A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 269 registered users
The newest registered user is Omerko123

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 Hca_button

What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

+8
Sparhawk
AngelinaJellyBeana
freebird
Dandelion
Chilli-head
Jaded Green
polgara
Adrian
12 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by Dandelion 5th October 2020, 6:28 pm

One of this weekend's little craft jobs was to make some simple drawstring bags for my granddaughter's toys so that things can be kept together. (At the moment there is a jumble of sticklebricks, duplo, wooden bricks and other bits and pieces at the bottom of the toy box.) My daughter hasn't got time to organise things (I don't know how she manages to parent a 20 month old and a 12 year old stepson as well as working...) So I asked if I could try out a couple of these bags. I'm making them in different colours with ribbon drawstrings so hopefully she can identify the contents of the bags by colour rather than me needing to label them - she can't read anyway! I'm hoping it will make it easier for her to play constructively, as she gets very bored. And as we look after her one day a week or more it will help us too. I have to admit that I do like order - not to the point of being obsessive about it, but I think I'm an organiser by nature (or nurture).

Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 Empty Re: What arts and craft things have you been making lately?

Post by freebird 6th October 2020, 2:22 pm

Was there meant to be a picture with that, Dandelion? You know it's a HML rule - if there's no picture, you didn't make it!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th October 2020, 10:09 pm

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 P1020310
Just in time - the things were ready packed in my bag to take tomorrow! Very Happy Bags of different sizes, and a little crocheted blanket to wrap toys in to send them to sleep!!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 6th October 2020, 10:10 pm

If the idea takes off I'll buy some fabric with jollier patterns - I was just using what I had to hand. (Our nearest fabric shop still hasn't reopened after the lockdown, so I may have to go online.)
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 6th October 2020, 10:22 pm

The crocheted blanket to send toys off to sleep is inspired!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 7th October 2020, 9:50 pm

Our granddaughter is getting to the point where she tries not to sleep during the day if she thinks there's anything exciting she might be missing, but can be persuaded to settle in her cot for a rest. So we've been doing lots of 'putting toys to sleep' during the morning, then she takes the little blanket (the one I photographed is a spare!) up with her and for some reason it helps her to sleep. I don't know why it works, but it gives us both a chance to draw breath!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th February 2021, 12:19 pm

As a young child I was fascinated by weaving. It's not something I have ever considered doing because the only looms I had seen were big floor looms and I've never had much space. A chance remark on another forum led me to realise that looms don't have to be that big and I resolved to get myself a loom once our building work is complete and I have the space. The ongoing delays with the building work have meant a frustrating wait and so I got myself a little 10" loom to teach myself to weave. I can clamp it on to the end of the dining table and it doesn't take up much room. I used some leftover bits of knitting yarn to try out some samples to start but this is my very first woven article. My aim, when I have a wider loom, is to weave fabrics that I can use for garments.
What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 P1030010
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Chilli-head and freebird like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 18th February 2021, 3:18 pm

That is a pretty impressive first try, very nice. I even like the colour.

I wonder, can I see a picture of the loom ? Sounds interesting.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 18th February 2021, 3:35 pm

It's a rigid heddle loom like this
I knew absolutely nothing about looms or weaving but once I went down that particular rabbit hole I was there for weeks!
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2021, 10:18 am

Your weaving is incredibly even, Ploshkin. We used to use small looms like that at college for weaving samples and then go onto a larger loom when we knew what we wanted to do. My mother was a weaver - I was brought up with one room in the house which was completely filled with a loom. Sadly, having had a family my mother couldn't find time (or probably the mental space) to go back to weaving, so she sold the loom when I was a teenager. But it was fun to play on - we used to climb on top and pretend we were on a double decker bus Very Happy Very Happy
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2021, 10:27 am

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 P1020510
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2021, 10:53 am

I've been invited to join a small group of friends who are working on a poem/textile project. We each choose a poem and interpret it (or part of it) using some form of textile art. Our work is then passed on to the next person in the chain who works into what has already been started, and then after a fortnight posts it to the next person, and so on. There are six of us altogether. It's been really good to have a reason to get my silk paints out again - considering they have been in the cupboard since we moved here, 18 years ago almost to the day, it's amazing that they are still liquid! I've used the poem 'God's Grandeur' by Gerard Manley Hopkins and the line "Like shining from shook foil". I worked on wet silk so that the colours bled together. and I've tacked the silk to the backing in case anyone wants to put padding behind it and quilt it. I've now received the next one to work on, based on 'Jabberwocky', which has some beautiful hand felting and embroidery to add to. It's quite a responsibility to add to what someone else has started, equally to be able to hand your own work on to someone else stops me being too precious about what I've done.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2021, 10:55 am

I'll photograph it when it comes back to me, sometime in May so that you can see how it developed and ended up.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 19th February 2021, 11:31 am

That's an interesting concept Dandelion. I think I'd worry about being devoid of inspiration when I received someone else's bit.
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 19th February 2021, 10:10 pm

Yes, because you don't know what was in their mind, and you certainly don't want to ruin what they've done!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 26th February 2021, 7:50 pm

Why can't I see pictures of Ploshkin's weaving? Are they in a secret part of the forum from which I am barred Laughing
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 26th February 2021, 10:39 pm

Sometimes pictures can take a while to load, FloBear.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chilli-head 26th February 2021, 10:58 pm

That's what happens when you move to the back of beyond Wink

Or it could be specific to your browser - does it get there eventually? If not, what device/browser are you using ? Works for me with Firefox or the Samsung browser.
Chilli-head
Chilli-head
Admin and Boss man

FloBear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 27th February 2021, 8:30 am

Ah, that must be it. The pictures are there this morning. The mobile signal is patchy here and at the moment I only have standard broadband, which is very variable in speed. The company I am with told me, before I moved, that my postcode was not on the list for fibre. We have all the connecting gizmos already here from the previous owners so I shall be phoning the company on Monday to say Oy! Get it sorted!

Eta to say - that weaving looks wonderful, Ploshkin.

And I like the tie-dye very much too.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 23rd May 2021, 3:50 pm

We've had such a lot of rain lately that I have found the time to make the top of a small quilt - 20.5 ins square. I'm quite pleased with it as I still consider myself not much more than a beginner. As long as no-one mentions the slightly wonky lining up in a couple of places.
It's for Pepper-dog to lie on when he jumps up on the sofa next to me. He can dream of cats!

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 2ugp8c10
FloBear
FloBear

Dandelion and freebird like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd May 2021, 4:26 pm

What arts and craft things have you been making lately? - Page 8 My_emb10
I've got my embroidery back - I just need to press it, finish the edges and frame it, but being too impatient to do that first, I've photographed it first!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

freebird likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd May 2021, 4:27 pm

This is the poem, by Gerard Manley Hopkins:
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.
And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploshkin 23rd May 2021, 4:42 pm

Nice bit of quilt piecing Flobear. I do like the colours.
Dandelion, I had to look back to see how you had started it. Are you p!eased with the result?
Ploshkin
Ploshkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd May 2021, 7:04 pm

Yes I am. It's a bit of a gamble picking a poem which is special to you, starting it off then giving it to other people to finish, but I didn't feel at all disappointed when I opened the envelope it arrived back in. The project has been a learning opportunity for me, as I've done very little embroidery since I was 11 and had to embellish my school gingham apron with cross stitch! I know four of the people who are in the group - the fifth is one of the embroidery team from Hereford Cathedral, so no pressure there then!!

Last edited by Dandelion on 23rd May 2021, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 23rd May 2021, 7:05 pm

FloBear - your dog can lie in the lap of luxury on such a beautiful quilt!
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FloBear 23rd May 2021, 7:41 pm

Thank you, Ploshkin.

That's a lovely piece of work, Dandelion. Glad for you that it turned out so well.
FloBear
FloBear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next