A Homemade Life
Welcome to Homemade Life.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if not ....

Chilli-head
A Homemade Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 112 on 8th October 2020, 7:09 am
Latest topics
» Hungry Birds
by Dirick55 7th December 2023, 6:04 am

» PRESENTATION
by Chilli-head 23rd November 2023, 2:55 pm

» New Kiva loan
by Chilli-head 21st July 2023, 12:35 pm

» A peat-free compost is top in UK Which? magazine trial
by Dandelion 25th April 2023, 9:42 pm

» New gardening year 2023
by Chilli-head 5th March 2023, 10:15 pm

» What have I done in the workshop today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» What are you harvesting today?
by Dandelion 2nd December 2022, 1:12 pm

» Wartime marrow casserole
by Dandelion 18th October 2022, 4:42 pm

» Late sowings in August ... beans ?
by Ploshkin 11th August 2022, 9:29 am

» Come August, come night in the garden
by Chilli-head 4th August 2022, 3:29 pm

» Welcome guest
by Ploshkin 31st July 2022, 9:16 am

» The Jolly July Garden
by Ploshkin 19th July 2022, 11:38 am

» More mead ...
by Chilli-head 13th July 2022, 12:52 pm

» The June garden thread
by Dandelion 25th June 2022, 9:55 pm

» Plastic bags
by Dandelion 5th June 2022, 7:28 pm

» The merry May garden
by Dandelion 31st May 2022, 10:04 pm

» Fooling around in the April garden
by freebird 1st May 2022, 8:33 am

» March into the garden
by Dandelion 1st April 2022, 7:26 pm

» Mow Suggestions
by freebird 29th March 2022, 5:48 pm

» Some thoughts on resilience
by Ploshkin 12th March 2022, 2:23 pm

Statistics
We have 270 registered users
The newest registered user is Lloyd

Our users have posted a total of 48045 messages in 2416 subjects
Pages we like:

Wish someone who drank was here today lol. Hca_button

Wish someone who drank was here today lol.

3 posters

Go down

Wish someone who drank was here today lol. Empty Wish someone who drank was here today lol.

Post by GB 23rd August 2013, 5:30 pm

I poured my pindo palm fruit vinegar experiment into a glass today. It has spent 4 months gently bubbling away and finally all the stuff on top sank to the bottom so it was time to see what it tasted like.

If the smell was anything to go by, it probably tasted like about a THOUSAND PROOF liquor! Shocked 

Being afraid of getting my pigs drunk it all went down the sink, way too many alcaholics in my gene pool to even taste the stuff.

And the smell coming out of the cooler with the washed honeycomb would make a monk VERY happy.

Seems like I missed out on the jelly setting gift but got double helpings of ferment the danged stuff instead. laughy 
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Wish someone who drank was here today lol. Empty Re: Wish someone who drank was here today lol.

Post by Dandelion 24th August 2013, 9:46 am

not even a tiny sip?
Dandelion
Dandelion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wish someone who drank was here today lol. Empty Re: Wish someone who drank was here today lol.

Post by Mike 25th August 2013, 1:48 pm

Only half way there, GB

If you are trying to make vinegar, first step the yeasts (which are anaerobes) convert the sugars to alcohol. Second step, the vinegar molds (aerobes) convert the alcohol to vinegar. You said "when bubbling stopped" but bubbles you get when organisms living below the surface are releasing gasses (in this case the yeasts releasing carbon dioxide as they oxidize sugar to alcohol). No bubbling as the vinegar molds oxidize the alcohol to acetic acid since being aerobes they have to live on the surface.
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by GB 25th August 2013, 4:10 pm

Dandelion wrote:not even a tiny sip?
Not even a tiny sip! It smelt so good, you see Shocked scared me it did! The smell of rum and brandy and bourbon make me sick to my stomach but this stuff smelled fruity and rich and yummy.

After I poured it down the drain I suddenly realized that my pigs might move easier if I got them drunk Laughing 

Mike, it made a thick mat of greyish mouldy stuff that finally sank to the bottom and only a thin skim of something and a tiny patch of mold were still on the top. But as I only had a two liter bottle with a paper towel wrapped around the mouth it had been steadily evaporating so was only about half the starting volume.

A good try and I WILL do it again, if the vinegar is half as good as the other stuff smelled it will be a great addition to salads!
GB
GB
Homemade Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 25th August 2013, 5:34 pm

Evaporation not a direct problem in the sense that while the water will evaporate the acetic acid won't. Vinegar is usually a 5% solution.

But excessive evaporation might be a problem with the acid concentration becoming too high for the mold while there is still alcohol left behind. It is, after all, their waste product. Except I'd expect the alcohol to be evaporating faster than the water. Not only does it have a higher "partial pressure" than water but there would be little alcohol vapor compared to water vapor in the air above the container.

Try again. You might want to bone up on how to test for the acid (what percent do you have). High school chemistry, not "rocket science".
Mike
Mike

Location : Step by Step Farm, Berkshire Mtns, Massachusetts, USA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down