A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

How long do thingslast in the freezer? Hca_button

How long do thingslast in the freezer?

4 posters

Go down

How long do thingslast in the freezer? Empty How long do thingslast in the freezer?

Post by Jaded Green 9th December 2011, 9:06 am

Specifically breadcrumbs.

I've got 12 oz of breadcrumbs out of the freezer that we froze a year ago. Would be really useful for Christmas pudding. It seems a long time but they are only breadcrumbs.

Would you use them?

I believe that some of the food in our shops has been in freezers for a very long time -remember the EU beef and butter mountains? Buit domestic freezers tend to tell you not to keep stuff for long, although some of the best before (and they are best before) dates are quite long. I look on freezing as suspended animation that probably hasn't that short a time limit, but I am also paranoid about food poisoning!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

How long do thingslast in the freezer? Empty Re: How long do thingslast in the freezer?

Post by freebird 9th December 2011, 11:16 am

I would have thought you were highly unlikely to get food poisoning from breadcrumbs. I have done the same, that is, kept breadcrumbs in the freezer, and all that happens is that they tend to dry out. Personally, I would have no worries about using them. Additionally, if they are going into a Christmas pudding, they are going to be cooked for a good long time. It's not as if you are putting them into a sandwich!
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

How long do thingslast in the freezer? Empty Re: How long do thingslast in the freezer?

Post by polgara 9th December 2011, 11:16 am

Use them, I would
polgara
polgara

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 9th December 2011, 11:34 am

Thank you. My inclination is to use them (and I certainly shall now) but my paranoia can get in the way! They are all ready to sue too and I always find that such a faff. Mind you, we'll need to make some more for the stuffing.

I've got some mashed potato thawing in the cold box that I froze in March, shall probably have that for my lunch.

Anyway, my new fridge freezer has arrived so I hope I shall be more organised with this one. I shall make a list!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dandelion 9th December 2011, 9:41 pm

I can't find the fact to actually quote, but I remember reading in some 'Love Food Hate Waste' booklet that frozen food is perfectly safe to eat after the 'use by' date - it may just be slightly drier, but will not be unsafe. I am a veteran user of elderly frozen breadcrumbs (you know, the little packs of breadcrumbs you freeze to make a quick bread pudding, or a crunchy topping, and then forget about) and have lived to tell the tale. The only ones I throw away are the ones which have unaccountably picked up the tang of kippers...
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 9th December 2011, 11:50 pm

I'm just trying to work out WHEN I've got enough time to make and steam the pud now!
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 13th December 2011, 8:29 pm

I made the puddings on Sunday morning. I got up and measured the flour suet and sugar. The fruit had been soaking overnight in brandy. Mr JG grated and juiced the oranges and I got out the eggs. I then realised I hadn't put in the breadcrumbs! I have to admit they were not very soft, but I hope the teaming and mixture softened them
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by freebird 13th December 2011, 9:44 pm

While we are on the subject of breadcrumbs, if I remember when I am using the oven to cook something long and slow, I spread breadcrumbs out on a tray and put in the bottom of the oven. They dry out thoroughly, and when cool they keep seemingly indefinitely in a screwtop jar. Great for coating fish etc, or sprinkling under a cheese topping for crunchy macaroni/cauliflower cheese etc etc. Don't remember when I last bought breadcrumbs - 1970 something I believe.
freebird
freebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaded Green 15th December 2011, 10:40 am

We're supposed to be self sufficient in breadcrumbs - which is why they were in the freezer. There's a quarter of a loaf I've got to shred later ready for stuffing
Jaded Green
Jaded Green
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down