A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Christmas Customs - Page 2 Hca_button

Christmas Customs

+12
danksshady
flute
AngelinaJellyBeana
Sparhawk
Lottie
Adrian
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Dandelion
Hathorite
Compostwoman
mark barker
polgara
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Christmas Customs - Page 2 Empty Re: Christmas Customs

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 12th November 2010, 8:49 pm

I'd love a Christmas on my own, to laze around the house in my pyjamas just eating and drinking what I want without having to think about anyone else. Is that selfish?? I know I could do that any old weekend but then I'd never get anything done. Christmas is different

But guilt and family mean I do otherwise. I make the dinner so I know what I'm eating, and it's a bit much to expect my mum to cook for me, Lucy, Henry & his girlfriend and my nephew these days.

I still enjoy it though and we always have fun. I do put up a tree and greenery around the house and lots of fairy lights

Oh and of course.....watching the Dr Who Christmas Special in my PJs with a large Baileys

AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th November 2010, 10:24 pm

Oh yes to Dr Who...!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th November 2010, 10:30 pm

I agree with FC until the children say otherwise, none of ours have ever said they do not believe so it carries on which is a lot of fun.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th November 2010, 10:31 pm

I was quite surprised at Cg, Pol...I think it came about from a conversation with friends at school.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th November 2010, 10:36 pm

Yes I would have been too, I would think she should be in the "is it or isn`t true" stage.

Wait till you hear about our Christmas fairies!!
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th November 2010, 10:42 pm

Well she DID couch the question in a way which I sort of wondered " should I keep up the myth?" but looking at her face, I knew we had been rumbled..and I can't lie to my DD
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 12th November 2010, 10:47 pm

A really important thing is to tell the truth, but we always said make it fun for the young ones, that was the kids at work I might add.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 12th November 2010, 10:51 pm

trouble is, she reads so widely and is so advanced in reading skills that it is hard to know what she has read...........
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th November 2010, 8:19 am

Just remember though Saint Nicholas was probably a real person, so there is something to think about.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th November 2010, 2:08 pm

Have just found out that DD2 is coming home for a few days next week (don't tell MrD - it's a surprise for his birthday!) so we'll be able to start the festive proceedings - which is, that we all decide what we want to have as special food. The roast and Christmas pudding are taken as granted - we sit down together and make a list so that everyone has the things they specially want. (It also means I don't end up buying or making things which no-one eats!) We ususally end up with traditional things - Panettone, as MrD's family are Italian originally, but also things you might not expect. DD2 has a soft spot for summer pudding, so I ususally freeze fruit for that in the summer if it's required. Apart from that we don't do much until after DD2's birthday at the beginning of December.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th November 2010, 5:43 pm

Christmas Tree, who decorates yours?

I have decorated ours ever since I can remember, I choose a day when there is is a sloppy Christmas film on TV & make a start. It usually takes several days, not because it is big, but because I do it bit by bit. Always the lights first.

I have loads of decorations but some of the most useful are dressmakers beads & they drape really nicely.

To top it off, a star.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th November 2010, 6:05 pm

We decorate on the 21st, Cg and I do it, we try to have a real tree but have been known to decorate a branch!

Lots of home made decs here are used, some which were made by Cg when a small, small, some made by me, some which Cm and I bought25 years ago, some which we get at craft fairs etc.
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th November 2010, 6:11 pm

I had quite a lot given to me by the kids on my bus when I worked, & they always bring back memories. Some even date back to when I was a small. I often decorate some of the plainer decorations even if it is only with some glitter.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th November 2010, 6:18 pm

CW - Someone after my own heart - I much prefer the tree to be done just before Christmas, but I'm told by the younger generation that this is too late! When I was a teenager (yes, back in the Dark Ages...) I had a Saturday job in a little garden centre/ greengrocers. There were no special festive arrangements made until the week before the 25th, when the shop was decorated, and it did look lovely (in a gimcrack, greengrocery sort of way) especially just before closing time, when it was dark outside, and the shop window glowed with the citrus fruit piled up in it, and added sparkle. It just wears a bit thin for me when the decorations have been up for a month before Christmas.
I would prefer a real tree, but as it's not my domain I keep quiet. We have a lot of little red apple decorations that we've had for years, and little felt stockings to be filled with goodies (DD2 is lactose intolerant so we didn't have chocolate decorations when she was small)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th November 2010, 6:28 pm

COme over here then , we keep the decs up until 12th Night then they all come down. Smile

We put on a carol CD and have those german soft, choc covered gingerbread cakes ( can't think of the name...!) and spend th evening doing it.

Quite how I am going to manage this year, what with being crammed in the dining room and all, is beyond me. Shocked
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 13th November 2010, 6:39 pm

Just lost a big post, bother must now try & remember what I said LOL

Don`t put the tree up till at least a week into December, but I do get Spar to go into the loft & get the boxes down.

I remember a row of shops in the village I grew up in, particularly on a wet night just before Christmas, they shone & glittered so much & were ao pretty.

Decorations go up in stages, I still put up a crib as my Mother would have wanted it. Other things, ornaments & candles etc go up in stages. The main decorations have to wait for the fairies, but more of them later!!

I also get out my music books & go through a lot of Christmas tunes for my own enjoyment.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th November 2010, 6:46 pm

What ARE those yummy choc covered ginger cake things called? In shapes, hearts, doves etc and sometimes have apricot filling...

And NO they are not Jaffa cakes! (Although that maybe where the idea come from?)
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelinaJellyBeana 13th November 2010, 7:18 pm

Now, I do it on my own, usually about a week before Christmas. I have a big tree (artificial) and a small room Very Happy I do it late in the afternoon so by the time I've finished it's dark so I can switch the lights on
When Lucy & Henry were small they did what me and my sisters and brothers did and that was to carefully pick a decoration out of the box and take it in turns to hang it on the tree, with me putting the ones at the top (or my dad when I was little)

On Christmas Eve when they were in bed then I'd add the chocolate decorations so it was an extra surprise on Christmas morning (the same way my dad did for us)

Up until recently I had some of the decorations that we'd had when I was little but after last Christmas I passed them on to my niece
AngelinaJellyBeana
AngelinaJellyBeana
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 13th November 2010, 9:56 pm

Compostwoman wrote:What ARE those yummy choc covered ginger cake things called? In shapes, hearts, doves etc and sometimes have apricot filling...

And NO they are not Jaffa cakes! (Although that maybe where the idea come from?)

Are they lebkuchen?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 13th November 2010, 10:31 pm

YES! Thank you, Dandelion! I couldn't recall the name....have been trying all evening.... Very Happy
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 14th November 2010, 6:30 pm

Knowing that many of you have wood fires, how many of you keep the Yule log traditions?

In my decoration box there is a piece of charred wood from the last time we had an open fire for a Yule Log must be about about 30 years old. All ready for the next time we are in a position to use it to light a new fire.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Hathorite 14th November 2010, 7:06 pm

Wow, that's really awesome! I'd love to do something like that (crossing appendages for a wood fire again).

The best I could ever do was I remember we had a cut log when I grew up and we put candles in holes drilled into it and lit those. Somewhere along the line that tradition fell by the wayside, and sprog hasn't been safe around fire till recently, may stir it up again (but then have to worry about kittens)
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th November 2010, 11:18 am

polgara wrote:Knowing that many of you have wood fires, how many of you keep the Yule log traditions?

In my decoration box there is a piece of charred wood from the last time we had an open fire for a Yule Log must be about about 30 years old. All ready for the next time we are in a position to use it to light a new fire.

yes we do this too. Unfortunately, when I moved to london in 1974 we lost the piece of wood dad gave us from the chittlehampton fires - and no fires in London anyway. So our piece of wood comes from last year's fire each year. Our current tradtiion is only 10 years old so far as that's as long as we've been here. I love the custom. Our wood comes from a piece of our own ash tree - Gwydion's tree, and the best wood of all :-).

Hope yours goes well soon ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Compostwoman 15th November 2010, 12:38 pm

We have a bit of wood from last year's fire as well...and I have various natural wreaths made last yule which are added to the first fire this Yule...and then I go and make a few decorations which are kept until next year, to be added to the fire again.

I do this with the hop garlands and first corn dolly I make as well..

I think it is fascinating the amount of tradition we all keep up!
Compostwoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian 15th November 2010, 1:24 pm

Actually, It just occurred to me, I do have one Yule custom.

Each year, I buy just one handmade tree decoration to add to our collection. I would like to believe that I manage to knit a new jumper ornament each year as well - but I fail most winters because I am busy making other gifts.

On a tradition note, when I was youngling, my dad and I used to share a box of chocolate covered Brazil nuts each year. I miss that.
Adrian
Adrian
Founder and crotchety old git who wanders around in a threadbare dressing gown muttering

http://www.paradisepapercraft.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 15th November 2010, 3:46 pm

CW I like your idea real renewal if you see what I mean.

We always had a box of figs for my Dad & he would spend half his time cleaning all the little pips off his false teeth.

Also used to have a type of fondant cream that does not seem available now, used to buy it in the baccy/sweet shop called Finleys.

Perhaps you should buy a box of choc brazils & share them with LSS in memory of your Dad Badger.

Elen I think my piece of charred wood will passed on to Spar, as I think he is the one who will see to it. We have no chance of an open fire or a woodburner unless we win the lottery.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next