A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Similar topics
Pages we like:

Stop Thief !!! Hca_button

Stop Thief !!!

+3
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
freebird
Sparhawk
7 posters

Go down

Stop Thief !!! Empty Stop Thief !!!

Post by Sparhawk 24th October 2011, 3:56 pm

I transplanted a small apple tree from next doors garden last year as a cordon in ours & I'm happy to say it took very well, lots of blossom at blossoming time, which changed into some nice fruits at fruiting time which I thinned down to probably 20 odd on there as I didn't want to over bear it in the first year...

This weekend I was going to make an apple & raspberry crumble using fruit from the garden but low & behold when I went to get the apples, there they were GONE Shocked ...

Having sat back & pondered I cant think what would have had them, there is nothing left, no cores, nothing, I don't see how anyone would have/could have got in or why they would just have taken apples I can't see any animal droppings in the vicinity.

Has anybody any idea what, if any, wildlife could have done this. some of the apples were quite large? BIIK... bigthink
Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Stop Thief !!! Empty Re: Stop Thief !!!

Post by freebird 24th October 2011, 6:15 pm

Our urban foxes love to collect apples - they arrange them in heaps along with stolen tennis balls, golf balls and whatever else they can lay their teeth on. It's a possibility that it could have been foxes.

I've caught squirrels with small apples in their mouths (but more usually my strawberries). And have the ring necked parakeets spread to IoW? Though they tend to bite holes in the fruit whilst still on the tree.

How disappointing - but if you do get to make some apple and raspberry crumble (albeit with bought apples now), try it with homemade almond ice cream. Mmmm mmmmmmm.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 24th October 2011, 6:19 pm

I suspect Polgara.
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 24th October 2011, 7:51 pm

freebird wrote:
How disappointing - but if you do get to make some apple and raspberry crumble (albeit with bought apples now), try it with homemade almond ice cream. Mmmm mmmmmmm.
Do you have a recipe?

Sorry about your apples Spar
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th October 2011, 8:29 pm

Almond ice cream - I just adapt the recipe I have for vanilla ice cream (egg custard base), by substituting 1tsp almond extract for the vanilla, and adding chopped slightly toasted almonds to the mix about half-way through.

If you would like the full recipe, which is for use with a basic ice cream maker, I will pm it to you.

If you like Bakewell tart (which I LUURVE), apple & raspberry crumble with almond ice cream is reminiscent of that, only better. It's my OTQ's favourite pud - OTQ? Other Three Quarters, cos he's a whole lot bigger than me.

Last edited by freebird on 24th October 2011, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 24th October 2011, 10:47 pm

Canidae like dogs and foxes will eat apples but they don't (can't) the tree for them. Pigs eat apples too, but likewise they have to wait for them to fall.

Here at our place a bear would be a possibility but I believe you folks exterminated the last of your bears several hundred years ago. Raccoons, but how many apples could even an entire family of racoons eat and you don't have raccoons.

Twenty apples gone from the tree? Almost certainly a human. This animal is unlikely to leave droppings in your garden. If it did you would know that taking the apples was malice instead of just desire for the apples.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 24th October 2011, 11:14 pm

I was inclined to think human too. But I wouldn't completely rule out four-legged. Foxes will pick soft fruit such as blackberries and raspberries direct from the canes (as does our dog). And Spar did say the apple was a young cordon, so not necessarily very tall, though he doesn't mention if it's an upright cordon, or grown at an angle.

Having said all that, I do recall reading some of Sparhawk's posts about his inconsiderate neighbour's boiler flue. I got the impression that neighbour and he don't get on ..... nuff said?

freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparhawk 25th October 2011, 2:01 am

Thanks for yoour replies folks, interesting reading...

(Need a deer stalker hat & a smoking curly pipe smiley...)

Willhelm: Laughing I think its not Pol, although a good suggestion...
1. She would know better...
2. She probably wouldn't be brave enough to encounter the garden in Sparhawk towers without a guide...
3 She is as puzzled as me...

Freebird:
1. Fox is a possibility, but unlikely, I would have thought it would have gone for the free range chooks next door first & I would have spotted some scat...
2. Parakeets I may have spotted when out & about, but would they have taken complete fruits?
3. Squirrels is a possibility, we have seen a red squirrel in the garden a few years ago...

Yes it is an upright corden about 6' tallish...

Mike:
1. Dogs, foxes, & pigs I would have thought I would have spotted entry/exits from the garden or scat to identify...
2. Bear, I agree it would have to be very old...
3. Racoons... I'm not ruling anything out, I'm purplexed...

Next door neighbour, hmm, possible but very doubtful, we do get on but leave each other to our own devices, I will get Flute to put a piccy on so that you can see a true piccy of how it is situated...

I am thinking of getting some apples from elsewhere & tieing them on & waiting to see what happens, I have a weeks leave next week...

Thanks for all your suggestions, I hope you don't think I have dismissed any without consideration, keep them coming I am totally purplexed...

Could hedgehog be a possibility? I don't know...

Sparhawk
Sparhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilhelm Von Rhomboid 25th October 2011, 8:52 am

Tree climbing hedgehog? hmmmm.

What about kids scrumping? That was a common cause of apple tree denuding when I was a lad. ahem.

Wilhelm Von Rhomboid
Wilhelm Von Rhomboid

http://www.killandcure.net/blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by polgara 25th October 2011, 10:32 am

Oh my Billy, you enter Sparhawk mansions at your own peril believe me, & I do not do fruit as such.

I wondered if it could be a badger of the wild variety, the apples were not small ones & I think most wild animals & birds would be too small. Foxes are not obvious in the area, & as Spar said, no scat at all.

Like several of you I go for the human type of thief, but I am at a loss to know how they know what is in the garden & how they got in.
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by RuthG 25th October 2011, 9:45 pm

Round here it's always the two legged varmints that get them. Then they use them as ammunition to pelt passing cars and our windows! Mad
RuthG
RuthG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down