) on top of the shallots etc. Add a slug of Brandy, 1/2 pint white wine, and chicken stock to almost cover the head. Cover it all loosely with greaseproof paper, and pop in a medium oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Take the pigs head out and set aside, then whisk in a good large spoonful of Dijon Mustard, add a couple of bunches of Watercress and stir to wilt down, serve the pigs head on the Watercressy pillow, cut up and eat..YUM!

Here is a linky, (click the word 'Here')
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Pigs heads Empty What I Did With That Pig's Head

Post by Wren 17th November 2009, 7:21 pm

OK, now yesterday I posted in response to a question about how do you cook your pigs heads.

Today I thought I'd share what we did with it with you.

Once the half head was cooked, we took ALL the meat off it, every bit. The ear was cut off and put to one side for our dog Blue, as was the snout, the Sweetbreads as neither of us like them, the eyeball, and various other chewy bits we didn't like the look of.

We both had a fair sized portion of the meat for our dinner with potatoes and veg and some of the sauce the head was cooked in. I have to say the meat was extremely tasty, a little fatty but that can easily be taken off.

I then divided up the rest of the meat into two of the larger sized chinese meal plastic containers, and covered them with the remaining sauce. These have been frozen, and will either be reheated as is, or I'll add some spices and turn one into a curry, and the other into a pie of some description.

The moral of this is, one half pigs head, has yielded 3 meals for two people, and a fair bit of enjoyment for our dog, for the princely sum of 50p plus 3 hours worth of Gas an onion and garlic, a slug each of white wine and brandy, and a couple of pints of stock.

If you think THAT's good, you should see what I can do with a 4lb Organic chook! Maybe I'll tell you about that another time. Wink
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th November 2009, 7:36 pm

What did you do with all the skin and cartilage, Wren?

Can't believe you gave the best bits to the dog. You soil that creature.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wren 17th November 2009, 7:42 pm

The skin we allowed to crisp up into lovely crackling and we ate it! lol! I didn't actually see very much cartilege, as Wren DH did the head shredding while I was at the vet.

I don't think he threw it away, I suspect some went into that spoiled dogs bowl, yes we DO spoil him, but I can't bear sweetbreads and neither can Wren DH, best SOMEONE ate it eh? :puppy:
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 17th November 2009, 8:08 pm

Ah, I didn't see your post of yesterday. So you roasted the head rather than boiling it?
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 17th November 2009, 8:27 pm

Just merged the two pig head threads to tidy things up, no off to get some fresh air and stop gagging..
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 17th November 2009, 9:24 pm

Badger wrote:Just merged the two pig head threads to tidy things up, no off to get some fresh air and stop gagging..

Why on earth would pigs heads make you gag Laughing

I like the idea of roasting one but sadly I havnt yet managed to dehair so I just skin the ones we eat. Really MUST give dehairing a try again.

50 cent a pigs head Shocked WOW, now THATS good value for money :flower:
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 17th November 2009, 9:32 pm

I have be a vegetarian for around 27 years GB - pigs heads (or any other part) tend to not appear in my larder..

Will leave you lovely omnivores to it hippy1
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 17th November 2009, 10:12 pm

Ah yes, that would do it. Wonder what my hubbies reason is Laughing
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wren 18th November 2009, 6:31 am

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid wrote:Ah, I didn't see your post of yesterday. So you roasted the head rather than boiling it?

Yup sort of Billy, it was more braised I think as it was semi submerged in the sauce.

We took the cover of GP Paper off early though and rather than let the skin JUST firm up and colour, we let it crackle..YUM!
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 18th November 2009, 5:28 pm

That sounds really nice Wren...I have no objection to eating pigs head at all...my mum used to make brawn ( much like Billy does..) but the smell makes me heave when it is boiling...cooking kidneys do as well

CM preps and cooks them while I hide until they are ready..I like EATING them, just not the smell 🤢
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 18th November 2009, 5:45 pm

Graefin Von R is the same, CW. She has to leave the house when I am boiling heads, and moans about the smell for days after. But is more than happy to eat them.

I have never managed to get decent crackling form any part of the pig except the back and leg joints - without a decent layer of fat underneath it just goes leathery then hard without crackling inbetween. The head skin particularly so, so hats off to you Wren. I might try your recipe next time I have a spare head.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

Back to top Go down

Post by Wren 18th November 2009, 6:03 pm

Embarassed Why thank you Wilhelm! It was mainly the skin around the cheek and towards the back of the head that crackled. There WAS a goodly layer of fat under that, but the rest was quite crispy as well.

I don't think you'll regret trying the recipe, we didn't have any watercress, or dijon mustard, used French, but it WAS tasty.
Wren
Wren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down