A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Grand day out - gardens to visit Hca_button

Grand day out - gardens to visit

4 posters

Go down

Grand day out - gardens to visit Empty Grand day out - gardens to visit

Post by Dandelion 11th December 2010, 11:01 pm

At Zoe's suggestion I'm kicking off a thread about gardens we've visited and enjoyed (or not....!)
In the wilds of Herefordshire, somewhere between Hereford and Ross on Wye is a house and garden called Howe Capel Court. The house dates from medieaval times, but is not open to the public. The gardens were restyled in Edwardian times, just before the outbreak of the first world war, and although one area was laid out much more recently, the effect is of a slightly neglected, wild, atmospheric garden where nature is taking over. It slopes down under huge trees and then leads you back up again by a series of quite steep terraces. There are features such as a sunken rose garden with pergolas round, but the roses were growing wild over everything, and the pond was choked with water lillies. We felt as though we were in a stage set for an Agatha Christie film and really wouldn't have been surprised if a group of people in Edwardian tennis outfits and straw boaters had walked past us. Except (joy of joys) we had the place to ourselves!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Grand day out - gardens to visit Empty Re: Grand day out - gardens to visit

Post by Hathorite 12th December 2010, 5:51 am

Got an English Heritage membership this year and hoping to get some use out of it again in the spring, but now I need something wheelchair/scooter accessible. Thankfully, most English Heritage sites have scooters you can rent out and now I've got a card I can use them for free! We've been to a few local gardens here in Wiltshire and Dorset and it's been some good times!
Hathorite
Hathorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Aberlemno 12th December 2010, 11:49 am

That sounds like a lovely day out Dandelion. I shall have to look out for it and perhaps have a special day out there this summer.

My favourite garden has to be the one at Powis Castle - it is absolutely STUNNING. Again, it's one I need to visit again before we move away. Does anyone else know it? http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/powis_castle_garden - though the link doesn't do it justice . . .

If you're down in Hampshire, please visit Mottisfont Abbey - it is the one place which gave me a deep and abiding love of old roses. Exbury is fabulous too (in the spring when all the azaleas and rhododendrons are out), and Hillier's gardens at Braishfield too. I've not visited the latter, but rode around one headland of the land when they were starting to plant it up back in the 1960s . . . We got chucked out! http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/gardens/search_results.cfm/searchcounty/Hampshire
Aberlemno

http://codlinsandcream2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kramer 13th December 2010, 2:38 pm

http://www.gardens-guide.com/gardenpages/_0049.htm

I loved Knebworth House & Gardens, Hertfordshire. I already loved Knebworth from a music point of view having seen Rammstein and Iron Maiden at this years Sonisphere Festival, and in the past I saw Oasis perform here. As I pass the grounds everyday on my way to work I thought I should see what it is like and so my partner and son went one damp Saturday. Knebworth House has been home to the Lytton family for more than 500 years. It is set within 250 acres of parkland with herds of Red and Sika deer. The deer roam free and are quite impressive, they can be tempermental though so keep a safe distance.

The gardens were peaceful on the day we visited and feature the Lutyens - pollarded Lime designed avenues, a walled kitchen garden, the Gertrude Jekyll Herb Garden, the Rose Garden, the sunken lawn complete with formal lily ponds and a mixture of modern bush roses and older shrub roses. The victorian maze, was reinstated in 1995, using box and yew. There are two ponds, one ornamental and one wild. Restoration of the Horace Garden started in 1999, and in this area is an evergreen oak, given by Queen Victoria to her godson, Victor, 2nd Earl of Lytton, on his coming of age.

There is so much to see and do, the following is quoted from Gardens Guide link attached - 'The Wilderness, dating from Victorian times, is a 7 acre area of fine ornamented trees, include Californian redwoods, the tallest cut - leafed silver birch in the UK, and a 'snowdrop tree'. In spring it is a carpet of Daffodils. It also contains 72 life-size dinosaurs.

In the Jekyll Herb Garden, The 'Quincunx' pattern and planting was first designed by Gertrude Jekyll in 1907 but was not laid out until 1982. The ornamental vegetable and culinary herb garden in the Walled Garden, was designed in 1999 and laid out in 2000.

The structure and layout of the present garden, is mainly Edwardian - designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens between 1908 - 1911, but this overlays an earlier elaborate Victorian design by Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, laid out from 1846 onwards. The earliest records of a garden at Knebworth date back to 1700s. Since the 1980's a programme of restoration and development has been under way, funded by the Knebworth House Education and Preservation Trust. This led to the restoration of many of the more important historic elements of the garden and new contemporary features and plantings. Each generation of the family has added something new to the garden and the present owners are carrying on that tradition'. end of quotation.

On the site you will also see the Knebworth Forte which is an adventure playground for children (and some adults!!) and has a mini railway. It is a nice distance away from the gardens so they can be enjoyed in relative peace. My 9 year old son loved the maze, the dinosaurs and the fact that the house is Batman's home in the film with Michael Keaton.

It is worth checking before travelling that the grounds are open as they often have events on like Sonisphere, Craft Fairs etc.

My only grip was that I got told off for taking a photo of the front door! There were no signs saying that photos of the house weren't allowed.

Last edited by kramer on 13th December 2010, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kramer
kramer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th December 2010, 2:49 pm

My favourate garden for the spiritual side is the Chalice Well in Glastonbury.
http://www.chalicewell.org.uk/
They have done a good job and the actual well has a strong spiritual power around it but you sometimes have to duck past the "rose-goddess" learning-group types which can be rather distracting. The little kids placing with the water in the race is always refreshing to see!

For inspiration for plants, planting and (spending money) what can be done is Hillier's Arboretum. Now call Sir Harold Hillier Gardens its in Romsey, Hampshire. It has 180acres and an amazing exploration at any time of the year.
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hilliergardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 13th December 2010, 2:56 pm

great Kramer! fleurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down